• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How many wake up hearing music in their head and lots of racing thoughts?

Yeah
Everything from how to save all the birds on earth from harm, to what really is the ideal protein source, to why does peanut butter taste so good & is that because I’m actually sligjtly allergic to it, to how could A I design a new system of socio-economic success for humans & the earth, to what I would say to my ex if he’d ever &%{^}#! listen to me again, to debating with my self over how much paint to order, to reminding myself to pump the tires of my bicycle before going out, to marvelling over the fact that I am amazingly still alive and full of breath & love, to wishing I’d never have another nightmare ever again, to wishing I had a puppy, and yes I could go on and on.

Welcome to my life, it never ends. I am the most hyperactive person on the face of the earth with ironic fatigue issues often, so easily burned out. I kind of need to just adapt to the chaos and learn how to use it all to my advantage, I need some help if you know what I mean to manage myself there but you gotta do what you gotta do to keep yourself well. As long as i can at least sleep at night I'm satisfied.

I had an interesting conversation with my sister a few weeks ago, she mentioned she heard original musical compositions while she is dreaming. she has no musical ability, also an Aspie.

What she told me it was an every day occurrence since she was a child, some are pretty good wishes she could write it down. She thought her ability was typical, everybody had it.

Last edited:
What she told me it was an every day occurrence since she was a child, some are pretty good wishes she could write it down. She thought her ability was typical, everybody had it.
It doesn't happen every day, it only happened to me a couple of times. But when it happened, I really wished I could write it down. Unfortunately I don't know how to do that.

I wonder how common it is, I had never heard of it happening to anyone else up to now.

It's happened to me too. And I've also had tormenting dreams where I was out collecting records and had the records of these songs & compositions, bought them at a good price, and woke up, heading for the victrola to play my new dream-records...
...which of course does not work. The vic is fine but I cannot play imagination on it.

Our minds run way too fast!

This looks like an old thread, but it's a good topic.

I don't know if a racing mind is from autism or ADHD (I have both) or a combination of the two, but when I was younger my mind would race from thought to thought (often random) constantly. It never stopped. Now that I'm older it's calmed down a bit but my thoughts are still very often random and for no reason, no association whatsoever to the previous thought, random memories will pop into my mind from decades ago, childhood, etc.

On music: I love music, but I have to be very careful with it because I'm very prone to "looping" (which is what I call it) where a song or usually a small part of a song will loop in my mind on repeat over and over and over. I can get a song or part of a song stuck in my head sometimes for many days. I do NOT listen to music before bed for that very reason.

Thanks for suggestion some days my mind really races get epithany, of some sort play it in my mind for the whole night.

This looks like an old thread, but it's a good topic.

I don't know if a racing mind is from autism or ADHD (I have both) or a combination of the two, but when I was younger my mind would race from thought to thought (often random) constantly. It never stopped. Now that I'm older it's calmed down a bit but my thoughts are still very often random and for no reason, no association whatsoever to the previous thought, random memories will pop into my mind from decades ago, childhood, etc.

On music: I love music, but I have to be very careful with it because I'm very prone to "looping" (which is what I call it) where a song or usually a small part of a song will loop in my mind on repeat over and over and over. I can get a song or part of a song stuck in my head sometimes for many days. I do NOT listen to music before bed for that very reason.

I get the looping thing the most often and on the above in my dreams I have heard original music before that doesn't exist, it sounds really good too and I wish it actually exists. If I had to describe what this original looping stuff in my head sounds like it is very similar to something like this track from this amazing album. Bvdub is so far the only artist on the face of the earth that has been able to replicate this in music and it sounds heavenly.

My sister just became a grandmother, a few days ago, I ask for more details when see her again
in the next few weeks.

Improvisation on an instrument, very generally speaking, requires three skills. First, the ability to play the instrument. Second, the ability to create music spontaneously in your mind. And third, the ability to play the music you hear in your mind.

I believe what people are basically describing is being gifted in the second ability.

I lack in the third ability and so what I play does not sound identical to what I create in my mind.

I usually have at least one song stuck in my head at any given time, if that counts. If I'm in a safe stimming environment I'll usually whistle it on repeat or tap out the drums on my desk, lol

I usually have at least one song stuck in my head at any given time, if that counts. If I'm in a safe stimming environment I'll usually whistle it on repeat or tap out the drums on my desk, lol
I call this the soundtrack of my life. It is on eternal repeat and also seemingly on random play.

I don't know about racing thoughts but I certainty have a noisy mind. Nearly all the time there is music playing, in my head, usually short repeated phrases of a song or tune, I don't lose sleep over it but it can be a bit annoying at times.

New Threads

Top Bottom