• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hi!

Penny

Hi all!
My name is Penny and I have two sons with ASD diagnoses. I found you while searching for eating or gut issues as one of my sons has developed IBS symptoms. He already had a fairly restricted diet as textures really bother him (can’t eat seeds, harder things, etc. without triggering vomiting). I’m hoping to get tips for him as it’s quite overwhelming. He’s 20 years old.

Hey and welcome. I've got severe IBS as well, which seems to be somewhat common in people with ASD. Together, with additional dietary issues, this can be extremely challenging. I hope you find the answers you seek, and I'd be glad to help if I'm able.

Hi Penny! :)

I'm not a "picky" or restrictive eater but I have some texture sensitivities with food. I think you will find that this is fairly common here. I know there are some threads about food texture sensitivities and I can't think of where they are or what they're called (I will ask @tree [moderator] for help)

It is definitely stressful and overwhelming to not be able to eat things because of the texture. There are some things that I can't even have in my mouth for a few seconds without gagging or throwing up.

I hope this community is able to be helpful to you and your sons. If you have any questions, feel free to ask around :)
Welcome!

Welcome.

While I, nor anybody, realized that I have ASD as a child. I had some peculiarities in my diet. Hot dogs would nauseate me, and I avoided eggs for their sulfurous flavor, and cantelope tasted like pyridine.

With restricted dietary preferences, the IBS may be exacerbated by a lack of fiber in his diet. If he is getting insufficient fiber in his normal diet, a supplement like psyllium may be necessary.

Last edited:
@Luca

Different Kinds of Food Issues

Hi all!
My name is Penny and I have two sons with ASD diagnoses. I found you while searching for eating or gut issues as one of my sons has developed IBS symptoms. He already had a fairly restricted diet as textures really bother him (can’t eat seeds, harder things, etc. without triggering vomiting). I’m hoping to get tips for him as it’s quite overwhelming. He’s 20 years old.

When I was a child I also had problems with some textures and putting healthy food in the form of porridge was the solution for me.

My mom also used Bovril on top of that so all the vegetables porridge would taste as meat (which I loved).

1660319375876.png

If you do a Google Scholar or PubMed search "autism diet and IBS",...and then limit your search to the past 5 years you should get some good articles on the topic.

Probiotics, low FODMAP (anti-inflammatory) diets, allergy testing, oral GABA, "stress and IBS",...are also topics to research within the context of autism.

Hi and welcome, I hope you find help and support here for you and your sons.

New Threads

Top Bottom