• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How many wake up hearing music in their head and lots of racing thoughts?

Rob

V.I.P Member
Hi -
How many of you wake up feeling bedridden with a mind that won't stop making noise?
Theme music, random racing thoughts and other stuff seem to play constantly in my mind, especially when I am trying to fall asleep and upon waking up.

Is this common among those with ASD?

Guilty as charged. Quite often the second I wake I feel like a hard drive booting up. :rolleyes:

So many thoughts, often difficult to pay attention to all of it. Only exercise and doing various things that I can concentrate on fully seem to change that.

I can't sleep in if I wake, I've been told to just roll over and stop my mind thinking. I have no power to stop the avalanche of thoughts and worries. This is often accompanied my music. Sometimes it is a song I don't like so I try to play one of my favorites in my head. There is never a possibility of going back to sleep and I often feel worn out by the accompanying stress of what the day has in store.

My mind never stops, and there is often music with it. I sleep better with a TV on because anything on the TV is more relaxing than my mind running.

I've been sleeping with fans because they drown out the noise in my head. I don't have a telly or I would leave that on.

The ear worms certainly seem to take over in the night.

Hi -
How many of you wake up feeling bedridden with a mind that won't stop making noise?
Theme music, random racing thoughts and other stuff seem to play constantly in my mind, especially when I am trying to fall asleep and upon waking up.

Is this common among those with ASD?

It often happens that I will have a dream in which I hear a song coming from somewhere, and upon waking up it's still there, just swirling around in my mind. There even was a time when a song featured in a dream I was having, and upon awakening from sleep it was being played on the clock-radio. I don't think it's associated with 'ASD' though. Doesn't this sort of thing happen to everyone, at least occasionally?

I have difficulty shutting off my brain in order to go to sleep but when I wake in the morning I am quite groggy because I don't sleep well without taking Benadryl. I also take meds for anxiety and if I don't I wake up in a state of panic.

I don't think it's an ASD trait. This is commonly experienced by everyone during times of personal stress, which may or may not be caused by life-events ASD-related.

This morning I woke up with:

For a reasons I don't really understand. It's not a song I'm particularly fond of, or even know that well. Suspect it was in a movie that I watched sometime last week. So I went with it, and danced about as I made coffee and breakfast. My brain is my biggest entertainment. (And I found it, it's used in a movie called 'Red Dog' which I watched last week).

I find a 'going to bed routine' helps, bath, brushing teeth, helps with the racing thoughts.

Last edited:
When I wake up my brain starts racing, sometimes my racing brain wakes me up. It can be music, a few random music notes, movie scenes, a shopping list, or sometimes a random name. Somehow I’ve had Jim Jarmusch’s name randomly pop up in my head for the last few days. No idea how or why I got that name stuck in my head. I even had to google the guy and now I know who he is but I still can’t figure out how I got his name in my head. It’s exhausting sometimes.

Hi - How many of you wake up feeling bedridden with a mind that won't stop making noise? Theme music, random racing thoughts and other stuff seem to play constantly in my mind, especially when I am trying to fall asleep and upon waking up. Is this common among those with ASD?

Gosh, I do not know how common this is among autistic people so of course I cannot answer to that.

I often wake up with hyper-complex symphonies in my head. They are chiefly bluegrass (specifically what is called "newgrass" in the music category), with pedal steel, lap steel, mandolins, violins, cellos, and banjo. The music is dominated by string instruments, upper and middle scales punctuated with lower bass syncopation.

Swan Lake, op.20,act 1:no 5 pas de deux -II. Adante - Allegro.
04 mins 04 seconds into the piece onwards.

The above ear worm has been with me for 48hrs.
It fills gaps in my thoughts. over and over.
I need to 'change the record',
brain doesn't appear to be taking requests currently :)

Yeah
Everything from how to save all the birds on earth from harm, to what really is the ideal protein source, to why does peanut butter taste so good & is that because I’m actually sligjtly allergic to it, to how could A I design a new system of socio-economic success for humans & the earth, to what I would say to my ex if he’d ever &%{^}#! listen to me again, to debating with my self over how much paint to order, to reminding myself to pump the tires of my bicycle before going out, to marvelling over the fact that I am amazingly still alive and full of breath & love, to wishing I’d never have another nightmare ever again, to wishing I had a puppy, and yes I could go on and on.

New Threads

Top Bottom