• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Fictional Characters whom you think have Asperger/autism

How about Forest Gump? Anyone say him yet? Is he an Aspie?
How about Grumpy Cat? I know Grumpy Cat has to be an Aspie. Wait, Grumpy Cat is
real, but I still think she's an Aspie.

House is on "Top ten lists" on the net, of characters with aspergers along with Sherlock Holmes usually, both of them are usually always on these "pop culture" lists. House has a Meyers briggs personality type of INTJ. An Asperger with a Meyers briggs personality type of INTJ can be that cruel, cold and calculating and not feel any semblance of guilt, depending on the persons own morale code, I know this because I am an Asperger with an personality of INTJ, However I would not be like this to my wife or mother, people that are very dear to me, I would obviously not be "cold" towards them.

Hmmm, I think I'm an intj too. I often wonder how I'd treat people if I could get away with it (as in having a job that puts me beyond the need to be nice to people!)

Unfortunately, in the real world, I never got to be an indispensable super doctor who everyone needed and couldn't replace!! Ah well... :)

Hmmm, I think I'm an intj too. I often wonder how I'd treat people if I could get away with it (as in having a job that puts me beyond the need to be nice to people!)

Unfortunately, in the real world, I never got to be an indispensable super doctor who everyone needed and couldn't replace!! Ah well... :)

INTJ's have no respect for any sort of authority, a superior in a workplace, rules...anything and are generally extremely arrogant, depending on their knowledge of their own strengths and weaknesses, they view the world as a chess board and people as chess pieces, but they have extremely poor emotional intelligence, so seem like human robots and seem almost emotionless. It's why house is so cruel to others. They also have a very dark sense of humor and never spare anyone's feelings, generally anyway.

There's always exception's and I can only speak of what I've read, of myself and of well written characters..., they generally have higher than average intellect as well, since all they do is think about how and why things work, or how thing could be improved etc..., an example would be the Sherlock Holmes movie, as portrayed by Robert Downey jr, he's also INTJ Asperger, constantly analyzing things.... it's all They/we do...

As for why both Sherlock and House are never outright stated to have Asperger's, it's to give them an air of mysteriousness and...well,
"weirdness", we appear quirky to "Neurotypicals" or "normals"

To find out if you are an INTJ or not you would need to take a Meyers briggs test, an accurate one, they have 70 questions or so, maybe more in some cases and there is 16 personality types, if there is less than that many questions,find a different site, it won't be accurate, only 2% of the population have an MBPT of INTJ, it's the second rarest of the types.

Forest Gump is on the autism spectrum as far as i know

I've taken the Meyer Briggs test numerous times, (Wondering if the outcome would be different)

It's always the same result of INTJ.
There must be gender differences?
I'm female. Any female INTJ personality types on here?

I've read the report on an INTJ profile.
I'm ok with it. Lol

Just taken a test and come up with INTP, and reading the description it is 100% accurate :D Don't want to derail the thread, but it means I'm a little more sensitive than House, but do not suffer fools at all - so I can display my sharpened teeth to anyone coming at me with flawed reasoning! Result! :)

Now, I'm going to have to think of any fictional characters like this. Hmm, not as dramatic as House, and so not as attractive to audiences.

INTJ's have no respect for any sort of authority, a superior in a workplace, rules...anything and are generally extremely arrogant, depending on their knowledge of their own strengths and weaknesses, they view the world as a chess board and people as chess pieces, but they have extremely poor emotional intelligence, so seem like human robots and seem almost emotionless. It's why house is so cruel to others. They also have a very dark sense of humor and never spare anyone's feelings, generally anyway.

There's always exception's and I can only speak of what I've read, of myself and of well written characters..., they generally have higher than average intellect as well, since all they do is think about how and why things work, or how thing could be improved etc..., an example would be the Sherlock Holmes movie, as portrayed by Robert Downey jr, he's also INTJ Asperger, constantly analyzing things.... it's all They/we do...

As for why both Sherlock and House are never outright stated to have Asperger's, it's to give them an air of mysteriousness and...well,
"weirdness", we appear quirky to "Neurotypicals" or "normals"

To find out if you are an INTJ or not you would need to take a Meyers briggs test, an accurate one, they have 70 questions or so, maybe more in some cases and there is 16 personality types, if there is less than that many questions,find a different site, it won't be accurate, only 2% of the population have an MBPT of INTJ, it's the second rarest of the types.

Forest Gump is on the autism spectrum as far as i know

I hate to tell you, but you couldn't be more wrong about the INTJ personality. I've tested several times as an INTJ, but I've also tested out as an NT so there might be some differences with INTJ NT's and INTJ Aspies. I have utmost respect for any authority figure as long as they don't abuse there position. I think arrogance is rude - a person can be well versed on a subject without being a know-it-all (if I encounter a know-it-all I shut down immediately). I'm not really sure what you mean by "extremely poor emotional intelligence" as my emotions and how I handle them seem appropriate to me and no one has ever told me different. Sense of humor for me is sarcastic, but not dark - people have actually commented that I should be a comedian. And I always take into consideration people's feelings before I say something, but if I know what I will say could be taken as "hurtful" I always let the person know beforehand because I will never lie. I could be different from other INTJ personalities possibly because I choose to be. I really hate rudeness.

Dr Spencer Reid from criminal minds seems to have some similarities with people I know who have ASD

I used to think that George Sunday from My Hero was possibly autistic, as he did show some traits in my opinion.
In the series he's actually an alien from a planet called Ultron, who has become a superhero on Earth called Thermoman (apparently becoming a superhero for other worlds is a business on Ultron).

I'll let you watch the pilot episode and judge for yourself.

Not aspie (they are aliens), but the characters in 3rd Rock From The Sun convinced me to think there's at least one aspie on the team responsible for it.

I've also noticed Peanuts being mentioned a few times. There's an excellent documentary on Charles Schulz, the creator of Peanuts, in the American Masters series. The possibility of Aspergers is mentioned.

This thread is *incredibly* cool! All of the characters mentioned (that I'm familiar with) are my favorite on their respective show. I wonder why <smirk>?

I took the Myers-Briggs many years ago, but I don't remember how I was classified … but if anyone says they took it online for free, it's a fake -- read the fine print.

I don't see Dr House as cruel … he doesn't like being around people, but he's super-focused on helping them. If spending time with them arouses emotions that distract from his diagnostic skills, I'm ok with how he has adapted … because he gets the job done! Though I'd be really pissed if a doc sent someone to search my house … but he *is* thorough. As much as I loved Dr House I dropped the show because they got way too soap-opera-ish with the peeps on his team, but I digress. I've recently become fascinated with Sherlock Holmes and found out that Dr House was an intentional homage to The Great Detective. House/Holmes, Wilson/Watson, recreational drug use, apartment 221B, and many other Easter eggs on the show … there is a great comparison vid on YouTube. Also, the character of Sherlock Holmes was based on a real-life doctor, a friend of Sir ACD. On BBC's Sherlock, Watson mentions Aspergers once, but they don't emphasize it … but if it's from the ACD canon that explains Downey Jr's Sherlock as well.

Big Bang Theory: I do a little creative writing as an outlet, giving voice to my cats … a few years ago one of them described me thus: "She wishes she was Penny, thinks she's Leonard … but she's really more like Sheldon." Insightful little furball, she was.

Star Trek: TNG … Data was always my favorite, another Sherlock-like character with Geordi as his Watson …

I love how this is finally making all the pieces of my life fit together! YAY for Aspies!

On BBC's Sherlock, Watson mentions Aspergers once, but they don't emphasize it … but if it's from the ACD canon that explains Downey Jr's Sherlock as well.
It's not canon. Dr. Asperger's research occurred well after Conan Doyle's death, and Asperger's was not identified in its modern sense until the late 1980s. What Sherlock has done, by putting the characters into a modern setting, is try to provide some sense of explanation as to why Sherlock is how he is. This was never done in the original text. I really think Sherlock could go either way, personally.

It's not canon. Dr. Asperger's research occurred well after Conan Doyle's death, and Asperger's was not identified in its modern sense until the late 1980s. What Sherlock has done, by putting the characters into a modern setting, is try to provide some sense of explanation as to why Sherlock is how he is. This was never done in the original text. I really think Sherlock could go either way, personally.

Hi Ereth,

I know the diagnosis couldn't possibly be canon, as you said, but at first I thought the traits stemmed from this particular adaptation. As I look into the stories and watch other interpretations, it looks like some of the Aspie-like traits trace all the way back to Conan Doyle's original stories. Nothing is definite, though, as even the Sherlockian websites seem to be caught in a fierce debate on the subject. BBC's Sherlock himself claims (several times) to be a "high-functioning sociopath", and I've even read a few different viewpoints on how he doesn't fit that diagnosis and why he would make such a claim. I find the whole thing fascinating.

I started to make a snarky remark about how he couldn't have a diagnosis without a time machine, but it would have been out-of-context. I was just listening to a podcast from The Baker Street Babes (a blog/website/podcast that covers any/all adaptations of Sherlock Holmes) ... where they held a panel on Star Trek. In the original series, Spock had used a well-known Sherlock Holmes quote and attributed it to one of his ancestors, and when Spock died of radiation poisoning in the movies, his conversation with Kirk contained references back to Sherlock Holmes' death in The Final Problem (which was of course mirrored in the more recent Star Trek movies). So they proposed (tongue-in-cheek, of course) that since the Enterprise had been known to time-travel and Spock was physically required to mate every seven years, Spock could possibly be an ancestor to Sherlock Holmes. Kinda twists your brain in knots, doesn't it?

I know I'm off on a tangent here, but one last thing. I think it's pretty cool that Trekkies (myself included) are becoming more aware of (and giving credit to) the literary influences that feed into their script-writing. Thanks for the input!

BBC's Sherlock himself claims (several times) to be a "high-functioning sociopath", and I've even read a few different viewpoints on how he doesn't fit that diagnosis and why he would make such a claim. I find the whole thing fascinating.
I'm not entirely convinced he's a sociopath either. But I'll save my commentary on that for another time.

In the original series, Spock had used a well-known Sherlock Holmes quote and attributed it to one of his ancestors, and when Spock died of radiation poisoning in the movies, his conversation with Kirk contained references back to Sherlock Holmes' death in The Final Problem (which was of course mirrored in the more recent Star Trek movies). So they proposed (tongue-in-cheek, of course) that since the Enterprise had been known to time-travel and Spock was physically required to mate every seven years, Spock could possibly be an ancestor to Sherlock Holmes. Kinda twists your brain in knots, doesn't it?
I'm a Trekkie myself---though I need to actually sit down and watch a lot of Star Trek stuff, including the new movies. I grew up watching whatever reruns I could get of the various series, but now that I'm an adult I really need to watch everything. :p

I am aware of the whole Sher-spock thing, though. I'm sure fanfiction writers have already "boldly gone" to explore that possibility already. :D

New Threads

Top Bottom