• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Getting "vibes" from people

Maybe animals are easier because their behavior isn't riddled with so many "rules" and exceptions to those rules. Also, it does seem as though some people on the spectrum have a strongly developed sense of these things, at least from what I'm reading and from what Dr. Atwood said.
Animals don't lie. They know before we do when there is a storm approaching, another animal nearby (I live right in front of a field of coyotes) and my chocolate lab always let's me know by all of his hair standing up, that I need to beware of coyote outside. And, my cats know if a person is trustworthy or not by their particular actions. If they're obnoxious in any way, my cats run to the farthest room of my apartment (bedroom closet).

Animals don't lie. They know before we do when there is a storm approaching, another animal nearby (I live right in front of a field of coyotes) and my chocolate lab always let's me know by all of his hair standing up, that I need to beware of coyote outside. And, my cats know if a person is trustworthy or not by their particular actions. If they're obnoxious in any way, my cats run to the farthest room of my apartment (bedroom closet).
So true. I totally believe it.

Well, some of us have such abilities. However I don't see it as being especially related to the spectrum of autism. I can sense negativity in empty rooms once occupied by either a negative person or someone who lived under very unfortunate circumstances. How long ago can be anywhere from a decade to a century or more.

Where I just feel suddenly "weighed down" as if there was pressure on my mind and body. A "sick" feeling where I begin to feel my body's energy simply drain, forcing me to sit or lie down for a bit. Hard to explain...it's just weird how I can be drawn to a space I've never seen or heard about...sensing something negative occurred there which taxes my own energy level when in close proximity of it.
Have you found out afterwards that there was a reason or an event that had occurred there?

We don't question seeing stars at night, even though what we are seeing is very far off and happened a long time ago. That is because we understand how it all works.

So I keep an open mind about haunted places, and ghosts, and the like, because so many people have confided strange happenings to me, and I've had a few things like that happen to me.

Also, I agree that some people are just not sensitive to such. I've known instances where people bought a house where a family had lived quietly for decades. Only when the new family moved in did things start to happen. And they are not necessarily bad things; simply inexplicable things. According to what we recognize as science, now.

A few hundred years ago, I'd be burned at the stake for heating something up in the microwave, wouldn't I?
Unfortunately, true. You would be. Thank God we don't live in those times. I'm a very logical person and don't tend to believe in ghosts, spirits etc. but then I'm also to the idea that some people truly feel something as a result of a negative event because I'm far from all- knowing. I am a skeptic at heart though.

Unfortunately, true. You would be. Thank God we don't live in those times. I'm a very logical person and don't tend to believe in ghosts, spirits etc. but then I'm also to the idea that some people truly feel something as a result of a negative event because I'm far from all- knowing. I am a skeptic at heart though.
You're not alone, I'm a skeptic as well. I have learned THE HARD WAY to research things extensively and not to believe in every thing I read or hear in the media. Too many scammers out there!

I'm going to make a double post, but it works here too:

One principle I came up with that has helped me personally is that if the wrong vibe is not extreme (not something like rape or abuse etc.), then you can always leave the door open, but make the door that much harder to open, and allow them the opportunity to initiate and do things that favor your interests and your schedule. Sometimes, being a bit more selfish at first as a self defense mechanism helps me to move on 99.99999% of the time, or to allow the person to actually follow through enough that they show that they care if your trust or senses are being blockaded or "barriered".

If I'm using an online dating site, I don't accept "shy" to the point that people don't talk. If you don't want to talk and get to know a person in-person, then you take that risk that the other person will just use the Internet as a wall. If someone is not willing to schedule something with you in advance and they get flaky, I "run" for the hills and will only schedule stuff with them at the last minute that I was planning on doing anyway even if it's inconvenient for them. So, until said person actually meets up (pretty unlikely), I continue with my own life. We have to try to carry ourselves this way I think. It's not easy, but it helps us manage life more easily I think.

Have you found out afterwards that there was a reason or an event that had occurred there?

Yes, on occasion. Everything from a disagreeable personality to a child dying to an art gallery that was once an infamous, rowdy bar where people routinely were injured.

About locations...Once I was with my mother, and we were looking at apartments. We stopped to look at one, and as soon as we got near the building I started to feel as if I wanted to get away from it, and fast. My mother felt funny too, so we declined to look at the place and went somewhere for coffee. In reading a newspaper that someone had left behind, we saw that just a few days before we looked at the place, a murder had taken place in that very building.

I'm also very sensitive to the "energy" of people. I find it difficult to read facial expressions, and I have no clue if people mean what they say. But if I'm given some space (not being talked to all the time, people not standing too close to me), I pick up on things that many others miss.

Sometimes I feel bad about it, because I feel like I'm being too judgemental. But I've been proven right many times. Like when saw a man on a train, and thought he was a criminal. Shortly after, he called a friend to let him know that he was out of prison.

I have no idea if I was born with it or if it developed. But either way, I think it's just another way to see the world. There are so many things that NTs see, that I don't. And in return, I see things they don't.

I'm also very sensitive to the "energy" of people. I find it difficult to read facial expressions, and I have no clue if people mean what they say. But if I'm given some space (not being talked to all the time, people not standing too close to me), I pick up on things that many others miss.

Sometimes I feel bad about it, because I feel like I'm being too judgemental. But I've been proven right many times. Like when saw a man on a train, and thought he was a criminal. Shortly after, he called a friend to let him know that he was out of prison.

I have no idea if I was born with it or if it developed. But either way, I think it's just another way to see the world. There are so many things that NTs see, that I don't. And in return, I see things they don't.
The brain works in mysterious ways, huh? We humans are pretty interesting.

For people and places, drastic inconsistencies jump out at me pretty quickly, if present.* I notice subtle inconsistencies, too, but they can be a bit more difficult to distinguish from normal human imperfections, so I take my time in evaluating those.

"Honesty" exhibits clean/consistent rhythms & patterns (even with human imperfection). "Dishonesty" is very disjointed & pockmarked.

*This is similar to plot holes in movies or typos.

Last edited:
For people and places, drastic inconsistencies jump out at me pretty quickly, if present.* I notice subtle inconsistencies, too, but they can be a bit more difficult to distinguish from normal human imperfections, so I take my time in evaluating those.

"Honesty" exhibits clean/consistent rhythms & patterns (even with human imperfection). "Dishonesty" is very disjointed & pockmarked.

*This is similar to plot holes in movies or typos.
I find this a great description. I get it based on how you explain the experience of honesty vs dishonesty.

My intuition is very sharp, but since I was a girl (I assume that's why) I've always been discouraged from listening to it. Then I would feel guilty when I got screwed over because I did in fact have a feeling they were like that.

My intuition is very sharp, but since I was a girl (I assume that's why) I've always been discouraged from listening to it. Then I would feel guilty when I got screwed over because I did in fact have a feeling they were like that.

I hope you have gotten over that! I grew up in a culture that insisted I become someone I am not; I was never happy until I was able to use my intuition instead of their stupid rules.

As a child, til I developed self consciouness at about 17, I was very in tune with my vibe radar. Sadly, I began to mistrust it and ignore it in my masking and fitting in phase. I think it might be a worthy goal to repair my delapidated radar and get it working again. But, yes, OP, some do have what WereBear noted as other well developed senses to compensate. I see through masks quite easily; I suppose it takes one to know one. It also means I see beauty hidden deep down too. Trying to extracate it gets me burnt too.

New Threads

Top Bottom