• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hi

Levitator

So, for the longest time, it has not been like me to try to label myself, and I often felt like such things were for people who want to be unicorns or special snowflakes. But, when I face simple realities, I find that it's me that's getting pushed out of society, and really consistently. It's society that treats me differently, and startlingly. It's insanely difficult to find a job. There was a space of about fifteen years where I never succeeded in making any sort of long-term friends, much less dating. It's entirely like society to kick you to the curb until you are sore and beaten down, and then when you say "I'm pretty sure it's because I have autism. I'll go look for other people with the same condition", society will be the same ones who are apt to tell you what a separatist or attention hound you are. Well, since we wind up needing our own fora like countless other marginalized groups (by race, religion, lifestyle, etc.) precisely because society is exclusive, let's not guilt ourselves or feel foolish for looking for a label that identifies other people we might get along with. Just like we wouldn't ask some other minority why they want their own magazine publication, let's not be ashamed that we likewise congregate at the margins, since that's precisely where society sweeps us.
|
I'm not formally diagnosed, and I don't want to be, because I don't see the benefit, but I do see potential liabilities, like the very obvious and aforementioned exclusion. A lot of people have utterly no understanding of the possibility that there are others who think or mentally function differently than they do, but remain sane and functional, and able to participate in, say, a career. I just recently spoke to someone who didn't think it was safe to put someone with a head injury in the presence of other people, and he also commented that he didn't understand how a certain autistic person he knew was permitted to travel the world independently. That's what people think of you, so I don't suggest publicizing your diagnoses. Personally, I don't need one. Eye contact with everyone but intimate partners makes my eyes burn, I have very intense and specific musical tastes, social graces and spontaneity are totally incomprehensible to me. I am the kind of person who will have to pause to think in the middle of a statement, and the other person goes "What, I don't understand what you're saying", and it's because I seem to need to do things much more intentionally than others, rather then just flowing with the moment as they seem to. I'm entirely happy with myself, but I'm tired of being alone.

1704938260783.png

I like your avatar. She's very impressed with her cat stole.
Thanks! :) My avatar is Mildred Hubble from the Worst Witch books by Jill Murphy. I loved the books when I was a kid and I enjoy re-reading them now, probably qualifies as one of my special interests. I often feel like I've experienced similar challenges to the ones Mildred experiences in the books, particularly when I was younger, so I decided to adopt her name here as a tribute :) Plus I have a tabby cat too! He likes to curl up on my shoulders sometimes :)

Thanks! :) My avatar is Mildred Hubble from the Worst Witch books by Jill Murphy. I loved the books when I was a kid and I enjoy re-reading them now, probably qualifies as one of my special interests. I often feel like I've experienced similar challenges to the ones Mildred experiences in the books, particularly when I was younger, so I decided to adopt her name here as a tribute :) Plus I have a tabby cat too! He likes to curl up on my shoulders sometimes :)
I'm a fan of cats and dogs but, sadly, allergies keep my distance. My landlady has two enormous man-sized Great Danes I just became acquainted with, and they are thankfully friendly to me, though not to each other because they are very jealous over attention. I thought they would take my hand off.

What sort of challenges did Mildred face?

What sort of challenges did Mildred face?
She is quite clumsy, she gets bullied quite a lot and she always has the best intentions, but somehow things end up in disaster. However, she always saves the day in the books :)

She's quite the misfit, she can be quite naive and some of the other characters in the books take advantage of her generous nature. In one of the books her worst enemy steals a spell she creates for her summer school project and takes credit for it.

I think Mildred could very well be neurodivergent, that's my theory anyway :)

She is quite clumsy, she gets bullied quite a lot and she always has the best intentions, but somehow things end up in disaster. However, she always saves the day in the books :)

She's quite the misfit, she can be quite naive and some of the other characters in the books take advantage of her generous nature. In one of the books her worst enemy steals a spell she creates for her summer school project and takes credit for it.

I think Mildred could very well be neurodivergent, that's my theory anyway :)

Poor Mildred. I can certainly relate, but I wouldn't want to be any other way. I get told that I'm negative for complaining about negative outcomes. If only I possessed the nudge-nudge-wink-wink talents for heading off those problems. But, I'd rather stay naive. I'm happy to be ignorant and innocent of the language people display to warn you they're going to plagiarize you or otherwise cheat you.

Hi @Levitator , welcome, you will fit right in here - I have chosen to be open about my diagnosis, but I understand what you write about the backside of it.

Hi @Levitator , welcome, you will fit right in here - I have chosen to be open about my diagnosis, but I understand what you write about the backside of it.

There's no judgment there, but I think psychiatry is way too subjective, and it has a recurrent and even pervasive history of abuse, so I avoid participating in it. It's not science, it's often someone's opinion, and it's not falsifiable like a blood test is. People treat me badly enough over how they perceive me, much less will I give them a name of a condition to hold against me.

There's no judgment there, but I think psychiatry is way too subjective, and it has a recurrent and even pervasive history of abuse, so I avoid participating in it. It's not science, it's often someone's opinion, and it's not falsifiable like a blood test is. People treat me badly enough over how they perceive me, much less will I give them a name of a condition to hold against me.
I see what you ate saying, for me, getting the label have opened doors to get help, and that help have turned my life around - I respect your point of view with respect to psychiatry, my experience with it has given me a different view on it :)

Glad to have you with us, @Levitator

Being happy in who you are is definitely the best thing and I commend you for taking it as you have. Diagnosis or not. Differences. Whatever the case. We all are in this together.

Glad to have you with us, @Levitator

Being happy in who you are is definitely the best thing and I commend you for taking it as you have. Diagnosis or not. Differences. Whatever the case. We all are in this together.

I've looked out and seen myself in people I love and enjoy, so if I'm happy with them, I have to be happy with myself. If you're awkward, it means you were built in a way that requires more intentionality. Is that a reason to hate someone? No! I would love to meet someone totally awkward and be like "I know exactly what that's like".

New Threads

Top Bottom