• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How many people spend Christmas alone?

Do you spend Christmas alone.

• Total voters

Outdated

I'm from the other end of the spectrum.
V.I.P Member
Even as a kid I hated Christmas because of the social obligations. Later as a single adult I looked forward to it because it was the one day of the year where everyone would be busy with their families and I was guaranteed to be left in peace. These days most of my life is that peaceful and it's just a day like any other to me, slightly annoying when I forget it's Christmas and discover that all the shops are shut.

Even as a kid I hated Christmas because of the social obligations. Later as a single adult I looked forward to it because it was the one day of the year where everyone would be busy with their families and I was guaranteed to be left in peace. These days most of my life is that peaceful and it's just a day like any other to me, slightly annoying when I forget it's Christmas and discover that all the shops are shut.
I am sorry you do. Some people may enjoy it, hope you do not get too lonely.

I have spent Christmas away from my family alone and it was lonely and hard so I always think of the people alone too. It is a harsh world we live in.
I am going through my own feelings of hardship where I do not understand why life is so harsh and how it works out well in the end. I know there are hardships but it can be way more harsh than i would hope.
Everyone has their own reality. I do not think that anyone can relate to someone that was murdered at 25 or someone who commit suicide at 19 or someone who was hit by a train at 17. But life can be hard.
Wish you a Merry Christmas xo

I hope to never spend Christmas alone.
Christmases have always been made special for me, even as an adult. It's always been exciting and the social obligations are just a bonus. It's the only time my husband gets to see his family all together, including his little grandson, and I get to see all my little nieces and nephews together. It's so nice giving gifts too.

Its a bit of an ordeal for me, to be honest. But the few Christmases I spent alone, were sad and horrible too (I missed my children).
I didn't handle it well, at 7, when I figured out that my folks lied to me about father Christmas, or Santa, as the American folk call that story figure. I felt betrayed and I've not felt very comfortable about the day since. It doesn't help that it's my mum's birthday too.
It's too many expectations and commitments and social obligations for me to enjoy, it's more something to endure and see it through until it's over, unfortunately.
Having said that, I can't bear my children to "miss out" so if my two youngest son's want to spend it with me and my guy, I hope I can accommodate.

My dearest wish is to go to a water hole, with a picnic, and have a swim.

My dearest wish is to go to a water hole, with a picnic, and have a swim.
That sounds like a perfect day to me, especially with the heat you've got over that way at the moment. Here it's cold and raining with flood warnings. I was really hoping we'd get a proper summer at last this year but it doesn't look like it's going to happen so far.

I found out Santa wasn't real when I was 9, in the middle of the summer. My cousin, a little older than me, said matter-of-factly that our parents are the ones that give us presents and that Santa is just a fictional character you tell small children about. And it all slotted into place and logic suddenly prevailed. I just pretended I knew that all along and shrugged. My parents sensed I didn't believe in him the following Christmas, so they didn't need to keep up the charade any more.
It's not just parents who make up Santa to their kids, it's made believable in children's books and TV shows, there's usually a Santa in the mall, and even school teachers talk about Santa like he's real too. So most parents feel their children might miss out on the magic this fictional character brings if they don't play the charade for their children.

I enjoy quietly going to church and then going home, playing carols on the organ or the victrola, and reading the first chapters of St Lukes Gospel. I telephone my family and friends and then call it a day.

Last Christmas I spent with my parents and a water pipe exploded. Dad lost it, I spent the next few hours hiding in a back room, lost my job because I was not able to keep up, and then had a full bore mental breakdown two weeks later in January. It's how I realized that I needed to treat myself for what I think was C-PTSD. Doing better now but it's been a longer and busier year.

Looking forward to Christmas alone this year.

I mostly keep to myself.

The family will try to get me to attend the big events with extended family, but as a rule I refuse to do that. I dont see the point. It's a HUGE extended family, like really huge. I mean good grief I have cousins I've never even met before. And going to those events as a kid... or being forced to go... always seemed like a pointless waste. Go there, pretend that I have any bloody clue who some people were, or for those who I technically do recognize, pretend that there's anything resembling a real connection. When in reality, I dont know them, they dont know me. I would usually just go through the mind-numbing rituals of saying "hi" and then "I'm fine" when asked how I was, and that nonsense, and then I'd go find some room to hide in till it was time to leave.

These days I just refuse. I'll spend time with immediate family, and I'll go visit my grandmother, who I am actually close to. And I'll spend time with my brother once he pops over for a visit.

Beyond that though? No, I'll just stay at the house and do my hobbies and such. Maybe I'll go for a drive for the fun of it.

I prefer to be alone and quiet. I have occasionally taken the canoe out into the swamp at daybreak. Guaranteed solitude.

Quakers don’t hold any day as more holy than another because all our days are gifts from the divine. That fit in with my take on it.

For those people with large, loving families, I think the coming together for good food, songs, and (reasonable) gifts is wonderful.

That reminds me, I do love singing Christmas carols and wish there were a group to sing with.

I suppose alone for me is easier. I put a sign up warning of 'Humbug Zone' and do about the same as I do every day. The only slight difference is the food. Sauté potatoes have always been something I like along with getting told off for eating too much stuffing. Sprouts however.... I don't need them :smilingimp:

I may have to this time around. I've been getting a lot of really bad vibes from my NT cousin, the only relative who lives in town, let alone is still alive. Not 100% sure she'll want to spend Christmas with me. Especially after I told her she's free to spend Thanksgiving with her friend last year.

Seems over the years we've become ever more distant from one another. Perhaps to a point when family ties are no longer enough to keep us together, even for the holidays.

All I know is that it's pretty bad when someone periodically seems to project that they hate me, without actually saying it in plain English. I'd rather get it over and done with than continue under false pretenses with holidays and all the rituals they may involve. When it seems to get ever more difficult each year and has for a long time. Only recently she blithely informed me that she switched her "next of kin" from me to her friend. Quite a hint if you ask me. :(

Last edited:
My wife and my parents passed away years ago next generation getting married having families so seeing less of extended family really liked seeing cousins and nieces and nephews in past. everybody's house is now too small for
large get togethers. looking forward to showing granddaughter magic of Christmas. Sister has huge house, but I do not like imposing on hers he has her own grandson. to share the time with.

I'd much rather spend the day alone but usually we have a big family gathering that goes on for days.

One year I was in the middle of chemotherapy and my immune system was shot. I needed to stay in isolation - so I joined in with the family gathering by video call. This was great because I was only involved for a short while and I could turn the volume down.

Another year I was travelling in Mexico and had an accident on the motorcycle which meant I was waiting for parts to do repairs and ended up spending Christmas in a hotel. That was also nice.

But other than those occasions, I usually attend the family gathering and it's an ordeal. I only go because my mother wants me to. It's all just ******** though. My whole family is like it. They all seem to think they have a duty to spend christmas together but then behind the scenes they complain about how annoying everyone is. It's like we just go through the motions every year. And they say autistic people are the socially dysfunctional ones!

I've struggled with holiday overwhelm most of my life, and it gets harder the older I get. There's sensory overload from too many decorations. Stress about gift-giving. And then the social pressure of visiting family. I usually end up working holidays so I have a valid reason to skip going to the in-law's. As stressful as work is, the fact that I prefer it to holiday socializing says a lot.

I masked my holiday stress heavily when the kids were growing up. I didn't want to besmirch their magical holiday experience. Plus I had a lot of shame and frustration over "Why Am I Such a Grinch??" because I had no idea I was on the spectrum. Had I known sooner, I doubt I'd like holidays any better, but at least I'd have understood my panic and wish for it to be "just another day."

I think I was around 5 when I got a Robot Commando for Christmas. My Uncle worked at the factory in NYC so we got a discount. Very cool toy. The head opened up and fired missiles and one arm threw ping pong ball type projectiles. My older Brother and Sister got a Puppet Show. When they were ready to start their first show for the family Christmas morning I attacked.

robotcommando1.JPG

So I think its better for me to be alone sometimes.

One of my best friends in Catholic grade school wrote something like this in my 8th grade graduation yearbook 'I hope you get drafted and go and get killed in Vietnam because you are a madman and the world will be safer.' It's important to have good friends like that. :D

My family is different than most, why I enjoyed it so much like my son says it's like attending a Mensa convection.
my wife has major organizing skills my sister has the venue but is also on the spectrum. Forgets to call my wife to help plan, too late for this year, Neice just got engaged. three grandchildren in family now who for all intents and purposes are pseudo first cousins. Covid and a bit of a fiasco last year screwed this year. My wife is a big part of the puzzle. She is an NT but we need her.

I have spent Christmas away from my family alone and it was lonely and hard so I always think of the people alone too. It is a harsh world we live in.
I'm sorry for those that require the company of others to not feel lonely. I find that to be a double edged sword making it easy to get hurt.

I never feel lonely when alone, but I always feel lonely when in the company of others. In fact, that is when I feel lonely. The world does feel harsh to me, but only when in the company of others.

Actually, there are people that I can be with and feel welcome, safe, connected and never feel lonely, but none of them are of the human species.

I have spent many Christmas alone. Though since living with my Uncle, I do not anymore. Though my own headspace refuses to believe that I am anything but perpetually alone. So there is that.

New Threads

Top Bottom