• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How often are you accused of overreacting? !

Aspiegirl75

How often do you get accused of overreacting?
I personally get accused of overreacting almost on daily basis by my husband!
I definitely don't think I overreact and arguably sometimes I can see why he would think that, but most of the time I don't.
And when I try to explain why I'm reacting the way I did, my inability to explain myself or express my feelings, makes me sound petty and stupid!! I'm truly NOT!
Anybody else experience this?

Yes, usually when I try to explain why something has upset me, or a sensory issue. If my explanation is found wanting, I'm often accused of exaggerating/overreacting. One reason I've stopped trying to explain.

Almost never. The sound of snoring--and to a lesser extent chewing--will instantly fill me with rage as it goes right through me. Even with earphones in on loud, I can tell when something is snoring as I can feel it vibrate everything including my own body and it makes me feel physically sick.

I'm accused of over-reacting constantly. Even in school, I had teachers tell me I shouldn't be so upset by stupid policies (those really get my blood boiling!). I admit, I do tend to be passionate if something moves me in any way. Its like I over-express emotion when I actually feel it, or over-express it because I've been told I don't express properly, so I over-act the part to make sure its noticed (all on a subconscious level, of course). Hmmm....so I don't have appropriate emotional responses to things. I do indeed over-react, and it is pointed out to me when I do.

I do by my sister and mom which are the two people I talk to. With my mom it's caused by me not being able to get my point across and misunderstandings. And with my sister.... It's easy to feel harassed by her, she's loud and does not give up on things until I do what she wants me to do. So I overreact in a subtle way... I guess either behind people's backs or just enough that I wont get in-your-face anger back.
Like today. My sister was yelling at me to pour my own bowl of yogurt instead of eating the small tub of it myself. I was thinking, no I don't respect you right now and I'm hungry. She was following me, yellin' at me, so behind her back I dumped most of it on the ground for the dog. I love my dog I didn't see it as a waste.

Hardly ever. I tend to be the other way around: I'm very calm and collected, usually analyzing the situation in silence. In the past many people have interpreted this as disinterest, luckily I've been able to surround myself with more and more people that see the value in this trait.

I over react all the time.

Catastrophise over library books being, and oh **** I've left my dry cleaning at the laundromat another day, making a round 4 weeks, and all my suits are probably in a charity shop now, and I've lost thousands of dollars of work suits and only have one suit now that's cheap and to small, and what am I going to do now?

The above are all true and tied to my hopeless memory.

Hardly ever. I tend to be the other way around: I'm very calm and collected, usually analyzing the situation in silence. In the past many people have interpreted this as disinterest, luckily I've been able to surround myself with more and more people that see the value in this trait.

I'm pretty calm as well. Most of the time I can feel myself snap from okay to angry. I'm pretty self aware about most of the things I do. So when I feel the anger I just lock it away. Usually comes off as uninterested or that I'm ignoring the person.

When I was younger, my parents would yell at me for not listening. Can't make everyone happy.

I am accused of overreacting more times than I could count,....

I definitely don't think I overreact and arguably sometimes I can see why he would think that, but most of the time I don't.
And when I try to explain why I'm reacting the way I did, my inability to explain myself or express my feelings, makes me sound petty and stupid!! I'm truly NOT!

All the time. NTs get upset over things we find stupid or irrational. We get upset and react to things that make sense to us to feel deeply or emotion about. We also have sensory disorder that can lead to meltdowns or shutdowns.
They'll never understand fully but should accept us as we are...like we are forced to do for them each and every day!

Almost on a daily basis. My family just thinks I'm an overdramatic liar. And even though both my mother and one of her other daughters work(ed) with special ed students, they know nothing about Asperger's or other Autistic disorders.

I'm still deeply immersed in ascertaining what actually constitutes an "overreaction". :p

Ever overthinking things. THAT I've been accused of MANY times. :eek:

Never. My inability to emote has often caused a rift between my family and I. I'm often accused of being aloof, uncaring, and disinterested. But it might be a cultural thing because I come from an extremely loud dramatic,extroverted black family. And typically when something bothers or overstimulates me I developed my special imaginary place as a child to mentally check out from my loud overbearing family. I still go there a lot in my adult life.

By my husband especially. YES! I have learned to tone it down at work, but sometimes, my passionate disposition takes over, even there. Usually during that time of month, when it's really hard to contain it. That intensity is always there, though. Most people that don't know me as well believe that I'm rather shy. I figured out at some point early on in life, that my intensity was unwelcome by most of the world, so I have learned to squelch it in most circles until someone gets to know me. I think my husband would like for me to act like I don't know him so well. ;)
My intense manner of explaining things freaks him out.

New Threads

Top Bottom