• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How do you cope with power cuts?

superboyian

Former Co-Owner
V.I.P Member
Just recently, I've been having power cuts at my house and I haven't been able to post when I'm at home and I must say, it really sucked that I actually got to the point where I wanted to actually scream, shout or swear and I managed to survive 3 days of it.

Anyways, how do you cope with power cuts?

Bloody hate it.

In Summer, there were lots of severe storms here which made the power go out. What made it horrible was how I had to bale water to prevent flooding. I baled water with no lights on (obviously) and had to keep a flashlight handy. I had to do this on many occasions. The power would often stay off for two or more hours.

What I used to do when the power would go out was listen to music on my MP3 player, but I no longer use it since it sucks and I don't have batteries for it.

Last edited:
It doesn't bother me. A few summers ago we were going through that a lot because the trailer park where I live hadn't upgraded the electrical system since I don't know when. We had 60 trailers plugged into a system meant for 30. So when it got hot and everyone turned on their AC out went the power! Finally they fixed it, but not until the main power pole caught on fire a couple of times. Was that ever a circus! Anyway, when the power goes out, if it is dark I go to bed. If not, I sit outside with the rest of the neighbors and listen to everyone complain.

I'll just draw the models and maps of cities I just built on SimCity and draw them again. I do nothing other than that.

That's highly dependant on the length of time and the season. Couple months ago Texas had one of the worst summers on record and we had to deal with rolling blackouts, the whole premise behind that being that the electric companies would shut down power in certain areas to avoid putting stress on the power grid. Fortunately those blackouts were sporadic and they were only like 15 minutes long.

During the summer they can be a pain in the ass to deal with, especially if they go on for hours. Now that winter's approaching and the weather is turning milder, unless temps start plunging they're less of a nuisance.

I would either read or play my Nintendo 3DS or color, anything that isn't electricity.

If the power went out in my house I would have nothing to do except listen to my Walkman or go to sleep. I'm probably responsible for most of the cost on our electric bills.

Listen to music on a portable audio player. If there's no battery power in my audio player, I lay in bed and wait until the power comes back on.

Edit: Oops. I've already replied to this topic.

Ooooh the long power cuts? You'll see the World's greatest urban planner and visionary since Le Corbusier in me if this happens:D

When my momma passed I spent time in southern Utah with her best friend of 40 years, "Grandma", to everyone who knew her. She taught me of waste not , want not. She taught me of living simply and told us about stories of the Great Depression and WWII era. I spent this last year, learning new skills, ironicly on the internet, learning how to live without electricity. I'm not exactly what you would call an extreme prepper, though. Last year my electricity was cut off for 4 days and we took it in stride. The kids only had a hard time the first day. We got out of the house a lot and played at the river and went bike riding. WE felt a lot closer as a family too.
If the electricity gets cut off we take it in stride.

Haven't had any powercuts for a while, thought I remember a few years ago... about 3 cities (including mine) were hit by a blackout for a few hours... in the evening. So it was dark everywhere. I decided to go outside and walk over to my then girlfriend.

I was amazed by the sheer lack of... well.. anarchy going on. People driving in cars, honking all over, some going on without their lights on. People screaming like we just had been liberated... it was crazy.

But if I were to be hit by a blackout... it would depend on when it happened. If it were during the day, I might just get out for a walk... at night, I'd probably just sit either in my room or the garden with my ipod for a while.

I love them. Well, I love them for about 4 hours. Then it gets boring. I like not having to answer my e-mail, I can't get on Facebook, I can't watch TV or charge my phone. It pushes me into the de-wired world that I like, even though I dont have the self control to do it on my own.

Kind of like how sometimes Ill go cruising on dirt roads and leave my phone at home. The only people I have to acknowledge are the people that I wave to while driving :)

Sometimes, I feel that I rely too much on electricity, digital communications, and most specifically, the internet. I think power loss are a good break from all the connectedness.

Superboyian, you're in London, so the weather is always nice there (no need for air conditioning in the summer), so power loss are a good time to go outdoors and take a walk in the park. Or go to the gym. Or read a book, especially now that the days are longer and you don't need to turn on the lights until later.

I like the Internet. But I hate it too. Power loss gives me an excuse not to check my email and not answer my phone. It means more time for myself to do relaxing things like reading a book or taking a walk.

I don't like black outs. I tend to curl up with a flashlight somewhere and hide reading a book or using my little laptop for brief spurts to check my mail. Or hope that my sister or my grandparents have power and go stay there for while. I will listen to music or just go to bed because it gives me anxiety. I like the dark but not that kind of dark. I prefer the night but not darkness like that.

I'm kinda surprised people need a blackout to not answer their phone or respond to email.

I don't need a blackout, I don't feel I have an obligation to pick up the phone is someone calls me, nor do have the urge to respond to an email. Yes, a lot of times I do, but it does depend on who actually called/mailed me.

Another thing that, well.. doesn't strike me as weird, I think it's "1st world syndrome". Knowledge is kinda lost when we have a blackout. Who has a bookshelf with a phsyical encyclopedia around? Anyone have a windup radio (or even record player) that does not require a wallsocket? And if you do, do you have records to play on it? If you're caught in a blackout, do you know your way around the house in the dark, to eventually find a flashlight or candles. Does everyone even have candles around?

The biggest issue I in general also have is when people stock up meat and such in a freezer and then add up getting mad if there's a blackout (or the freezer breaks down). Well... that's the risk of hoarding, losing a lot if something breaks down.

We haven't had many blackouts, when they've happened during the day we've just taken the dog for a walk or read or something. It's when it happens at night that's the pain because there's no light to read, I can't walk the dog in the dark so I can either listen to my ipod if it's charged up or just sit and wait.

I bought a laptop

Yet we're almost at a silly point in technology where you'd need a internet connection to even start any machine... blackouts and the internet :rolleyes2:

I'm not critising the fact that you bought a laptop though... laptops are good ^^ but I am kinda pointing out that we're being quite internet (or even electricity) dependant nowadays, much like the point I made about having knowledge at your disposal.

If you're really desperate, I'm sure you can rig up home-made wind turbines easy enough. I saw one made out of car parts, bike parts and part of a fence.

Actually, I just put the kettle on and watch a bit of telly?

No, I simply stop still, wait for my eyes to adjust and then go to the nearest candle/ flashlight.
Then I find a book and settle in for about an hour and if the lights are still not back on I will just go to bed.

New Threads

Top Bottom