• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

good memory... encyclopedic mind

epath13

the Fool.The Magician.The...
V.I.P Member
Are you one of those people with encyclopedic mind? If you have a special interest or obsession, do you know everything about the subject.
I'm not one of those people. I had pretty good memory until age of 6. Then I started noticing that I couldn't remember things as well anymore. Later I could only remember things I could visualize in 2D. That's why geometry and biology were my favorite subjects. And yes I could find a way to imagine... let's say a human body and how it works in 2D...
but I've always been fascinated by people who can remember dates, names and events. or by people who have photographic memory. or folks who know everything about space... have no clue why, for me it's like this - space - 3D - no can do :) I'm wondering if it comes sort of naturally or they still have to put some effort into remembering all those things.

How about you?

I'm usually the guy they ask if they hit a dead end somewhere... someone once asked me what my name was, I told him " call me Oracle" lol.

With interests I am quite knowledgeable, and then some. I do have this thing where I do seperate "knowledge" and "interest". I know a lot, but I pretty much have an interest/care for a lot less.

As for dates, I have memories of the oddest things. I once told some girl who was at my place, that on september 18th last year we had a convo on Facebook, due to some post she made and I pretty much recalled the entire convo. She went to check it on her phone... which she almost dropped in awe. I even know some dates to when I bought cd's for over 10 years ago... when and where I bought a certain piece of clothing, or when I befriended people on social networks. It's kinda odd, because I have no idea what I do with those numbers. I might try the lottery with em... just for shits n giggles. Perhaps that's the masterplan... just like in that movie... (which I'm not gonna name, because I'd be spoiling it). Luckily my memory didn't fail me when I lost my cellphone when I was in another country and I had to phone my parents to phone my provider to lock my account. I knew both of my parents cellphone numbers like that... remembered the one of my gf back then as well... and I needed to tell her I would be home a bit later. Doesn't really help if she doesn't answer an unknown number...

The longer the numbers are (to some extent obviously), the easier I sometimes understand em, as I sometimes just blackout in from of the ATM and have to think what my 4 digit code is. But a 10 digit number is no problem usually...

I've been told that I have photographic memory, if that counts for anything. It's hit or miss though for the most part, it's more visual, and more biased towards my interests. I can pull up snapshots or sometimes clips of events that have happened in the past, but ask me about a certain subject I studied in school or a conversation and I'm stumped.

I have an encyclopedic knowledge related to my current interests. In fact, my dad has nicknamed me "Sisp-apedia" because of this. ("Sisp" being another one of my nicknames). My memory for facts related to my interests is much better than my memory related to other things. I don't purposely try to memorize everything related to my interests, but I think I retain the information better because I find it... well... interesting.

I personally have been told by a good number of my psychologists/psychiatrists/neurologists that my memory is what some term eidetic. I can remember almost anything that's happened but most clear are things pertaining to my interests. The thing is, my interests span such a wide gamut and I'm always finding something new that even interest-specific memory is rather good. However, unlike some, it's not only images I remember and can see in my mind's eye.
Say I'm rembering a conversation with my father...I remember the way the sun shone through the curtains, the smells, if I felt hot or cold, our positions relative to one another and in the room, my emotions, etc. This all comes up automatically when a memory is triggered. Before I began using some methods to push down the memories it was very overwhelming.

every good thing or neutral thing I remember is clear but so are all the horrible memories. It has led me to self medicate in order not to think/remember or even to form more memories. Thankfully, with some help, I'm learning how to sort of regulate the memory assault. As with many things in life, it's a great thing on one hand but on the other it can be a major source of anxiety, grief, over-stimulation, etc.

PS: My earliest memory is of my sister trying to hit me with a hammer while I crouched down and removed a teacup from a storage cabinet. I wore a white dress and she had shorts, brown leather sandals, a minnie mouse tee and pigtails. I was 3.5 ys old and she was almost 2.

I find this thread very interesting. I am fascinated by the human mind and how it works. My memory is kind of funny. Names and dates are very difficult for me to retrieve from memory, but I have a vast knowledge of all kinds of eclectic facts. History exams were really tough because I couldn't remember dates and names of the battles we were studying, but I could remember how many of each kind of gun they had and how many horses or mules they'd brought with them! It's pretty strange. I can remember all kind of details about something I'm interested in, but have trouble remembering my phone number, and there are chunks of my life that I can't remember at all.

I can recall visual memories as far back as 3yrs old. I could describe and/or draw what every home I ever lived in looks like on the inside
including every room. Every car we ever owned and anything I enjoyed places,objects, etc. I am bad with dates and names unless we where close.

You mentioned something I forgot! Dates! If it's hostory related or in something I study then great, it's a bit easier but most people's b'days and even exam dates or due dates? I'm a disaster.

I think in concepts. If I understand how or why, then it's locked in and I won't forget. Or if I do forget some detail, I can often figure it out given the parts I do recall. I'm horrible with specific details like dates or numbers, unless I can see a pattern (in which case it becomes a concept rather than rote learning). Given I also have trouble remembering the order of things (I'm dyslexic) I have learnt not to trust my memory for some things, this is more to do with the order of events rather than letters or numbers though.

My short term memory is a bit scary at times. I will completely forget a whole conversation I have in the morning, but a couple of hours later I may recall it again. I don't know why.

I am a visual thinker, so when trying to remember the title of a book or something like that, I will picture the cover and can describe the colours and layout, but the words will be fuzzy. When reading a book, I associate all the attributes of the characters with the picture of their name. If you then say the name to me, I will have no idea who you're talking about.

Trying to translate thoughts into verbal words is a challenge, but translating the same thoughts into written words is much easier. I have no idea why.

I was in the World Memory Championships a few years ago - and it remains a big interest/obsession of mine.

I would say a good comparison is running. Most of us can do it. Some of us are even naturally built to excel at it. Yet, it still takes a hell of a lot of work to get to the Olympics.

Wow Divrom, I am so impressed that you were in the memory games! I've seen them televised and I'm in awe of the hard work and raw talent it takes.

I have the memory thing for sure. A few examples - 1966 was the last year of the 'square' type body for the Chevy chevelles and Chevy Nova's (honestly for most of the classic muscle cars, they all followed in heel just as they do now) I can identify a HUGE variety of cars up to about 2010's (when i stopped working as a technician). I can tell you the engine size options for most...example - a 2003 Chevy Tahoe had the option of either a 4.8L V8 - a 5.3L V8 - or a 6.0L V8. Same options for any 2003 Chevy with an 8 cylinder engine (aside from corvette), standard rim size was 16" on the 03 Tahoe and the most common engine was a 5.3L. A 2003 Ford F-150 had these engine options - a 4.2L V6, 4.8L V8, 5.4L V8. 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 had - 3.7L V6, 4.7L V8 and of course the 5.7L Hemi V8, Dodge stopped using the 5.2L V8 (318ci) in 2001 and stopped the 5.9L V8 (360ci) sometime in 2002.

Now that you're bored out of your skull, I have absolutely no idea why I remember this crap, it goes on and on. I remember specifications on a lot of machines, computers, tools, vehicles, ATV's and so on. I suppose this could be usefull for mechanical engineering or something of the like....but I HATE algebra and beyond.

Just wanted to add I also have visual/video-graphic memories from as far back as 2-3 years old. I rememer a nightmare from when I was 2 for instance. I wont bore you with more details lol oh and my short term memory is pretty terrible, supposdly I have co-morbid ADD so yeah, I forget the list that was intent to help me not forget what to buy, really depends on how interested I am in what I'm doing. I am -forever distracted-

Last edited:
I'm usually the guy they ask if they hit a dead end somewhere... someone once asked me what my name was, I told him " call me Oracle" lol.

With interests I am quite knowledgeable, and then some. I do have this thing where I do seperate "knowledge" and "interest". I know a lot, but I pretty much have an interest/care for a lot less.

As for dates, I have memories of the oddest things. I once told some girl who was at my place, that on september 18th last year we had a convo on Facebook, due to some post she made and I pretty much recalled the entire convo. She went to check it on her phone... which she almost dropped in awe. I even know some dates to when I bought cd's for over 10 years ago... when and where I bought a certain piece of clothing, or when I befriended people on social networks. It's kinda odd, because I have no idea what I do with those numbers. I might try the lottery with em... just for shits n giggles. Perhaps that's the masterplan... just like in that movie... (which I'm not gonna name, because I'd be spoiling it). Luckily my memory didn't fail me when I lost my cellphone when I was in another country and I had to phone my parents to phone my provider to lock my account. I knew both of my parents cellphone numbers like that... remembered the one of my gf back then as well... and I needed to tell her I would be home a bit later. Doesn't really help if she doesn't answer an unknown number...

The longer the numbers are (to some extent obviously), the easier I sometimes understand em, as I sometimes just blackout in from of the ATM and have to think what my 4 digit code is. But a 10 digit number is no problem usually...

I relate to a lot of this, aside from the dates, I generally have a poor concept of time lol, i can remember months and years usually. The last bit there about the number sequences hits me right at home so to speak. In the third grade I memorized the 7's multiplication table through 7x10, why? Well, i could count by 1's, 5's and 10's already...but I liked 7's lol so I memorized it all in one weekend. I have 6 different passwords I generally use all of which are 100% random, I have had them memorized and in use since my early teens. All 6 are 8 digits or larger. And like I said below, I always remember random specifications for all types of machines and such. Only one example this time XD, the lug nut torque specification for generally all Honda/Acura vehicles is 80 ft.lbs.
(last one I promise LOL Most smaller Toyota vehicles are 76 ft.lbs...old fords are generally 100 ft.lbs. for 5-lug pattern. Okay..I'm done, sorry, I enjoy sharing my vast nearly useless collecion of specifications LOL (useless unless you work in a repair shop anyways)

Encyclopedic mind - my family call me a walking encyclopedia! Facts, statistics, dates; I seem to be able to memorise easily. It's like I subconsciously take a picture in my head then bring up the relevant image when it's needed. Obscure details that most people overlook I can recall with unusual precision. Faces - I never forget and voices.

I have a Wikipedia type of mind especially when I was little, I would rattle off facts and it would amaze the teachers. Then at age 9 everything went downhill and my memory got worse which was not helped by the cruel sport-obsessed treatment I got at high school. Now my mind feels kind of numb until there is something to stimulate it then it springs back to life in ways that surprise me. I could be brilliant but I am always stuck in dull anti-intellectual places (and New Zealand is a nation that only rewards sporting achievement, academics have to leave if they want to succeed) and so there is little chance to let my knowledge show.

I have an exceedingly good memory for things like dates/facts/names. I can also recite monologues from a huge number of different movies and stand up comedies (stand up was a "special interest" of mine for a very long time) I was always the first person in a play that had all their lines memorized, and usually accidentally memorized the whole show, and could help everyone else memorize their lines. :cool: I also have an encyclopedic knowledge of all of my special interests (E.G.: Sherlock Holmes, the Victorian Era in general) But because of my facial blindness, I cannot remember faces for the life of me. I'm also terrible at remembering anything having to do with math. I'm awful at math.

Yes, if i have read something i can look in my mind for it and remember. It started with reptiles and sharks and i can name every species of snake discovered and most lizards aside from some of the sub branches of agamids etc.

I have a Wikipedia type of mind especially when I was little, I would rattle off facts and it would amaze the teachers. Then at age 9 everything went downhill and my memory got worse which was not helped by the cruel sport-obsessed treatment I got at high school. Now my mind feels kind of numb until there is something to stimulate it then it springs back to life in ways that surprise me. I could be brilliant but I am always stuck in dull anti-intellectual places (and New Zealand is a nation that only rewards sporting achievement, academics have to leave if they want to succeed) and so there is little chance to let my knowledge show.
its true its like that's all what us kiwis care about rugby this rugby that well I don't give a crap about sports (unless its motorsports then I'm fine) I would rather spend hours playing Minecraft then spend a minute playing rugby.

New Threads

Top Bottom