• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Fictional Characters whom you think have Asperger/autism

I have been watching Crossing Jordan again and I am starting to wonder if Nigel was a an Aspie. It just seems to me that he could be on the Aspie portion or HFA at least.

I think House would rebel against the idea. I haven't seen all of the series (I really should correct that sometime), but I've seen a good chunk of it. Obviously his emotional baggage is a contributing factor. But really, House is just House. In many ways he enjoys being an ass, though of course it's an emotional defense mechanism. I think if he were Aspie, he'd feel more guilty about his misanthropy than he generally does.
I wasn't thinking of his misanthropy but rather of his obsessiveness.

A fair point. I can see House pretending to be autistic to piss people off, but that's as far as I think it goes. He's obsessive and grumpy around people, yeah, but he's manipulative on a level that doesn't seem associated with ASD to me. (Of course, I'm no expert.) He's aware of most social cues, in my opinion, and he loves breaking the rules. An Aspie may not even be aware of said "rules."

The book that immediately springs to my mind is 'Jane Eyre', written by Charlotte Bronte. I strongly believe that Mr Rochester displayed traits of AS.
I was enthralled by his aloof character, and also his disasterous attempts to woo Jane. Which largely consisted of ignoring her, paying her attention...ignoring her again and inducing envy on her part, by openly courting another woman. (Jane believed her to be far more beautiful, her rival was also from a higher social standing). All of which back fired with epic proportions.

I feel that he was a profoundly brave, loving and kind man. (However during my studies of English Literature, my peers strongly disagreed, thinking he was beyond cruel and thoughtless) Also that he brought his misfortune upon himself.

However, he adopted his love rivals child after the death of his mistress. He refused to put his mentally disabled wife into an institution because he thought them cruel, inhumane cess pits. He was a good master to his staff and threw lavish parties for his friends, despite preferring to live a reclusive lifestyle.

He loved Jane, ( who society deemed beneath him) but due to the era found himself unable to divorce his often violent wife. Keeping her in the attic accompanied by a personnel hand maid, may have seemed to be an unthinkable ,callous course of action. However had he abandoned her to an asylum, her fate would have been much worse. (It was common place for the staff to goad and beat the patients, treating them as little more than wild, savage animals)

Despite the fact that he attempted to commit bigamy, his heart was in the right place. Societal norms during the times heavily frowned upon divorce, and in many cases outright forbid it.

Understandably Jane felt betrayed, and distraught, so immediately fled. Leaving Mr Rochester heart broken, subsequently sinking into a profound depression. His devotion toward her was genuine, so was his remorse.

However when his deranged wife finally set the manor alight. Mr Rochester fought back fierce flames in order to account for his staff. He could have left them to perish. He was afterall master of the house. (Society during the times treated the lower classes as despensible)

Mr Rochester also braved the scorching heat to save his wife, costing him his eyesight. Unfortunately she commited suicide by jumping from the roof. Had he posessed no conscious, he could have left her to succumb to the blaze. Finally eradicating her out of his life once and for all. Freeing himself to remarry!

Mr Rochester was indeed a rather unconventional character. However he was far from heartless. I think he was misunderstood.

I should probably stop before I type the whole plot.

Last edited:
The book that immediately springs to my mind is 'Jane Eyre', written by Charlotte Bronte. I strongly believe that Mr Rochester displayed traits of AS.
I was enthralled by his aloof character, and also his disasterous attempts to woo Jane. Which largely consisted of ignoring her, paying her attention...ignoring her again and inducing envy on her part, by openly courting another woman. (Jane believed her to be far more beautiful, her rival was also from a higher social standing). All of which back fired with epic proportions.

I feel that he was a profoundly brave, loving and kind man. (However during my studies of English Literature, my peers strongly disagreed, thinking he was beyond cruel and thoughtless) Also that he brought his misfortune upon himself.

However, he adopted his love rivals child after the death of his mistress. He refused to put his mentally disabled wife into an institution because he thought them cruel, inhumane cess pits. He was a good master to his staff and threw lavish parties for his friends, despite preferring to live a reclusive lifestyle.

He loved Jane, ( who society deemed beneath him) but due to the era found himself unable to divorce his often violent wife. Keeping her in the attic accompanied by a personnel hand maid, may have seemed to be an unthinkable ,callous course of action. However had he abandoned her to an asylum, her fate would have been much worse. (It was common place for the staff to goad and beat the patients, treating them as little more than wild, savage animals)

Despite the fact that he attempted to commit bigamy, his heart was in the right place. Societal norms during the times heavily frowned upon divorce, and in many cases outright forbid it.

Understandably Jane felt betrayed, and distraught, so immediately fled. Leaving Mr Rochester heart broken, subsequently sinking into a profound depression. His devotion toward her was genuine, so was his remorse.

However when his deranged wife finally set the manor alight. Mr Rochester fought back fierce flames in order to account for his staff. He could have left them to perish. He was afterall master of the house. (Society during the times treated the lower classes as despensible)

Mr Rochester also braved the scorching heat to save his wife, costing him his eyesight. Unfortunately she commited suicide by jumping from the roof. Had he posessed no conscious, he could have left her to succumb to the blaze. Finally eradicating her out of his life once and for all. Freeing himself to remarry!

Mr Rochester was indeed a rather unconventional character. However he was far from heartless. I think he was misunderstood.

I should probably stop before I type the whole plot.
When I read Jane Eyre years ago, I thought Rochester was a jerk. But your post gives me a different way of looking at him.

When I read Jane Eyre years ago, I thought Rochester was a jerk. But your post gives me a different way of looking at him.

I remember watching a film adaptatation last year, starring Michael Fassbender and Mia Wasikowska. Although I preferred the book, it was truly beautiful.
Michael Fassbender brought Mr Rochester alive.

Last edited:
Actually, I feel that Jane was a little cold. She was so contemptuous of so many people.
That's not difficult to understand. Just look at how she grows up! And she also has a sense of morality that makes attempts at most relationships very difficult. She wants little to do with people who don't respect those values.

Actually, I feel that Jane was a little cold. She was so contemptuous of so many people.

I can understand why Jane's character may be interpreted in such a way. But I believe it was self preservation. Jane was a born survivor. Orphaned by both parents at an early age, then left to an aunt who depised her. Ridiculed by her cousins and treated like a burden, before eventually being sent to an educational institution. She must have developed an extremely thick skin.

Also again notice the era and its relationship to English custom. During those times England was far more reserved than it is in modern times.
Jane would have been aware of her social standing. An abandoned destitute orphan, living in sub standard conditions, susceptible to various diseases, e.g polio. She would've been extremely lucky to have survived childhood.

Jane used shear grit and determination to gain an education and work her way out of poverty. I admired her character. She was the epitome of both strength and dignity.

Mr Rochester was her boss. He employed and paid her wages. Jane would have been reserved due to the awareness of her position. She was deeply in love with Mr Rochester, however there was also a distinct age difference. He was well over a decade older than her 19 years and subsequently wiser.

Mr Rochester had suffered during his marriage. It was arranged for him by his father because his prospect came from an affluent family. (Hence creating a strong financial bond between both families) Mr Rochester was a much younger man at the time he entered into the union and felt entrapped. He married out of an obligation to adhere to the strict societal norms. There was no love.

Jane and Mr Rochester were drawn to each other because despite their superficial differences, they were fundamentally opposite sides of the same coin.

Awwww I just LOVE that book!

Last edited:
He was well over a decade older than her 19 years and subsequently wiser.
I actually think that Jane is the wiser of the two, and by a pretty wide margin. Don't forget that he wants to run away with her and live a life of hedonism together. Obviously Jane wants none of that---both for her own moral reasons and because it does him no good to continue such an indulgent lifestyle.

IDon't forget that he wants to run away with her and live a life of hedonism together. Obviously Jane wants none of that---both for her own moral reasons and because it does him no good to continue such an indulgent lifestyle.

Yes you have a very valid point there.
However, this declaration came after the wedding was stopped. His 1st priority was indeed to make an honest woman of her. He had been effectively estranged from his mentally ill wife living in the attic for some time.

Therefore in Rochesters mind, he simply paid for her keep and care. No sexual relations went on between the pair, nor was there any emotional bond. To his mind he hadn't lied to Jane in a deliberate, conniving manner. His crime was to fail to mention the marital 'contract', which was void by both parties. It was a marriage in name, and name alone.

Mr Rochester was indeed wiser. Wiser to life. He had travelled the world extensively. Life had taught him more.

Jane stuck to her principles and had a firm moral compass. That is certain. Mr Rochester begged for them to live as partners. He promised to love and be faithful to her. I believe he would have stuck to his word.

During the era cohabitating couples were frowned up on anyway. A wife in the attic would have fuelled the flames for gossip, way before the actual ones had started! Lol.

It was a happy ending though.
Jane used logic and returned. Forgiving Mr Rochester and giving her hand in marriage. I'm certain she realised just how hard and lonely the world was without him.

(After the cremation of his estranged wife of course)

Last edited:
House is on "Top ten lists" on the net, of characters with aspergers along with Sherlock Holmes usually, both of them are usually always on these "pop culture" lists. House has a Meyers briggs personality type of INTJ. An Asperger with a Meyers briggs personality type of INTJ can be that cruel, cold and calculating and not feel any semblance of guilt, depending on the persons own morale code, I know this because I am an Asperger with an personality of INTJ, However I would not be like this to my wife or mother, people that are very dear to me, I would obviously not be "cold" towards them.

Yes you have a very valid point there.
However, this declaration came after the wedding was stopped. His 1st priority was indeed to make an honest woman of her.
No, it wasn't. Not really. If it were up to him he would have married Jane and kept his first wife, Bertha, a secret. Or did you forget that a letter from Bertha's brother stops the wedding? And then, in following the typical condemnation of the mentally ill as the order of the day, Rochester likens his first wife to a demon in order to praise his would-be second.

He keeps trying to dress her up, like a doll, and cover her in jewels. He loves Jane, but at this point he does not respect her as his future spouse. It's only when he's lost her, and nearly loses his life after that, that Rochester realizes what a fool he has been. Oh, and let's not forget that he uses Miss Ingram to spur jealousy in Jane. That's hardly wise or kind. I do not condemn Mr. Rochester as evil, but he is selfish, hedonistic, posessive, and manipulative, and before his reform at the end of the book, he is not a good match for Jane. It's also worth noting that it is quite possible that he fathered Adèle out of wedlock with Celine Varens. (It's never confirmed, and she does not look like him, but it is still a possibility.)

Some important passages from the book:

“Yes, Mrs. Rochester,” said he; “young Mrs. Rochester—Fairfax Rochester’s girl-bride.”

“It can never be, sir; it does not sound likely. Human beings never enjoy complete happiness in this world. I was not born for a different destiny to the rest of my species: to imagine such a lot befalling me is a fairy tale—a day-dream.”

“Which I can and will realise. I shall begin to-day. This morning I wrote to my banker in London to send me certain jewels he has in his keeping,—heirlooms for the ladies of Thornfield. In a day or two I hope to pour them into your lap: for every privilege, every attention shall be yours that I would accord a peer’s daughter, if about to marry her.”

“Oh, sir!—never rain jewels! I don’t like to hear them spoken of. Jewels for Jane Eyre sounds unnatural and strange: I would rather not have them.”

“I will myself put the diamond chain round your neck, and the circlet on your forehead,—which it will become: for nature, at least, has stamped her patent of nobility on this brow, Jane; and I will clasp the bracelets on these fine wrists, and load these fairy-like fingers with rings.”

“No, no, sir! think of other subjects, and speak of other things, and in another strain. Don’t address me as if I were a beauty; I am your plain, Quakerish governess.”

“You are a beauty in my eyes, and a beauty just after the desire of my heart,—delicate and aërial.”

“Puny and insignificant, you mean. You are dreaming, sir,—or you are sneering. For God’s sake don’t be ironical!”

“I will make the world acknowledge you a beauty, too,” he went on, while I really became uneasy at the strain he had adopted, because I felt he was either deluding himself or trying to delude me. “I will attire my Jane in satin and lace, and she shall have roses in her hair; and I will cover the head I love best with a priceless veil.”

“And then you won’t know me, sir; and I shall not be your Jane Eyre any longer, but an ape in a harlequin’s jacket—a jay in borrowed plumes. I would as soon see you, Mr. Rochester, tricked out in stage-trappings, as myself clad in a court-lady’s robe; and I don’t call you handsome, sir, though I love you most dearly: far too dearly to flatter you. Don’t flatter me.”

He pursued his theme, however, without noticing my deprecation. “This very day I shall take you in the carriage to Millcote, and you must choose some dresses for yourself. I told you we shall be married in four weeks. The wedding is to take place quietly, in the church down below yonder; and then I shall waft you away at once to town. After a brief stay there, I shall bear my treasure to regions nearer the sun: to French vineyards and Italian plains; and she shall see whatever is famous in old story and in modern record: she shall taste, too, of the life of cities; and she shall learn to value herself by just comparison with others.”

“Shall I travel?—and with you, sir?”

“You shall sojourn at Paris, Rome, and Naples: at Florence, Venice, and Vienna: all the ground I have wandered over shall be re-trodden by you: wherever I stamped my hoof, your sylph’s foot shall step also. Ten years since, I flew through Europe half mad; with disgust, hate, and rage as my companions: now I shall revisit it healed and cleansed, with a very angel as my comforter.”

“Of course I did. But to the point if you please, sir—Miss Ingram?”

“Well, I feigned courtship of Miss Ingram, because I wished to render you as madly in love with me as I was with you; and I knew jealousy would be the best ally I could call in for the furtherance of that end.”

“Excellent! Now you are small—not one whit bigger than the end of my little finger. It was a burning shame and a scandalous disgrace to act in that way. Did you think nothing of Miss Ingram’s feelings, sir?”

“Her feelings are concentrated in one—pride; and that needs humbling. Were you jealous, Jane?”

“Never mind, Mr. Rochester: it is in no way interesting to you to know that. Answer me truly once more. Do you think Miss Ingram will not suffer from your dishonest coquetry? Won’t she feel forsaken and deserted?”

“Impossible!—when I told you how she, on the contrary, deserted me: the idea of my insolvency cooled, or rather extinguished, her flame in a moment.”

“You have a curious, designing mind, Mr. Rochester. I am afraid your principles on some points are eccentric.”

“My principles were never trained, Jane: they may have grown a little awry for want of attention.”

“I only want an easy mind, sir; not crushed by crowded obligations. Do you remember what you said of Céline Varens?—of the diamonds, the cashmeres you gave her? I will not be your English Céline Varens. I shall continue to act as Adèle’s governess; by that I shall earn my board and lodging, and thirty pounds a year besides. I’ll furnish my own wardrobe out of that money, and you shall give me nothing but—”

[...]

“I want a smoke, Jane, or a pinch of snuff, to comfort me under all this, ‘pour me donner une contenance,’ as Adèle would say; and unfortunately I have neither my cigar-case, nor my snuff-box. But listen—whisper. It is your time now, little tyrant, but it will be mine presently; and when once I have fairly seized you, to have and to hold, I’ll just—figuratively speaking—attach you to a chain like this” (touching his watch-guard). “Yes, bonny wee thing, I’ll wear you in my bosom, lest my jewel I should tyne.”

[...]

"Yet after all my task was not an easy one; often I would rather have pleased than teased him. My future husband was becoming to me my whole world; and more than the world: almost my hope of heaven. He stood between me and every thought of religion, as an eclipse intervenes between man and the broad sun. I could not, in those days, see God for His creature: of whom I had made an idol."

Of course: I told you you should. I pass over the madness about parting from me. You mean you must become a part of me. As to the new existence, it is all right: you shall yet be my wife: I am not married. You shall be Mrs. Rochester—both virtually and nominally. I shall keep only to you so long as you and I live. You shall go to a place I have in the south of France: a whitewashed villa on the shores of the Mediterranean. There you shall live a happy, and guarded, and most innocent life. Never fear that I wish to lure you into error—to make you my mistress. Why did you shake your head? Jane, you must be reasonable, or in truth I shall again become frantic.”

I can understand why Jane's character may be interpreted in such a way. But I believe it was self preservation. Jane was a born survivor. Orphaned by both parents at an early age, then left to an aunt who depised her. Ridiculed by her cousins and treated like a burden, before eventually being sent to an educational institution. She must have developed an extremely thick skin.

Also again notice the era and its relationship to English custom. During those times England was far more reserved than it is in modern times.
Jane would have been aware of her social standing. An abandoned destitute orphan, living in sub standard conditions, susceptible to various diseases, e.g polio. She would've been extremely lucky to have survived childhood.

Jane used shear grit and determination to gain an education and work her way out of poverty. I admired her character. She was the epitome of both strength and dignity.

Mr Rochester was her boss. He employed and paid her wages. Jane would have been reserved due to the awareness of her position. She was deeply in love with Mr Rochester, however there was also a distinct age difference. He was well over a decade older than her 19 years and subsequently wiser.

Mr Rochester had suffered during his marriage. It was arranged for him by his father because his prospect came from an affluent family. (Hence creating a strong financial bond between both families) Mr Rochester was a much younger man at the time he entered into the union and felt entrapped. He married out of an obligation to adhere to the strict societal norms. There was no love.

Jane and Mr Rochester were drawn to each other because despite their superficial differences, they were fundamentally opposite sides of the same coin.

Awwww I just LOVE that book!
No, it wasn't. Not really. If it were up to him he would have married Jane and kept his first wife, Bertha, a secret. Or did you forget that a letter from Bertha's brother stops the wedding? And then, in following the typical condemnation of the mentally ill as the order of the day, Rochester likens his first wife to a demon in order to praise his would-be second.

He keeps trying to dress her up, like a doll, and cover her in jewels. He loves Jane, but at this point he does not respect her as his future spouse. It's only when he's lost her, and nearly loses his life after that, that Rochester realizes what a fool he has been. Oh, and let's not forget that he uses Miss Ingram to spur jealousy in Jane. That's hardly wise or kind. I do not condemn Mr. Rochester as evil, but he is selfish, hedonistic, posessive, and manipulative, and before his reform at the end of the book, he is not a good match for Jane. It's also worth noting that it is quite possible that he fathered Adèle out of wedlock with Celine Varens. (It's never confirmed, and she does not look like him, but it is still a possibility.)

Some important passages from the book:
I think they were right for each other. i wouldn't want to be close to either of them, but they were right for each other.

I'm not saying they're not. I was pointing out that up until the fire, Rochester is far from noble. Thematically speaking, it cleanses him of his baser tendencies.

I've studied the book indepth, and had the pleasure to read it repeatedly. Yes, I do remember the plot. I also understand the social/historical times it was set in, and take that into full consideration. It's a love story that can't be taken at face value.
As old Willy Shakespeare reasoned
... 'the course of true love never did run smooth' ;)
The prose it beautifully layered and intricate, creating an immensely interesting read. It will always be one of my favourite novels.

Yes, Mr Rochester is indeed a complex character, as is Jane. Charlotte Bronte wrote the story in an extremely intelligent fashion, matching the two main characters in a way that was not only relevant to her 'target audience', but also to the human condition. She explored both their strengths and weaknesses, and took the reader on a journey of discovery. Bronte created an absolute masterpiece!

Yes, Mr Rochester was flawed. He displays many undesirable traits. That is indeed his characters appeal. We as humans are all flawed...in one way or another. To be flawed is universal. Therefore the reader ought to relate.

There's nothing boring or predictable about this particular love story. It's both dark and mysterious in equal measure. That is possibly why Charlotte Bronte has gone down in history, for her valuable contribution to the world of literature.

I'm enjoying this thread. Thanks! :)

I've studied the book indepth, and had the pleasure to read it repeatedly. Yes, I do remember the plot. I also understand the social/historical times it was set in, and take that into full consideration. It's a love story that can't be taken at face value.
As old Willy Shakespeare reasoned
... 'the course of true love never did run smooth' ;)
So in other words, you've studied the book in-depth but aren't acknowledging my comments regarding Rochester's tunnel vision? 'Kay. Done with this thread for now. Thanks for the discussion.

House has a Meyers briggs personality type of INTJ. An Asperger with a Meyers briggs personality type of INTJ can be that cruel, cold and calculating and not feel any semblance of guilt, depending on the persons own morale code.

I am also an INTJ personality. I wouldn't describe myself as cruel, just practical. Lol.
I'm aware of how quickly emotions can change and always base my decisions based upon that. :)

New Threads

Top Bottom