• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Fictional Characters whom you think have Asperger/autism

Isnt it funny that alot of the most popular sitcoms and dramas (though i dont watch alot of dramas) have a character with symptoms of ASD. Sheldon from the Big Bang. Brick from The Middle. Abed from Community. House from house. There are like tons more. I think it is interesting how they try to betray Abed with an honest perspective of developmental disorder. Other shows cherry pick the symptoms of ASD they want the character to have.

Wow look at this list. there are TONS!

List of fictional characters on the autism spectrum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Garfield the cat.
POssibly his owner as well.

images

images

Stimming
tumblr_mrzz1zfxc21qz8z2ro1_500.png

0408.png

Last edited:
I don't think someone brought this up, but;

Black manta, the archenemy of Aquaman.

It's not even suggested, it's spelled out clearly in the comics even. Aquaman #8 from the 2003 continuation shows how Black manta, before he ended up with his fancy super villain costume, was a patient in Arkham Asylum as a child, who partially due to his obsession with Aquaman and mistreatment at the asylum became "evil".

That's probably a recent addition, as I don't recall classic Black Manta being driven mad by abuse---he was just jealous of his brother, IIRC. I don't think he's autistic, though.

That's probably a recent addition, as I don't recall classic Black Manta being driven mad by abuse---he was just jealous of his brother, IIRC. I don't think he's autistic, though.

I don't know about the classic one. I don't go back that far, heh. His initial inception might be totally different than what we have now, or what it evolved in, in later iterations (aside from the new 52, which tends to be a full reboot). I'm just stating what I read in the 2003 continuation of the Aquaman comics.

Whether his traits qualify as autistic might be hard to tell in comics, especially when it's not the main character, but a villain who shows up every once in a while. It was mostly some OCD behaviour and sensory issues, which don't even need to be connected to autism per definition, but given that Aquaman used his telepathic abilities to delve into his memory and discovered that Manta was autistic I'm not going to argue if they depict the condition properly in fiction. When it comes to comics, there's a lot that can go on in between 2 frames so to speak.

What's also worth noting in relation to the classic manta, is that autism was perceived slightly differently by society back in the 1960's when he first appeared, so I could understand they didn't go with that angle right away. Though from what I'm reading on wikipedia his origin story wasn't around until the early 90's (and that was filled with sexual abuse and such), wheras the 2nd origin story was the one from the early 2000's where he was autistic.

It was mostly some OCD behaviour and sensory issues, which don't even need to be connected to autism per definition, but given that Aquaman used his telepathic abilities to delve into his memory and discovered that Manta was autistic.
Did they use the term "autistic" in the comic? Huh. Interesting. Admittedly, I need to read up on my Aquaman stuff. I know far much more about, say, Batman characters. :p

Aw man, I love Donna!

Here's one that (I don't think) has been suggested yet: Joel and Clementine from Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

Joel, to me anyway, is kind of obvious. He is soft-spoken, shy, can't make eye contact, gets really absorbed in what he's doing (like his journal). Clementine is impulsive, blurts things out inappropriately, has a poor sense of boundaries, and has her own little obsessions and oddities (like her potato collection).

(Of course, Clementine works at a bookshop, so maybe I'm biased. :) )

I'm a huge West Wing fan (have the entire series on DVD), so I just had to add her. I wasn't sure if anyone would know who she was since the series has been off for a number of years.
My dad watches it over and over. Donna does seem like a likely candidate.

Now that I've started watching the series again, I'm starting to think that maybe House could, after all, have AS. I'm starting to think that could be a legitimate interpretation of that character. Not completely sure yet, but maybe...

I think House would rebel against the idea. I haven't seen all of the series (I really should correct that sometime), but I've seen a good chunk of it. Obviously his emotional baggage is a contributing factor. But really, House is just House. In many ways he enjoys being an ass, though of course it's an emotional defense mechanism. I think if he were Aspie, he'd feel more guilty about his misanthropy than he generally does.

I think House would rebel against the idea. I haven't seen all of the series (I really should correct that sometime), but I've seen a good chunk of it. Obviously his emotional baggage is a contributing factor. But really, House is just House. In many ways he enjoys being an ass, though of course it's an emotional defense mechanism. I think if he were Aspie, he'd feel more guilty about his misanthropy than he generally does.

I don't. I know a woman who vehemently denies being Aspie, despite evidence to the contrary. You can't use "he'd rebel against the idea" as proof that he isn't. I think you should be careful with stereotyping us all as people who feel guilty about not liking people. I, for one, think it's just right and proper that I don't like people.

Excuse me? Stereotyping people? No, no, no. I am speaking exclusively about one character. If I were speaking about all people with ASD, I would have said so. Bear in mind that this is just my opinion of House---he just doesn't seem Aspie to me. I wasn't calling anything "proof." I was just expressing my thoughts. Perhaps I should have elaborated a bit more. I will post a more organized version of my assessment of House when I have more energy. The hour is late for me and I do not express myself well when tired.

But if my opinions aren't welcome here, I'll be happy to leave everyone alone. That seems to be what everybody in my life wants me to do lately anyway. I thought AC would be the exception to the rule, but I guess it isn't.

New Threads

Top Bottom