• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hello! Recently diagnosed adult :)

Hi there everyone, I am a 41 year old woman who has recently received a diagnosis as an adult. I am seeing my life story through a new lens, and finding quite a bit of self forgiveness for things I used to think I "should have" known, and "should have" done better or differently. I am signing up here in hopes of making some connections, even though historically I am pretty crummy at connecting with other human beings, even on the internet. Good luck, me. I am nerdy about classic science fiction, foreign languages, comparative religion, and nutrition, and if anyone is interested in chatting about any of those things I'm always in. Looking forward to getting to know you all. :)

Classic science fiction, like The Devine Invasion? (I love that sequence. I do not understand it, bit I still love it).

What you have described about understanding the past in light of present understanding is very, very typical, and a wonderful thing. Once I understood this myself, I was able to dump a lifetime of negative self-imagery, and, though still a-typical, am much happier.

Good travelling, fellow traveller!

welcome to af.png

Welcome! Have you had a chance to read Neurotribes? Part of the book goes into early science fiction.

Welcome! Sci fi nerd here too. Written a couple too. Neurotribes is a good read.

Hi @HorseloverFat , welcome to the forum :) I like your comment:

I am seeing my life story through a new lens, and finding quite a bit of self forgiveness for things I used to think I "should have" known, and "should have" done better or differently.
That very much describes an important part of the process I went through too :) That connecting to others can indeed be very tricky at times.

Hi @HorseloverFat. Welcome to the forum. I also had quite a change in attitude about myself when I learned about autism. It brought everything into a much healthier and more hopeful perspective. Hope you enjoy it here.

Hi and Welcome @HorseloverFat
DO hang around the Forums for a while and see the flow of the conversations, and jump in when you feel you have something to contribute - which I am sure you do.

Hello. Welcome to the non-exclusive exclusive club. I understand the part of re-assessing the past. I'm still doing it. After that, figuring out the future is where things become more fun. You could start with re-framing the "pretty crummy at connecting with other human beings..." Maybe understanding why is the first step to change it?

Hi @HorseloverFat welcome to the board! Comparative religion nerd here. I love learning all about ancient primitive and pagan customs and although it's a controversial subject for most people I love seeing how much symbolism and the meanings cross pollinate among more modern religious systems. Look forward to seeing you around the pages!

Wish you lived next door. My sons broke and trained horses, and I’d love to yak with someone about the Foundation Trilogy, which has stuck in my mind for years. I also really like the now-outdated science fiction of Conan Doyle. See you around.

Hi, welcome to the forum! I really like your photo. Pusheen is adorable. I hope you have a great time here.

Hi and welcome, it's good that you found us. Yes, as you say, it really does make a difference to understand that there always was a reason, an actual difference, underpinning the confusions and social differences and difficulties. Better late than never, finding out about that.

Classic science fiction, like The Devine Invasion? (I love that sequence. I do not understand it, bit I still love it).

What you have described about understanding the past in light of present understanding is very, very typical, and a wonderful thing. Once I understood this myself, I was able to dump a lifetime of negative self-imagery, and, though still a-typical, am much happier.

Good travelling, fellow traveller!
Yes the VALIS trilogy and the Divine Invasion is one of my all time favorites!

Thank you :)

Welcome! Have you had a chance to read Neurotribes? Part of the book goes into early science fiction.

Thank you! I haven't read it yet, but I have added it to my list, I appreciate the recommendation :)

Hi @HorseloverFat , welcome to the forum :) I like your comment:

That very much describes an important part of the process I went through too :) That connecting to others can indeed be very tricky at times.
Thank you! Yes, my whole life I've felt like I was doing something wrong, now I realize I've probably HAVE been doing many things wrong but that it's just a part of who I am. Hopefully I can learn to accept that I'll never be socially fluent the way neurotypical people are, rather than trying to constantly "fix" myself. :) It's like everyone else is a native speaker and social interaction is my second language, I'll never be at that level of native fluency and that's ok.

Hello. Welcome to the non-exclusive exclusive club. I understand the part of re-assessing the past. I'm still doing it. After that, figuring out the future is where things become more fun. You could start with re-framing the "pretty crummy at connecting with other human beings..." Maybe understanding why is the first step to change it?
Haha good call! Yes I will try, I'm clearly still being judgmental with myself about that one.

New Threads

Top Bottom