• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Have you ever been discouraged or critisized for your hobby or interest?

"tree, post: 256074, member: 2366"]OP = "I'm just wondering because in the past my dad use to criticise my drawings I use to do and sometimes said that some of my hobbies were useless,have any of you have had a similar situation where someone or something discouraged a interest of yours?"

Certainly.
Sometimes my father tore up things I had written, after he read them.
He didn't like it when I made a paraphrase of Genesis using CB language.
This surprised me. I had supposed he would like it. He did CB radio.
Endlessly...My younger brother just forbid me to speak on mine at all...:confused: it doesn't lend much help on maintaining close relations.o_O

I encounter encouraging words and discouraging words every day - not directed towards me, I try to be selective of what I share with people - but directed towards others with my interests who exhibit less caution. I treat the encouragement as gifts and companions along my journey, and the discouragement with a grain of salt. A lot of people who criticize others are projecting their own misfortunes or discontents in life. I've seen way too much of it over the years, most of which is just highly unnecessary and harmful despite it being disguised in an aura of pretence like "I'm telling you because I care, having this interest is kind of bad for you or impractical or a waste of time or unrealistic or etc etc etc".

No, the world has way too much apathy and despair. If someone is passionate about something, I don't care what it is, it can be a TV show character or a book or serial killers or a species of spider - that energy of passion is something that our world needs, and it should be celebrated and encouraged.

I remember when I was at secondary school, I started on a 'Godzilla phase' - which my dad had unknowingly inspired back in 1998 when me, him and my younger brother were introduced to the character via the 1998 American Godzilla film and my fascination continued after watching the American animated series that followed the film.
Several years on, I was in the school library and came across an encyclopedia of monsters and so sat down and read through it. Eventually, I came across a character called 'King Ghidorah' and saw this image in the book with the following caption.

maxresdefault.jpg

King Ghidorah (Middle) battles against Godzilla (Left), Mothra (Bottom Right) and Rodan (Top Left)

For me, this was a real surprise as I'd never come across this version of Godzilla before. With my interest piqued, I dug deeper and found out that the first Godzilla movie was a 1954 Japanese film and that a total of 28 movies had followed it; add the 1998 and 2014 American Remakes and it brings the Godzilla franchise to a total of 30 films, with more on the way.
The more I read, the more I got into it; gaining the classic autistic encyclopedic knowledge on the films, the monsters, etc. and watching music videos people had made on YouTube about the films. There had even been a crossover film in the 1960's in which Godzilla battled King Kong!
Thanks to some friends of my dad, I was able to get many if not most of these films and watch them. Although it's obviously guys in suits and you're either listening to bad dubbing or having to read your way through the movie via the subtitles, I couldn't get enough of this stuff

From this, I gained a greater interest in the monster movie genre in general - both for the various American and Japanese movies as well as some from other parts of the world; regardless of how good or bad they were. I even got into watching some of the TV shows like Zone Fighter and Ultraman, etc.
However, like many of us, all I got from most of my family was dismissal of my interest as it 'served no purpose'. At school, I had occasions from time to time where someone would see me watching or reading about it and look at me as if to say "why are you watching/reading that? it looks crap".
However, despite the dismissals, I did keep my interest for a long time and eventually it subsided of its own accord. I still do enjoy this stuff from time to time but nowadays I've got other things to occupy my time.
Here's a few clips:

http://cinemassacre.com/2014/05/14/rare-godzilla-zone-fighter/

Yes. Mostly because people think I am weird and that I am not capable of doing what they do so they think everything I like is bad. These assumptions will get people in trouble someday I am sure. But for now, I just live with it.

Yep. My parents just the other day were teasing me for teaching myself German (languages is one of my special interests. I know aside from English; ASL, a lot of Spanish, Japanese and a smattering of Latin and French) and telling me I'd never, ever use it. Well, two days later; I used it to help a German couple at work! So ha!

Sherlock Holmes is my main obsession and I get a lot of teasing for it. But owell. If anyone needs a bit of Sherlock Holmes trivia, I'm the one to look to.

You know ASL? I know ASL. In fact I use it everyday to communicate with people. I find it interesting that you know ASL.

I taught myself when I was a child. I used to be completely fluent, but now I'm pretty rusty. My best friend and do use it quite often though. Especially in situations where my sensory processing is messed up and I don't understand verbal words. I really should use it more often and get fluent again.

I taught myself when I was a child. I used to be completely fluent, but now I'm pretty rusty. My best friend and do use it quite often though. Especially in situations where my sensory processing is messed up and I don't understand verbal words. I really should use it more often and get fluent again.
I use it all the time. Especially when my sensory system is out and I can't verbally state things. I am fluent still because of my Deaf and Hard of Hearing friends. If it weren't for them, I would be rusty as well. You should practice more.

Yes, I've gotten criticized for my interests and hobbies.

For example, when it comes to drawing, I got made fun of for many of my results. That is when I was younger and my art was (I'll admit) total crap. A fellow Asperger said something like my nose on a character looked like Pinocchio, and even though I knew my art was crap then, I continued to draw. However, I went through various cycles of stopping (in fear of not being good enough and it really hurting me, because it's my passion) and starting again. Over the years, I have improved and just recently I got more serious on drawing random characters. I am still my worst critic, but when I see the ragged crap from my 6th-8th grade years to now (as a 21 year old), I get a sense of thrill. And, I actually laugh at the crap that I created. It's also quite encouraging because it makes me think "if I went from point A to point B, then I can end up at point C".

I've been told by my sister that I'm am obsessed with my favorite band Ladytron, but, I still like them. I classify myself as a devout fan of this electronic-pop quartet, and I like their surrealistic approach to their song lyrics (that have been classified as pretentious and over-the-top by some critics), but only my opinion matters and, it's evident that they have a cult following including some of my friends who like their music. They are successful, and I don't think that their song lyrics are pretentious. They're creative and I feel they resonate with my internal reality that has gotten more expansive in the most recent times to the point of showing up in some of my creations.

I also like some video games with low ratings, but, my peers like them, too. And, I like video games with extremely high ratings, like the Zelda series. A rating is a number. It's an opinion. It is meaningless.

I love poetry, and I am very good with words, but when I was about 14-15 and not so good at it yet, I got ostracized for my interest by a a few people. For example, I asked for advice on a particular poem, but they never gave me the advice and they were very snooty. Since then, I have improved by miles and it's one of my gifts. I didn't let some dickhead on the internet dictate whether or not I should continue to write. I also wrote a book about Asperger's, a long story (sci-fi), and am in the process of a longer sci-fi.

I am both extremely analytical (in terms of my thinking) and sensitive which seem to contradict each other in theory. Therefore, I rationalize against their opinions which are usually fallacious, do my hobbies, listen to what I want, etc etc. But, at the same time, I also feel hurt on the inside when somebody insults me, but usually try to cover it up.

In the end, why does anyone else's opinion matter? What your peers think of you, what you get as a grade in school etc don't dictate your reality. If I let other people get to me to the point of never doing my hobbies again, I would probably be at rock bottom, feeling very bad about myself and the fact that I have acquired zero skills. Therefore, it's very important not to let others get to you. Hobbies and interests should be developed at a young age, especially if you're going to work on them in the workforce and/or make a positive mark on the world.

I have so many other dreams and interests, too, and when it comes to my interests in general, I typically don't care about outside opinions/ratings. Why? It's something I worked on, and I needed to see within myself my own insecurities. When it comes to creative things, I usually receive positive feedback, but once in awhile, I'll receive constructive criticism that is helpful, or a few pieces of advice that I don't agree with. I do take others opinions into consideration when it comes to a potential result, but, if I disagree, I leave it alone.

I know what I am NOT good at, and I leave those things alone, and, to be honest, don't care too much about them.

Press on. Be true to yourself, interests/hobbies/tastes. People often insult others as a result of their own insecurities. Bullies often have had problems or dislike themselves. It's not always you. It's a mirror image.

I remember when I was at secondary school, I started on a 'Godzilla phase' - which my dad had unknowingly inspired back in 1998 when me, him and my younger brother were introduced to the character via the 1998 American Godzilla film and my fascination continued after watching the American animated series that followed the film.
Several years on, I was in the school library and came across an encyclopedia of monsters and so sat down and read through it. Eventually, I came across a character called 'King Ghidorah' and saw this image in the book with the following caption.

maxresdefault.jpg

King Ghidorah (Middle) battles against Godzilla (Left), Mothra (Bottom Right) and Rodan (Top Left)

For me, this was a real surprise as I'd never come across this version of Godzilla before. With my interest piqued, I dug deeper and found out that the first Godzilla movie was a 1954 Japanese film and that a total of 28 movies had followed it; add the 1998 and 2014 American Remakes and it brings the Godzilla franchise to a total of 30 films, with more on the way.
The more I read, the more I got into it; gaining the classic autistic encyclopedic knowledge on the films, the monsters, etc. and watching music videos people had made on YouTube about the films. There had even been a crossover film in the 1960's in which Godzilla battled King Kong!
Thanks to some friends of my dad, I was able to get many if not most of these films and watch them. Although it's obviously guys in suits and you're either listening to bad dubbing or having to read your way through the movie via the subtitles, I couldn't get enough of this stuff

From this, I gained a greater interest in the monster movie genre in general - both for the various American and Japanese movies as well as some from other parts of the world; regardless of how good or bad they were. I even got into watching some of the TV shows like Zone Fighter and Ultraman, etc.
However, like many of us, all I got from most of my family was dismissal of my interest as it 'served no purpose'. At school, I had occasions from time to time where someone would see me watching or reading about it and look at me as if to say "why are you watching/reading that? it looks crap".
However, despite the dismissals, I did keep my interest for a long time and eventually it subsided of its own accord. I still do enjoy this stuff from time to time but nowadays I've got other things to occupy my time.
Here's a few clips:

http://cinemassacre.com/2014/05/14/rare-godzilla-zone-fighter/
No gamera or baby Godzilla I disapprove ;)

From

1967 son of Godzilla

Ah, Minya - he was okay for three of the four movies he was in (Son of Godzilla, Destroy all Monsters and Godzilla Final Wars), but I hated him in Godzilla's Revenge. Seriously, who's bright idea was it to make him talk?!

Personally, I preferred Godzilla Junior from the 90's films.

I had a similar situation once years ago when I went on a date with a guy, I talked a lot about comic books and movies to him and I thought he was interested he even told me about movies he liked but I never saw him after that date then a while after I found out through my parents that the guy said that I kept on going on about comics and movies and that I was boring,I was really hurt and from that day I am guarded about what I talk about and rarely talk about my interests to people,its hard when not many people like the interests you do and because of that it makes it hard for me to talk and I sometimes end up being really quiet,but it's sad what one person can say or do can affect how you feel on the inside.

I know it's been a while since this last post Adora but I've come to accept the fact that, not only do people not want to hear about my Special Interest (Myna Birds) but they actually want them dead. They see them as a pests.

I've now taken on more of an evangelic stance on the issue of Myna Birds, showing them that they're not as bad as people make out. People seem to love to hate them and for no good, factual reason. I've taken it upon myself to educate whomever I can talk to about them, to educate them and show them that Myna Birds aren't bad at all.

I've reached an age in life where I've just given up caring about what others think about what I talk about. They can take it or leave it but it sure beats talking about the weather. Maybe I'll get through to some and it may just save some Myna Birds life one day!

I know it's been a while since this last post Adora but I've come to accept the fact that, not only do people not want to hear about my Special Interest (Myna Birds) but they actually want them dead. They see them as a pests.

I've now taken on more of an evangelic stance on the issue of Myna Birds, showing them that they're not as bad as people make out. People seem to love to hate them and for no good, factual reason. I've taken it upon myself to educate whomever I can talk to about them, to educate them and show them that Myna Birds aren't bad at all.

I've reached an age in life where I've just given up caring about what others think about what I talk about. They can take it or leave it but it sure beats talking about the weather. Maybe I'll get through to some and it may just save some Myna Birds life one day!

I'm very similar about snakes, bats, cassowary, crows and heaps of others. Ive been this way since birth and my family had to get used to reptiles in their life. I was allowed to get a pet python when in high school after my older sister had moved out.

New Threads

Top Bottom