• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hi Everyone!

WHATEVERIAM

Hello and happy Tuesday :)

Um, shoot I don't know where to start. I'm a 41 yo mom, newly diagnosed (kinda...a therapist dx'd me not a doc and apparently that makes it less valid - anyhoo...) have spent the last month coming to terms with this and have had more emotional ups and downs than I anticipated.

It is both super awesome to find people that can relate and also a little overwhelming after a lifetime of isolation, of my own safe little world up here in my head.

I'm an artist and writer and very interested in physics (even though I never understand the mathematics, I can see the concepts and understand them visually). I spend a lot of my time advocating for homeless rights and my latest "hobby" is trying to figure out how to get people to realize how many ASD's are affected by this and come up with some proactive solutions.

I'm happy to have found this online refuge and hoping to make some friends and exchange some enlightening conversation!

Hola! Welcome to AC :)

Grab a chair and join in. We have all walks of the autism spectrum here ;)

No one will judge you here and there is lots of information to be gained from our friendly members.

Hi, nice to meet you. This has become my hobby as well, actually obsessed with coming to terms with aspergers. I don't know what to do with myself these days. I can't work, can't drive in heavy traffic and fear losing the only person in my life who cares about me...my boyfriend. If it wasn't for him, I'd be homeless. I don't want to fight it anymore....I must face the truth that I am on the spectrum at 44 and suffer also from PTSD after many, many traumatic experiences since my birth. I don't know why I exist.

Late diagnosis, especially in females, is something that seems to be all too common and PTSD tends to be excessive because of this. Pondering our own existence is a very human trait, the discovery of which can take a lifetime.

Nice to meet you UniqueChic! Thank you for the wecome :)

Hi and welcome,
We are the font from which all enlightened conversation floweth.
Well, most of us anyway.
:D;)

Hi Tom! Thank you for the welcome. I have to say, I've been really impressed by the thoughtfulness and care I've seen so far on the forums. For someone who spends way too much time on Facebook, this is a striking and welcome difference. Yay! :)

Welcome Whateveriam, it is good to finally understand things about yourself on your journey in life.

I arrived here a year ago to find out about my Aspie spouse, only to discover that I too am on the spectrum.

So now I know, and you know, and it leads to understanding. Think that's a beneficial situation for everyone.

Late diagnosis, especially in females, is something that seems to be all too common and PTSD tends to be excessive because of this. Pondering our own existence is a very human trait, the discovery of which can take a lifetime.

Nice to meet you UniqueChic! Thank you for the wecome :)
Exactly, i don't know why I exist. I feel like such an outcast that my only "friends" are people I have only met online. How does one know their destiny/purpose?

Welcome Whateveriam, it is good to finally understand things about yourself on your journey in life.

I arrived here a year ago to find out about my Aspie spouse, only to discover that I too am on the spectrum.

So now I know, and you know, and it leads to understanding. Think that's a beneficial situation for everyone.
Agreed, Mia. You are very kind.

How does one know their destiny/purpose?

It can take a long time of trial and error to figure it out.

To my mind, your purpose lies within your heart, but first you have to know what is truly meaningful to you.

It took many years for me to discover that my purpose is simply to do my best to help the cats around me. Cats are my truest love, and all I really have to do is help them when they cross my path. Many do in fact. TNR work keeps me busy.

Look to your heart to find purpose, Catlover614.

I agree Mia. It is incredible where a little understanding can lead. I had blocked out so many memories from my younger days and it has been quite an experience being able to unearth them again in light of this new information. I had always been reviewing things in terms of where did I do wrong, judging myself mercilessly. It is a huge relief to realize the truth of these situations so that I may participate in society again without that overwhelming fear everyone's going to know I'm a weirdo!

I am happily embracing my weirdo crown now. It just is what it is, if that makes sense.
Thank you for the welcome!!

It can take a long time of trial and error to figure it out.

To my mind, your purpose lies within your heart, but first you have to know what is truly meaningful to you.

It took many years for me to discover that my purpose is simply to do my best to help the cats around me. Cats are my truest love, and all I really have to do is help them when they cross my path. Many do in fact. TNR work keeps me busy.

Look to your heart to find purpose, Catlover614.
CaliCat, thank you.

Catlover614 It's easy to feel like an outcast. I think this is something that all humans struggle with, we are social creatures and we live in a world that doesn't really accommodate for that truth. The desire for community and relatedness crosses all walks of life. I've often felt like an anthropologist from another planet. I've come to terms with my outcast status by embracing the qualities that make me unique and being brave enough to add my voice to the mix.

Your purpose is to be you. Discovering and sharing who that is has no time limit. There are solutions to problems in this world that you may be the only one to answer. You might be the person who says the thing that saves the life of a person who goes on to be the parent of a child who wins the Nobel Peace prize. There are things we simply don't always know but it makes it really important to love yourself for the unique perspective you bring to human consciousness. Just an opinion and how I've overcome that feeling of isolation and failure, why I love chaos theory as well, I guess.

I think we often get caught up in putting this time and peer pressure on ourselves. We judge ourselves when there really is no right or wrong way to discover the beauty that lies within. Take your time and let it unfold at its natural pace and be willing to take some calculated risks to expand your social realms without making assumptions about yourself or them.

Catlover614 It's easy to feel like an outcast. I think this is something that all humans struggle with, we are social creatures and we live in a world that doesn't really accommodate for that truth. The desire for community and relatedness crosses all walks of life. I've often felt like an anthropologist from another planet. I've come to terms with my outcast status by embracing the qualities that make me unique and being brave enough to add my voice to the mix.

Your purpose is to be you. Discovering and sharing who that is has no time limit. There are solutions to problems in this world that you may be the only one to answer. You might be the person who says the thing that saves the life of a person who goes on to be the parent of a child who wins the Nobel Peace prize. There are things we simply don't always know but it makes it really important to love yourself for the unique perspective you bring to human consciousness. Just an opinion and how I've overcome that feeling of isolation and failure, why I love chaos theory as well, I guess.

I think we often get caught up in putting this time and peer pressure on ourselves. We judge ourselves when there really is no right or wrong way to discover the beauty that lies within. Take your time and let it unfold at its natural pace and be willing to take some calculated risks to expand your social realms without making assumptions about yourself or them.

Hi, WHATEVERIAM! I try to embrace my uniqueness, but I end up feeling stupid. I don't even know what steps to take to improve my quality of life. I have been stuck on a friend's couch for months, researching aspergers and autism in adults, trying to learn and accept who i am....someone who LOVES isolation....does that make me selfish? This website is the only one I feel comfortable sharing things with. My family doesn't want anything to do with me. I am unable to support myself right now due to severe PTSD, ADHD, ASPERGERS & DEPRESSION, and I don't know who/where to turn. My town doesn't have any services for me and I fear my time running out to find help.

New Threads

Top Bottom