• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Female : High Functioning Asperger >60 yr

DogzSpirit

Constantly evolving. Friends welcome.
V.I.P Member
Been around this Asperger's block, long before I knew the term.

It's a process of adapting and evolving around ones wiring, to make what I have benefit me.
If I had treated it as a disability then that would be the script.
If I treat this as a power, then I can source that energy.

It helped to have a great mentor, who fueled my belief in my uniqueness and supported my path. Thanks to that mentor and my wiring, I have broken through challenges that may have thrown me.

I like the clarity of speaking my mind, and so be it if it doesn't suit everyone.

Wondering if there are others, who found out much later in life, what exactly they had been fine tuning over the years. Would be interested in hearing of how others navigated this, particularly that of a screening process as to how it applies for potential connections/friendships. That is the chapter I am working on at this point, for that is the area which lack of insight, sabotages my efforts.

Hello. Potential connections/friendships and your post in general. Well I enjoyed your post. I could relate to it and I liked the part where you say "I like the clarity of speaking my mind". A screening process then.Well I try now to keep the word "nourish" in mind. Is this person/thing nourishing. If one doesn't feel nourished then I think that is a good way of screening.

I'm 65 and in much the same boat.

I do consider Asperger's a disability because it requires workarounds that most people don't need. In that sense, it is being in a low position on a Bell curve for a particular trait. Disabled is a relative term because relative to other people with worse problems, I may not seem disabled at all.

Put me on a basketball court and I'd more than just disabled. I'd be dysfunctional.

I did not have a mentor of any kind. More like derision and hostility. I had to develop my own philosophy of life over several decades of being bounced around by the jolts of life. As it turns out, people much wiser than I had reached the same conclusions. I've mentioned these before but I find the principles of Zen Buddhism, Stoicism, and Radical Acceptance all seem to dovetail with what I concluded and if I'd studied them earlier I might have saved myself some serious suffering.

My new favorite quote has been said in many ways but the Dalai Lama version is probably best, "Pain is inevitable: Suffering is optional."

Control the things you can control and don't worry about things you cannot. This has also been stated and restated in so many ways, yet most people cannot imagine not worrying and won't make the effort to stop. They apply instincts that are useful for hunter-gatherers on the Serengeti to 21st-century problems and it doesn't work well. You're in a perpetual fight or flight reflex and it wears on you. And it is a true effort to stop worrying and it may take years to learn and nobody ever perfects it.

As for relationships, I have had to learn to do by algorithm that which most people do instinctively. It is a logical understanding of human behavior rather than an intuitive one. The process is slower but you get better at it with time and being in a hurry has nothing to recommend it. I am far better at writing than I am at speaking.

People are attracted to happy people. (And certainly not people who are angry and bitter. It shows. That's part of my screening process. Happy people are being themselves.) If you are doing that which makes you happy, at our age that is often all it takes.

HI and welcome @DogzSpirit

There are folks in here who found out later in life.
I am over 60 too and found out less than 2 years ago.
It seems like everything I thought I knew about how things worked is wrong. It has not been an easy journey so far.

Communicationis quite an issue and I have not got that one cracked yet (ask my wife!)

Control the things you can control and don't worry about things you cannot. .

I do like a lot of Buddhist teachings but the idea that we autistic folk can choose not to worry about things completely misses the target. It simply doesn't apply because autism is a neurological condition. It is akin to telling an epileptic to choose not to have fits. We are somehow stuck in the flight/freeze response. Our brain isn't able to take its foot off of the gas. When I step outside my door my brain is overwhelmed. Everything comes rushing in like a Tsunami.

By the way, I recommend the Autistic Psychologist on YouTube who touches on this inability to filter the wheat from the chaff so to speak. And yes, I can do analogies.

welcome to af.png

Been around this Asperger's block, long before I knew the term.

It's a process of adapting and evolving around ones wiring, to make what I have benefit me.
If I had treated it as a disability then that would be the script.
If I treat this as a power, then I can source that energy.

It helped to have a great mentor, who fueled my belief in my uniqueness and supported my path. Thanks to that mentor and my wiring, I have broken through challenges that may have thrown me.

I like the clarity of speaking my mind, and so be it if it doesn't suit everyone.

Wondering if there are others, who found out much later in life, what exactly they had been fine tuning over the years. Would be interested in hearing of how others navigated this, particularly that of a screening process as to how it applies for potential connections/friendships. That is the chapter I am working on at this point, for that is the area which lack of insight, sabotages my efforts.
I was in a similar see my position as you, see my previous posts now retired

Welcome. Glad to find a woman over 60, as I am, who is high functioning. I have not been officially diagnosed but I suspect I am on the spectrum. I hope we can find a common ground of experiences.

Absolutely. Began my voyage of self-discovery when I was 55 to determine who- and what I really am neurologically speaking. Discovered this thing called "Aspergers Syndrome" by accident, watching a National Geographic tv program called "Taboo".

Welcome to AF.

Thank you for the many above welcomes, and insight offered.

It's been a long path of discovery, and experiences for me, which led to this self diagnosis. Prior to such, I thought it might be an ADD diagnosis, for many of that pattern overlaps and gives off false flags.

That said, I do not share this with others. It took a lot for me to understand what this is and isn't. I attempted to share information on my being an Aspie, and it proved to be a disadvantage. I no longer feel the need to educate others, and be faced with the debate, stigma, and lost energy in doing so. It's a very private thing for me, to be shared with only those who are closest to me, who have a mutually supportive outlook.

@Au Naturel...As far as dexterity goes... It took me close to a year to learn how to move on the dance floor, and thank goodness a strong smooth lead, lets me live the fantasy of being smooth and looking seasoned. Yeah it was worth the year's effort. I too like the Buddhist teachings... and yes, that said: Worry is inevitable. The pain/discomfort of life is inevitable. Sometimes controlling (my) response to the many concerns or rejection, is impossible. How many of you internalize those emotions? I internalize, so the majority will not even know of my response.

Remember: No one gets out of here unscathed, neuro-typicals/NT included. I remind myself, those whom are least accepting of ATypical wiring, are often challenged, result of their childhood. Though NT, they are far from normal.
NT or Atypical does not infer that a person is normal in my book, not by my definition at least!

I in accepting others where they are, often open myself up for disappointment. I have concluded, that must change. At this point I have maxed out on my evolvement in regards to communication. I must be met where I am, and for who I am, not despite who I am!

My focus is choosing healthy connections. I am not 'necessarily' trying to dig in to change my communication style. If I learn extra skills, wonderful. I am not seeking perfection from myself, and even those who are so called normal, don't have to hold themselves to that super human standard? It serves no purpose.

I offer a hell of a lot of space for people to come as is. I expect that in return. And for yes, nourishment (@Giant Hogweed), now more than ever. Thus, I am shifting gears, looking for friends in atypical places, for guess what... Those NT are just too much work, with too little return. Sadly, I have realized, Some NT have even have a subconscious agenda, in finding themselves attracted to me. That is unfortunate. When that happens they are in for a surprise, as I don't buy into self-deprecation. In response; I've been told many a time, that I am far too forgiving of myself. I believe that is a very important learned skill, to appreciate one's worth. We often give that to others, before we offer this too ourselves?

@Alexej We all have communication missteps. MY communication challenges, shouldn't require I take FULL responsibility for those stumbles. Communication is a two way street. Let's remember that. In the past, such ownership has often let the other person off the hook, with them pointing the finger at me. Blame does not make for great communication lol. Communication takes two. If that makes sense. I've had that card used often against me, all the while knowing that what I said did make sense.

@Martha Ferris Likewise... Wonderful to meet another woman who has also stumbled upon this defining component of Aspergers. Until one does, they never quite feel that calm of this ah ha moment. I am looking forward to sharing with you and others. I view meeting others of this wiring as such: It's an opportunity for a full out Atypical no need to walk on eggshells experience.

Again thank you for all who welcomed me.

Last edited:
That said, I do not share this with others. It took a lot for me to understand what this is and isn't. I attempted to share information on my being an Aspie, and it proved to be a disadvantage.

Wise decision.

If you dig a bit inside so many threads here, you'll find how many times we repeat how important it is to expose your autism on a "need-to-know" basis only.

How so many of us have discovered this the hard way through bitter disappointment of those we thought were closest to us. It can be heartbreaking at times.

Great to see you at this site.

You mentioned you broke thru challenges on your journey and that makes you a success story.

Like reading about people's success stories here. It tells me l have a shot at that mountain top.

Welcome to the tribe. Tattoos are optional.

Welcome. I was not diagnosed untol into my 60s and even now I am getting counseling for issues I thought were buried in my late 20s.

My workarounds for the social/sexual isolation I felt came when I reached an extreme level of frustration and so started to rewrite my internal dialogue to one where I am interesting and worthwhile. It worked only so far and I still step on land mines left over.

I think my frienships happened as I improved my self image by stretching my activities out from my comfort zone, doing things I never thought of as accessible to me such as SCUBA and Whitewater Open Canoe. As a result I not only made and kept friends from Sierra Club outings, but also met my spouse. Many of those friends seem to have habits that seem on the spectrum (and many are engineers), but more importantly we tolerate each other's quirks and support each other. That trust means we are all comfortable in activities that require skill to be physically safe because we look out for each other. Just yesterday I helped a friend stay safe when he took an "unscheduled" swim break negotiating a tricky part of the river we were paddling on.

@Gerald Wilgus It certainly seems key to find others who fall into atypical, or are less restrictive in their expectations of their friends wiring. A good example may be that of your Sierra friends.

The ability to appreciate uniqueness of each friend/person, and not expect societies standard to apply, is a qualifying point for my considering friendship with an individual.

That is not to say a person cannot evolved from being narrow minded to that of a more inclusive perspective. However, it's a gamble with (my) time/energy to attempt to convert someone's mindset.

I agree one must venture out and meet people. I've done that. I've even headed up recreational pursuit groups, in order (yes I admit to this) to be in control of creating a setting which accommodates my wiring. I enjoy organizing, and setting the rules for a more 'inclusivity' which other groups lacked. Even the shy, who walked in "the door" to my events, left amazed at how "included" they were... like coming home.

I may do so again, after the Covid crisis lifts, in order to meet others who are 'Atypical' maybe an Aspie Recreational Group... hmmm.

This strategy is a pattern throughout my lifetime, time and time again. I have often organized a social setting/group, which opened the door to my social acceptance. As a child (early elementary school age) I organized a stray animals welfare group, called The Cat Club. Suddenly, many the neighborhood kids wanted to associate with me. And, all for a good cause!

I wonder how many Aspies have sought out interaction along those lines, or by becoming self employed?

New Threads

Top Bottom