• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How to improve energy at work?

Qoyote

19M*.

I'm starting my first job this month (summer job, don't know where but 90% sure retail/restaurant, probably 25-30 hours).

I have two related problems:
  1. Have a hard time focusing on something I don't want to do for very long (10-15 minutes maybe) unless it's really repetitive. Talking = never repetitive.
  2. I don't complain, but I burn out very easily and it's obvious from my body language. I'm a good student so no one cares in school, so I've never done anything remotely this long where I had to keep my energy up. This could be a problem every day.
I know, I know, they'll hire anyone with a pulse at these places, but I don't want to be the guy who can't do his job, and the only reason I'm doing this is to get something out of it for the future.

What do you think I should do about this?

*Really 18 but I'll be 19 before the job ends, I'm not fresh out of high school.

Clearing tables and washing up would be very repetitive. Or a factory type job? But you could try for something that holds your interest, that was my best strategy for holiday jobs. Working in a betting shop as a cashier was challenging but I got the hang of it. Post sorting was repetitive.

Whatever you try, persevere for at least 2 weeks or ideally a month, even if it's tough or unenjoyable, you may get the hang of it better or fall into a groove.

Your first week is only going to be slightly better than your first day. Give yourself time to adjust--your employer shouldn't expect you to be perfect from the beginning--unless they are abusive.

Figure out the job and then make those elements part of it. For example, I worked in a center were I was going to be interrupted at anytime and was expected to serve that person. That is really hard for me to be pulled from something and then return to that task. I decided the being interrupted was actually a job duty. I built that in to me work. Not only were the interruption not unwlecome, but it reduced the stress I normally would have had by being interrutped.

I also try to take on a work persona. That give me a place to work from because it is an act. It give a framework for the things I need to do and how I am supposed to do them. So, in a customer service position, I made scripts for different situations, which helped me in learning to engage with people.

As far as long hours, that simply comes from doing it. You are going to be exhausted when you begin. As you learn your job and get used to the demands, it becomes easier. You will have bad days, but forgive yourself. You need something outside work that will help you recharge. That can be different for different people, but be careful of depression, which will only work against you. That becomes a spiral.

As far as the job search, be creative. Look in different places. Do you need to make money? Look for places that need volunteers--animal shelters for example. Or mix a paying job with a volunteer job.

19M*.

I'm starting my first job this month (summer job, don't know where but 90% sure retail/restaurant, probably 25-30 hours).

I have two related problems:
  1. Have a hard time focusing on something I don't want to do for very long (10-15 minutes maybe) unless it's really repetitive. Talking = never repetitive.
  2. I don't complain, but I burn out very easily and it's obvious from my body language. I'm a good student so no one cares in school, so I've never done anything remotely this long where I had to keep my energy up. This could be a problem every day.
I know, I know, they'll hire anyone with a pulse at these places, but I don't want to be the guy who can't do his job, and the only reason I'm doing this is to get something out of it for the future.

What do you think I should do about this?

*Really 18 but I'll be 19 before the job ends, I'm not fresh out of high school.
Eating lunch outside? Can you go out and see Nature or clear your head outside?

New Threads

Top Bottom