• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Going to Japan or Being on Jeopardy!?

FromEquestria2LA

NOTE: The ! in Jeopardy! name is part of the show's title.
-----
Hiya. I wasn't sure whether to put this, so here goes.....
I have thought long and hard of going to Japan, fulfilling something that almost happened 18 years ago (I applied to go to Japan with my school, but I didn't make the cut) - going to Japan, or appearing on Jeopardy!. However, trying to get on Jeopardy! is harder than trying to get to Japan. With that said, I have several questions:

1) How is getting on Jeopardy! harder than getting to Japan?
2) Which would be more exciting for you, visiting Japan or appearing on Jeopardy!?
3) If you were in my shoes, and had to pick one between the two, which would you go for?

Thanks. :D

If I was in your shoes I would choose Japan. But, there’s a pretty good chance we wear very different shoes. Being on Jeopardy would likely cause panic for me.

What interesting options you have here. I would say it’s much more reliable buying a ticket to Japan. Of course, the Jeopardy thing feels more like a once in a lifetime sort of opportunity. Perhaps, Japan could wait for a few more years.

I’m better at considering all options than choosing sides. Good luck with this fascinating decision before you.

Getting on Jeopardy doesn't look any more easy than having a winning sweepstakes ticket in your possession.

My cousin once got on "The Price Is Right" in 1977. She was so adorable "coming on down". She won a nice piece of furniture. I'm just glad I got to see her that day on television. :cool:

1. Getting to be a Jeopardy candidate requires skill and luck through the two stages (test and audition), and then there's getting on the show and the possibility of getting selected at a time when things might not be convenient for you due to finances or other commitments.

Going to Japan is just a matter of having the time and money, that there are no travel restrictions (recently there was a period where Japan was closed to visitors due to pandemic related concerns) along with getting any travel requisites (passport, visa, perhaps Global Entry to make your airport experience smoother) in order.

2. I would love to appear on Jeopardy, even if it's on a day when the categories aren't in my areas of expertise and familiarity and I totally humiliate myself. My biggest childhood regret is that the encyclopedia reading kid in me knew the questions to probably 60-70% of the answers in Kid's Jeopardy, but I had no idea how one would get on the show (unlike America's Funniest Home Videos, Jeopardy didn't give an address or other indication of how to participate or potentially participate).

3. Hard to say what I'd pick in your shoes since you haven't really given much context about your interest in each.

^ Re: #2: Historically, the show would give out an address mid-show, and sometimes they would announce traveling auditions.

I don't recall an address (maybe it was given just as the studio name and city), but now that you mention it, I do recall they would mention and give the dates and locations of their "road" auditions, though there was never one that was near me.

I'd go to Japan in a heartbeat. My older brother, now deceased, was on Jeopardy! He did well until he hit a series of questions about Hollywood movies and actors, in which he had no interest or knowledge. I daresay he would advocate you should go to Japan.

The Price is Right is really easy to get onto. It's sort of a rite of passage in Southern California to get tickets to The Price is Right. The tickets are free, and people usually get the tickets for them and all their friends. Even if you don't get called to the stage to play, you'll still be on TV, when the camera pans the cheering crowd, several times during the episode.

The Price is Right is really easy to get onto. It's sort of a rite of passage in Southern California to get tickets to The Price is Right. The tickets are free, and people usually get the tickets for them and all their friends. Even if you don't get called to the stage to play, you'll still be on TV, when the camera pans the cheering crowd, several times during the episode.
Could well be, my cousin was a consummate Orange County Southern Californian all her short life.

About as close to the process I got was to be in the audience of a tv game show- "The Rebus Game". Interesting to observe a live tv production, but I don't recall a thing about the game itself....lol. :rolleyes:

Could well be, my cousin was a consummate Orange County Southern Californian all her short life.

About as close to the process I got was to be in the audience of a tv game show- "The Rebus Game". Interesting to observe a live tv production, but I don't recall a thing about the game itself....lol. :rolleyes:
We used to have a vhs of when my mom was on The Price is Right, back in the mid-90s. Her boss got tickets for a few of the ladies in her department, and they got to take off work that day, and party in Los Angeles. She didn't get called to the stage, but it was great fun to watch my mom and all her friends cheering.

My grandparents were on television, twice in the early-mid 1980s. They were on The Price is Right, as well, in the audience. They also were featured dancing on The Lawrence Welk Show. We had a Lawrence Welk resort very near our ranch (maybe 20-30 miles?). And sometimes episodes were filmed there. So the old folks were really into that show. Other than the local VFW, The Lawrence Welk Resort was where all of my grandparents' generation went out dancing on the weekend.

1) How is getting on Jeopardy! harder than getting to Japan?
2) Which would be more exciting for you, visiting Japan or appearing on Jeopardy!?
3) If you were in my shoes, and had to pick one between the two, which would you go for?
Wait a minute...

If you are trying to get on Jeopardy!,
shouldn't you be giving us the answers (instead of the questions)?
full

New Threads

Top Bottom