• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How often are you accused of overreacting? !

When I look back at my father's life now, through the lens of Aspergers, I finally understand why he was never able to get promoted higher. He would write these long intense diatribes that my sister and I later found in his papers after his death. Reports of some detail that he perceived as the crux of some larger issue. He may have even been right, but his over intensity kept him from being heard by the "powers that be." Makes me so sad for him now that I understand why. If I had been able to figure all this out before he died, maybe he could have found more peace.

When ever I have a meltdown, which thankfully is not too often, my husband says I am over reacting and yes, like you say, I can see why he thinks that and I even feel that I am over reacting.

The worst is when I think my husband has said something really illogical and cannot get my head around it and yet, he insists he is logical and when I can feel myself getting angry, he tells me that I am sensless and I say to him: I can assure you, that I have all my senses there; I know exactly what I am saying; even if I am saying it bad.

I actually have a very high tolerance for
By my husband especially. YES! I have learned to tone it down at work, but sometimes, my passionate disposition takes over, even there. Usually during that time of month, when it's really hard to contain it. That intensity is always there, though. Most people that don't know me as well believe that I'm rather shy. I figured out at some point early on in life, that my intensity was unwelcome by most of the world, so I have learned to squelch it in most circles until someone gets to know me. I think my husband would like for me to act like I don't know him so well. ;)
My intense manner of explaining things freaks him out.
I totally am the same way with the 'intensity' ! I too have learned to extremely tone that down around coworkers and strangers, only my family gets to see 'the crazy', as my husband ever so lovingly:mad: calls it!
It's very hard to contain it, especially since I have such a hard time explaining my thought process and my feelings. I have come a looong way though.

When ever I have a meltdown, which thankfully is not too often, my husband says I am over reacting and yes, like you say, I can see why he thinks that and I even feel that I am over reacting.

The worst is when I think my husband has said something really illogical and cannot get my head around it and yet, he insists he is logical and when I can feel myself getting angry, he tells me that I am sensless and I say to him: I can assure you, that I have all my senses there; I know exactly what I am saying; even if I am saying it bad.
YES!! When they insist that you're the one who is being illogical!
It would be funny, if it weren't so annoying, how we get called out on EVERYTHING, but we can't call NTs on anything, no matter how little sense it makes. I guess it's because we seem to be the oddballs, since they are the majority. Still ANNOYING! !!

I can get upset over the slightest change in anything and even the most trivial comment or something... and god help me with the time it takes to regulate back to being out of the mood. I hate these extremes they really get me down!!! I know how you feel.

I more often over react than am accused of doing so.

I sense that this bodes badly for me on many levels.

That I find the idea funny pesters like a joker in my head.

A lot. I tend to GO BIG!

But this is a very self-centered stance for the most part, triggered by someone who is showing their lack of empathy. Suppose I drop a hammer on my toe. I'm gimping around swearing because it hurts, they are all, "You are making such a big deal" because it wasn't hurting their toe.

On a semi regular basis.

Particularly when I react angrily to being trolled on a certain gaming forum (which is now blocked on both my Chromebook PCs).

In work, before I moved to checkouts, it was always "hilarious" how much I would "overreact" at things being out of place in the warehouse. We had the roll cages all seperated out into aisles and I would absolutely lose my sh*t when a roll cage had incorrect items on it, because keeping things seperated just makes things easier for everyone.

I'M NOT OVERREACTING! I SWEAR! I'M PERFECTLY FINE! *tic* *twitchtwitch*

Never. My inability to emote has often caused a rift between my family and I. I'm often accused of being aloof, uncaring, and disinterested. But it might be a cultural thing because I come from an extremely loud dramatic,extroverted black family. And typically when something bothers or overstimulates me I developed my special imaginary place as a child to mentally check out from my loud overbearing family. I still go there a lot in my adult life.
sit them down and say if you dont want me to be ill listen to what autism does to my perception every day i cant understand social interraction
sound is very intense i have sensitive hearing
they cant know unless you educate them

On occasion, though I don't really agree with them. In my case, I have found after questioning that what people usually mean by that is "As an NT, this doesn't bother me at all. Why does it both you so much? Stop it, it's weirding me out." :rage:
From my side, I see NTs getting very emotional about all sorts of things I don't, but I try to understand that even if it's not something that bothers me at all, it's perfectly valid for them to get upset. I wish I got the same understanding a bit more :disappointed:

New Threads

Top Bottom