• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

how do you see your autism?

how do you see your autism?

• (my) autism is a disability for me

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • (my) autism isn´t a disability for me

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • (my) autism is partly a disability for me, but partly not

Votes: 20 64.5%

• Total voters

Shaddock

V.I.P Member
there are some parts of my autism, which feels like a disability for me, like my noise sensibility (I think its because the noise filter in the thalamus (part of the brain) is broken or lacks (I´ve heard about that). but some parts feel neutral or positive and like they are a natural part of mine.

I think there is a movement which sees autism as a natural kind of being and call it "neurodiversity."

Also there is a verdict which says "you are not disabled, its just that the society disables you (from doing something)." And "if most people would be autists, people without autism would be the one who counts as disabled". And I have heard that all people got autistic properties, but the most people are so less autistic (see "autistic spectrum (incident)"), so they are not called "autists."

"fun" fact: got lifetime banned for the same question in another forum, because people said that I would deny their suffering, when I say that my autism partly don´t feel like a disability for me. they started insulting me and admin said "you caused a riot, so bye." wth

Sure, I am a german, but I didn´t wanted to start world war III with that question (in the other forum) (irony).

Last edited by a moderator:
I try to not complain and some things are for me not bad or negative. But I would love to be better with people, more social and just understanding people better. More outgoing. I know people who say things like "guys, let's go to New York today!" and later the same afternoon they are on a plane. Easy going and social people. That I want. I`m not hopeless, it's just more difficult for me to be spontaneous and easy going like that.

I understand that. For me I don´t even want to do things the same like others. For example walking in the park mostly is enough for me, I know that going to a concert would not feel good for me, but because I don´t even want to, it´s not a problem for me. The only problem is to find people that fits to me. And if it does not fit, often I think that it´s just the "wrong" person for me and if someone else I would fit better and things like "not being that spontaneous" would not be a problem.

but thats only my feeling with that. but I also had difficulties in social interaction and I worked on that and got a bit better and that was something I could and wanted to change (so good as possible).

For the most part, I feel like it’s only a disability when I’m in certain situations where it clashes with the norm, such as work or in certain social situations.

It can be hard to say how enabled or disabled one is by an aspect of one's self, I suppose. How to get the distance and perspective to judge that, also how to work out what is caused by others or circumstances, rather than how I am...

Given the general current lack of knowledge about or any understanding of autism, I feel both somewhat disabled and somewhat enabled by my autism. Plus, I wouldn't be me without it.

In the grand scheme of things I have some disabilities that are way worse than autism. So I only think of it as a social disability, really. In some ways it makes my life more interesting, like having special interests and being super creative and multitalented.

My stroke has caused more issues than than being on spectrum ever would have. Being
undiagnosed, did not hurt, I did not see myself as that different, I always been a bit of a loner. Never really cared what others thought What being on the spectrum gave me, defined me Would not trade for any thing.

In the grand scheme of things I have some disabilities that are way worse than autism. So I only think of it as a social disability, really. In some ways it makes my life more interesting, like having special interests and being super creative and multitalented.

Nailed it. If anything, ADHD and depression has made my life a living hell more than anything.

Nailed it. If anything, ADHD and depression has made my life a living hell more than anything.
Yup. ADHD, depression, some medical disabilities, and complex PTSD and childhood trauma have made my life pretty hard.
I’m sorry you struggle with depression too :(

(Shaddock) I'm in the same mind set as you. Never been the type to avoid controversy. Coming from a large family. Even when I was working. Would let my superiors know when thought they were wrong. had a few intense moments with immediate supervisors where the door need to be closed. as it got loud. I was respected, time would tell I was correct.

Last edited:
My autism has affected me significantly, but I am not my autism. I was severely isolated as a teen and young adult and have been in therapy for PTSD from that time. 4 months of intense cognitive processing and some Cymbalta and I am making progress. I am not that young person, especially after socially and emotionally maturing because of my own efforts. With my new perspective I feel sad that part of me couldn't realize that I was working towards a nice life with my spouse and friends, doing things I didn't think I was capable of.

To me, my autism traits make my social life way more difficult and constrain me in things like planning more or saving my energy. I would not say that its a disability, but its a wall to climb while NTs use the door.

On other things, like music, I am neutral. Music distract me so much that I never hear it on purpose. So I have no favourite groups. From time to time I listen some ambiental music, celtic or quiet music with no voice (like FF7 opening). It is not a problem for me.

On the other hand, I have some autism traits that I do love. Like ethics, love for learning deeply and understanding how things work, passion for certain topics, and the way I enjoy touching certain things or recieving a good massage, or the way I appreciate the leaves of trees moving with the wind. The peace I feel when I am quitely sitted in my room alone, in the shadows and my mind wanders letting my body inmobile. Or the way I can understand how things connect each other in systems. To be able to experience friendship, loyalty and love in ways most NT would not understand...

So, to me it has advantages and disadvantages. :)

I try to not complain and some things are for me not bad or negative. But I would love to be better with people, more social and just understanding people better. More outgoing. I know people who say things like "guys, let's go to New York today!" and later the same afternoon they are on a plane. Easy going and social people. That I want. I`m not hopeless, it's just more difficult for me to be spontaneous and easy going like that.

Those don't sound like real people, and if they somehow exist, that's not the norm.

None of the above, but I will sneak in an IT Crowd reference:

disabled-itcrowd.gif

Ed

Those don't sound like real people, and if they somehow exist, that's not the norm.

They are musicians, traveling isn't very unusual for them but it's not something everyone does. It was just an example of what is possible to do, how easy it can be. They just like to travel, if you're in Oslo it's as easy as a quick drive to the aiport and sitting on a plane for a while. I would go with them if it wasn't so exhausting and difficult.

Last edited:
(Shaddock) I'm in the same mind set as you. Never been the type to avoid controversy. Coming from a large family. Even when I was working. Would let my superiors know when thought they were wrong. had a few intense moments with immediate supervisors where the door need to be closed. as it got loud. I was respected, time would tell I was correct.

really thank you for these jolly and friendly words : )

I am a person who always wants harmony. I hate conflicts and my healthiness is more important for me than to be right or to proclaim my opinion. Usually I know whats right for me and I always try to get happy and how I want to live.

I broke up with my whole family, because they didn´t do myself good. It was very hard, but I knew this would be the only right way for me and I never regret this. I often felt myself like a lone fighter, who fights against the rest of the world. I fighted years against my family, just trying to survive somehow, til I could get out of there.

I am often extraordinary direct, even to people I don´t know that much. Always trying to be polite and friendly, but if there is something which has to be said, I do so. I criticized my teachers when in my thoughts there doing was wrong. I criticized an official in charge, when in my thoughts his doing was wrong.

most of the times I don´t say that much, but if there is something which feels extremely iniquitous for me, I say my opinion which such power, most of the times people instantly accepted my opinion, apologize or respected me afterwards.

I was in a boarding school some time ago. most of the time it was okay, but some things were wrong and after some time elapsed and things were not changed, I wrote e-mails to all important persons of the school, causing so much pressure on all others, things changed nearly instantly.

same goes to an unfair reduction of a caution for a appartment. I criticized the persons in charge so directly and hard, they instantly withdraw with the caution reduction.

sometimes I say "I am a like a special police unit, which enters a appartment with a battering ram." most of the time you will not see me at any times, but if there is something going on really wrongful to me, I will instantly unfold more powers than once could ever imagine and resolving the problem faster than a special police unit ever could do." most of the times I look like a weak, very quiet person, but my will (to save myself) is entirely strong. maybe I am overacting a bit, but you know what I mean. : P

some times people in school tried to bully me, because they thought I am a weak person. but as I showed that I am not willing to accept any injustice, they instantly shut up and never talked a bad word to me for the rest of the time. but most of the people respected me for my directness and sincerity.

someone said to me "you are not making any secret of what you are thinking about other people.", thats true, but sometimes I instead say nothing, if the person doesn´t bother me, because I don´t want to engage in a conflict for nothing or at all.

I always refer to my autism as my 'superpower' and my greatest insecurity. It's my superpower because it makes me who I am, my passions and greatest joys in life and hopefully the kind, friendly person I strive to be. Though I can't be the judge whether I'm living up to that. It's also my greatest insecurity because sometimes I’m afraid I’ll never be able to conform with societal expectations. Ofcourse I would sometimes like to be more outgoing, spontaneous and I've struggled with loneliness and the feeling of not 'belonging' growing up. It's a double-edged sword.

But whichever way I look at it, my autism is an integral part of who I'm. I wouldn't change that for anything in the world. I'm not a 'autist' that happens to be named Mark. I'm Mark and I happen to be on the autism spectrum.

I see it as something that makes me unique and I don’t let it dictate what I can and cannot do in life. I spent so many years being gaslighted and told that I would never be able to do so many things by the woman that raised me that I am currently making up for a lot of lost time seeing that there is a lot that I can do.

New Threads

Top Bottom