• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hi, a little nervous

Goose Girl

Hello to all; I'm new to this site; only just discovered it even existed! Glad there is "an alternative" to you-know-where. Enough said!

I'm 52, female, I'm a bit of a cultural hybrid having split my adult life between living in the US and also the UK (am now in the UK), and have been informally diagnosed by a mental health professional, with probable HFA/(formerly Asperger's), depression, PTSD and traits of HSP (highly sensitive person).

At my stage of life I don't know if I want to or need to proceed/continue with the formalities all the way to the end, as yet. I'm the generation that was overlooked in matters of high functioning autism diagnoses -- basically, back then in the dark ages, if you were not clearly, severely "classically" autistic then you were just dismissed as "shy, withdrawn, odd, with a few blustery tantrums coming in from the north"! :D I have struggled lifelong with issues that I've only now over the last maybe eight years gradually recognized to be spectrum issues.

I've registered here for emotional support, conversation, comparing notes and getting to communicate with friendly people who will likely know where I'm coming from a bit better than the people I encounter in "real" life out there.

Looking forward to shooting the breeze.

Hi! And welcome!

Yes, this is a lovely community! I bet you have tons of experience in how to deal with problems of the mind. I wouldn't mind to know about you more.

Again, welcome!!!

I can relate to your story---while I'm not from "the dark ages," as you put it, I stayed under the radar for most of my life because I didn't exhibit the big symptoms typically associated with autism. My diagnosis was something of a relief; it shed some light on many things in my life that were previously enigmas.

Welcome! I hope you find what you seek here. :)

Welcome Goose Girl! I too came from the "dark ages" and wasn't diagnosed until a couple of months ago. I'm finding that this site is very welcoming and helpful. For me, a diagnosis came as a relief. Now I finally know that there was a reason why I am the way I am. Since there is no cure, I can start to accept myself as I am, without constantly trying to be a NT. I look forward to getting to know you better.

Welcome Goose Girl. Being just a bit older I can certainly relate to your post. I think you'll find this an informative and comfortable place to hang out!

Wow, thank you all, Gulas, Ereth, MoCoffee, Judge and oscar2012, for all the welcoming hellos! I look forward to getting to know you all!

New Threads

Top Bottom