• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Have you ever been discouraged or critisized for your hobby or interest?

Constantly criticized. I collected stamps and people thought I was a geek. I got into diecast cars and I was a baby. They thought my collection of Darrell Waltrip memorabilia was a waste of money; I made more money from selling his helmet than I had invested in the entire collection. Now I'm into cap-and-ball shooting and everyone thinks its' stupid because they're not modern firearms. That's why I enjoy them. The bottom line is people just like to criticize me and they need to get a life.
If it makes you happy that's what matters.

Yes, but I'm glad I was. With no input from my parents I'd be a hoarder. It hurt a lot at the time when they'd often have to go through my stuff and throw away things, or get me to make decisions on my collections I didn't want to make (e.g. "pick your favourite 5"). But without them constantly discouraging me I would not be able to get in and out of my bedroom I'm sure. Doing that caused me to become interested in a different kind of collecting, one not of actual items, something I still have to this day. I collect information. I have folders and folders on my computer, same as I had boxes and boxes in my bedroom. Information is more useful anyway. I can sort through it in the same way I lined up collections over and over in different ways. It's taken digital form, which is good and I love it. Without that discouragement I wouldn't have this.

I grow up in a Christian family, and I felt that I'm teased by my interest and hobbies, and even now when my parents said that I won't learn anything from watching cartoons and comedy shows. Shows inspire me to write my own story and it hurts me so bad. I feel like an outcast, no one in my family
likes my stories or videos

I grow up in a Christian family, and I felt that I'm teased by my interest and hobbies, and even now when my parents said that I won't learn anything from watching cartoons and comedy shows. Shows inspire me to write my own story and it hurts me so bad. I feel like an outcast, no one in my family
likes my stories or videos
My dad use to say similar things to me too,he use to pick on my interests which were drawing and Greek mythology and told me that I'm learning useless information that no one will ask me about,I once did a drawing and it was turning out nice up until I used the wrong skin tone on the character and it completely ruined the drawing I was devastated but my dad just said that if it doesn't earn money it's useless,don't let your family discourage you from your interests and hobbies they are a positive thing to have I went 2 years without drawing anything but now I draw again which is very beneficial for your mind,and creativity is a great thing to have and I'm sorry your family would try to discourage such a wonderful thing.

My dad use to say similar things to me too,he use to pick on my interests which were drawing and Greek mythology and told me that I'm learning useless information that no one will ask me about,I once did a drawing and it was turning out nice up until I used the wrong skin tone on the character and it completely ruined the drawing I was devastated but my dad just said that if it doesn't earn money it's useless,don't let your family discourage you from your interests and hobbies they are a positive thing to have I went 2 years without drawing anything but now I draw again which is very beneficial for your mind,and creativity is a great thing to have and I'm sorry your family would try to discourage such a wonderful thing.
Same for me @Adora ,they even ruined my college degree always pushing me away from what I was good at.:confused:
I could be teaching art now ...with a wife and home !
Instead of surrounded by a world full of wolves with my back to the wall.:eek:........:wolfface::wolfface::wolfface::wolfface::wolfface::wolfface:

New Threads

Top Bottom