• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Good Take Away Food

Outdated

I'm from the other end of the spectrum.
V.I.P Member
I started a thread about this once before and everyone bombarded it with their favourite fast food franchises. I’m not interested in them and don’t want to hear about them. No Pizza Huck, no McChucks, no Kentucky Fried Kitten. No other large franchises.

I want to know about the little corner shops, the little family owned take away food places that you go to. It could be your corner fish and chip shop, or the local Vietnamese or Lebanese restaurants. Greek, Italian or Indian. What sort of take away food is popular in your area and what sort of prices do you pay.

What prompted my post is that I have a hankering for some Vietnamese food but my favourite take away is closed today. Bummer, but such is life. Here’s a link to the absolute best Vietnamese food in my city, and it’s only around the corner from where I live.

It’s a family run restaurant and the people barely speak English but Oh Boy can they cook. The prices are really cheap too. The prices in this website are all in Australian Dollars. As a rough guide 15 Australian Dollars is worth about 10 US Dollars and about 8 Pounds Sterling.

It's easy here where I live, we only have one takeaway in the village where I live - they sell pizzas, burgers, that kind of things - it's hard to compare prizes as living costs are so different in different countries, but they are comparable to the big well-known fast food chains. - It's not like super nice, but well no choice, I'll have a number 33 with extra garlic please :)

It's not like super nice, but well no choice, I'll have a number 33 with extra garlic please :)
I have a corner pizza shop a bit like that too, run by Chinese people but unfortunately they've closed for a month while they go back home to visit family. Not the greatest pizzas I've ever had but not bad either and fairly cheap.

I also have a roast chicken shop around the corner that also does fish and chips and all the seafood things. They do great hamburgers too. All of these shops are so much cheaper than the large fast food franchises here, and as a general rule the quality of the food is far superior.

It's easy here where I live, we only have one takeaway in the village where I live
I just thought I should add - the standard of living and cost of living in Australia would be comparable to Denmark. A lot of tourists complain that everything is very expensive here but we have higher wages than many other countries too.

Advertised prices are what you pay By Law in Australia, so tax is included in those prices and we don't tip here, we pay staff a decent enough wage that they don't have to go begging and scabbing off of strangers.

Advertised prices are what you pay By Law in Australia, so tax is included in those prices and we don't tip here, we pay staff a decent enough wage that they don't have to go begging and scabbing off of strangers.
Same here, I don't get that tipping part, when it is kind of mandatory to do anyway, I know the history of why it was introduced in the US, and that is fine, but so much more simple here, you pay what it says on the menu... or on the price tag in shops - again I understand the issue with the different sales taxes in different states - but we can handle it, even with different currencies in Europe :)

I don't get that tipping part, when it is kind of mandatory to do anyway, I know the history of why it was introduced in the US, and that is fine,
It's a point of law here and the US is often held up as an example of why we don't want to start a tipping culture here. Hospitality workers in the US are charged tax as if they earnt 15% more than their actual income because that is the estimated amount they'll receive in tips. They are taxed this extra amount regardless of wether or not they received such tips.

Here it's not uncommon to see a Tips jar next to the till in many establishments and putting tips in that jar is always appreciated. At the end of the year those tips will pay for the staff Christmas party. If you give a waitperson a tip it is expected of them that they will put that money in the jar for the end of year party, if they instead pocket the money as a personal tip it will be seen by the other staff as stealing.

This was the same when working behind the bar too, when patrons wanted to buy me a drink I'd explain that I can't drink while working but I'd charge them and put the actual cash from the till to one side behind the bar where they could see it, with the promise that I'd drink their health when closing up for the night. But I didn't drink that money at the end of the night, it went in to the kitty for the end of year party. That way the staff working behind the scenes such as the cooks and the dishwashers all got their share as well.

Hmmm. I really like Hawaiian poverty comfort food. It's an incredibly rich blend of necessity borne of Navy rations and limited island grocery selections. And it's freaking delicious.

When I see a Hawaiian restaurant, I take notice and research their menu to see if they sell my favorites.

Spam Musubi

Loco Moco

Sushi Burritos

Those little fried squid balls

Deep fried Salmon Cheeks with rice and cole slaw on the side.

Dude.

Also.....

I would someday like to see a food cart or restaurant open up that sells Native American comfort foods like Navajo tacos on frybread and buffalo stew. There's this really good pudding they make with berries.

I go through these stints where I'll make frybread every night with dinner, but truth be told, I have to wait til pow wow season every year to eat it authentically.

There's a New Years pow wow about twenty miles away. I would have to take a taxi and not get home until maybe 2 am, but I am so tempted.

Last edited:
...and buffalo stew.
When I was living in the bush I got to eat fresh buffalo and I found a new love. Buffalo was a popular meat when I first moved up to Darwin, locally caught and local abattoirs and everything, and it was lovely. It disappeared as the nation wide conglomerates moved in which was a shame.

Then when I moved out bush local people hunted a lot because they couldn't afford to buy food. Foods people in cities can only afford on very special occasions we were eating because we couldn't afford anything else. Buffalo, Threadfin Salmon, Mud Crab, Scallops, Prawns. I ate well out there. My official rate for computer work was 2 beers an hour but many people couldn't afford beer so they paid me with food. I ate like a king.

The buffalo we have here are different to yours though, ours are an introduced species gone feral, the Indonesian Water Buffalo. Seriously tasty, a bloke gave me a T-bone that weighed 1.5Kg. I used a large fry pan with a lid and slow cooked it over a couple of hours, there's no fat in that meat and if you try to cook it quick it gets tough.

nt_buffalo.bamurra.plains.jpg

Finding street food that's tasty is easy, but finding street food that's also healthy isn't so easy. But in the UK there used to be people selling baked potatoes from portable ovens served with a variety of toppings. Delicious and healthy.

Here and in other countries I have visited, you can get people selling bread rings with sesame, seeds, raisins or even chocolate. Good as a light snack.

The most common kind of street food here is cheese pastries, but I don't like them so much because they are basically thick wads of pastry with a bit of cheese in the middle. Bland-tasting and heavy on the stomach. Also, sandwiches are very boring - basically either cheese and ham, or cheese and turkey, not a lot of variety. Some outlets have a greater range, though.

I would someday like to see a food cart or restaurant open up that sells Native American comfort foods like Navajo tacos on frybread and buffalo stew. There's this really good pudding they make with berries.
My favorite also.
It is the same where I live, must wait for the pow-wow every year,
also about 20 miles away from the house.
Frybread with buffalo stew is delicious.

In Missouri, there was a place north of Springfield where I lived that had a ranch restaurant that sold beefalo.
The owner crossed bison with cows and the meat was better than beef alone.
The hybrid never really caught on as an available meant.

A friend took us to a little kabab shop recently and it was the BEST kabab I have ever tasted. The taste actually was clean in my mouth ( hard to describe).

I am a fish and chip kinda girl and sadly, due to living in France, not much of a chance to indulge.

A friend took us to a little kabab shop recently and it was the BEST kabab I have ever tasted.
It's been a few years since I had a really good kebab, which is surprising given the number of middle eastern restaurants we have here.

I started a thread about this once before and everyone bombarded it with their favourite fast food franchises. I’m not interested in them and don’t want to hear about them. No Pizza Huck, no McChucks, no Kentucky Fried Kitten. No other large franchises.

I want to know about the little corner shops, the little family owned take away food places that you go to. It could be your corner fish and chip shop, or the local Vietnamese or Lebanese restaurants. Greek, Italian or Indian. What sort of take away food is popular in your area and what sort of prices do you pay.

What prompted my post is that I have a hankering for some Vietnamese food but my favourite take away is closed today. Bummer, but such is life. Here’s a link to the absolute best Vietnamese food in my city, and it’s only around the corner from where I live.

It’s a family run restaurant and the people barely speak English but Oh Boy can they cook. The prices are really cheap too. The prices in this website are all in Australian Dollars. As a rough guide 15 Australian Dollars is worth about 10 US Dollars and about 8 Pounds Sterling.

Whatever you have in terms of takeout, it is better when you have it fresh like made with fresh ingredients and not too deep fried like
Places like domino's, pizza hut, noodle box, KFC, Maccas etc.
So maybe fresh wood fired pizza or fish and chips or like fresh sushi.
I mean you can always make these things at home too but then extra effort.
Like you can make healthy pizzas or burgers, you can crumb fish and make chips etc.
You can make your version of Chinese or Japanese or Vietnamese. You just have to be able to cook.
I have made rice paper rolls too before but savoury is not my strength

My favourites that are much missed here: decent Indonesian, decent Thai, Surinamese and a decent lahmacun. They are all (except the Surinamese) presented on menus, but tend to not be cooked by chefs from these countries so fail to live up hopes. Satay tends to be cooked in a general Asian style, I desperately miss my old Thai fast food place where the thai basil would sing on the plate, a nice dark nasi goreng with that warm blast of heat and a lahmacun fresh and soft in the middle with crispy ends and chili sauce that makes your lips swell. Missed dearly. Sigh.

My favourites that are much missed here: decent Indonesian, decent Thai, Surinamese and a decent lahmacun. They are all (except the Surinamese) presented on menus, but tend to not be cooked by chefs from these countries so fail to live up hopes. Satay tends to be cooked in a general Asian style, I desperately miss my old Thai fast food place where the thai basil would sing on the plate, a nice dark nasi goreng with that warm blast of heat and a lahmacun fresh and soft in the middle with crispy ends and chili sauce that makes your lips swell. Missed dearly. Sigh.

Happy Birthday, MNAus! I grow Thai basil in the garden and love to make chicken satay with peanut sauce.

I'm in the Southern USA and we eat something traditional and rather weird for New Years. There's probably a take-out somewhere to get these symbolic, traditional foods but I'm cooking them myself later today:

Cornbread with yellow cornmeal - the yellow represents gold
Black-eyed peas - represent coins
Turnip, collards, and mustard greens cooked together - represents green paper money
Ham with pineapple rings and Maraschino cherries - just tastes good with everything else

Happy New Year's Eve, everyone!

I recently eat at what is called a "milk bar" next to my university. I can't eat their dumplings and pancakes, which are the main dishes in the milk bars, but I like their meat dishes with potatoes and veggies. The prices are super good, around 6 euro per meal.

I recently eat at what is called a "milk bar" next to my university.
In one of our states, Victoria, Milk Bar is what they call their local little corner shop. It's funny how they get different names in different states, in Queensland it's call a Convenience Store, in South Australia it's called a Delicatessen. It's basically the old school equivalent of a 7-11 or a Quick-E-Mart.

Being able to get a proper cooked meal for €6 sounds pretty good.

New Threads

Top Bottom