• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hi AutismForums!

Gekko2508

Just typing this out on the keyboard is harder than expected; I've always been more of an observer rather than someone who actively engages in communities such as these.
Yet I believe in the sharing of knowledge. If I can be helpful to a single person, I feel that signing up here will have been worth it - trembling and all.

Let's see... I am - at the time of writing this - 22, I have migrated twice (looking right at a third migration), I am married, and was diagnosed with PDD-NOS at the age of five.
Naturally, there is far more to me, but I think this is a good generic start to this journey.

Last edited:
7170b9ca578ac97a674dee48a7562054.png

I like the animal theme Avatar. But I'm rusty in Runic. Very rusty. What does it say?

Hi Gekko2508 welcome. I hope you enjoy it here and find the site supportive and useful. It sounds like you have moved around a lot, bet that's interesting but maybe challenging too? Yes I resonate with taking an observer's stance it can be a safe strategy that turns into a habit of a lifetime. It's great that you're experimenting with other ways to be, that's worked well for me too.

:spiralshell::spoutingwhale::spiralshell::whale::spiralshell::spoutingwhale::spiralshell::whale::spiralshell::spoutingwhale::spiralshell::whale::spiralshell::spoutingwhale::spiralshell::whale::spiralshell:

Welcome to the forums, Gekko.
You haven't migrated from Geico, have you?
Beating Fridge to the pun here....
You'll learn what I mean! ;)

Ah! I didn't expect this much of a response! Thank you, all!

What does it say?
Every square has one of four stanzas of the runic "translation" of the Icelandic version of the Poetic Edda. Goodness me that was one hell of a sentence to write out...
Under the gecko you'll find: "Better a house, | though a hut it be,
A man is master at home;
A pair of goats | and a patched-up roof
Are better far than begging."

Under the lion you'll find: "Cattle die, | and kinsmen die,
And so one dies one's self;
One thing now | that never dies,
The fame of a dead man's deeds."

Under the owl you'll find: "A little sand | has a little sea,
And small are the minds of men;
Though all men are not | equal in wisdom,
Yet half-wise only are all." -... Sounds a little stuck-up, but has more to do with patience, to me.

And under the bear-paw you'll find: "The witless man | is awake all night,
Thinking of many things;
Care-worn he is | when the morning comes,
And his woe is just as it was." -... To... Basically tell myself to stop worrying so much.

Naturally the colours, animals and the positioning of the stanzas mean something to me personally, but I won't bore you with the details. Thanks for the interest in it, though!

It sounds like you have moved around a lot, bet that's interesting but maybe challenging too?
(I'm sorry, I often think way too far ahead when typing and talking, so I accidentaly upped the amount of migrations by one. I edited the first post, but prefer to be honest about the mistake)
I have! I'm thinking about posting a thread about it, since the first migration has left its very ugly scar, still, and I could use some help on dealing with it all. It's honestly wonderful to have experience with it, but it has been a serious ordeal. It's tough to learn a new language, but it's many times tougher to learn a country's culture.
My first run has been from the Netherlands to New Zealand, at the age of 15. My parents did all the managing there, so I had very little idea of what was going on, just that I had less school at the time :p.
My second run has been from New Zealand to Sweden, to live with my husband, with whom I'd only had an online relationship with for eight years at the time.
Now I want to move back to New Zealand, but take my husband with me. ... I mean, it might not count as a migration because I'm going "back", but I've still lived in Sweden long enough to pick up its culture.

Again, thank you for all the welcomes to everyone else! I hope you'll understand that you're really making me feel welcome and supported in a time of need, even if it's just a simple message to you.

Thanks for the translation. :) That is interesting stuff. I was in Iceland for a year and absorbed some of the culture. The manuscripts from there are quite a treasure trove.

Fascinating translation of the runes, how interesting and I see how you've thought about it and how it fits with your own experiences of yourself. Yes those are two major migrations, and another's planned, I can see that's a major move. Lots to think about and plan. I hope you will post more threads as you say, that sounds a good idea.

New Threads

Top Bottom