• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Female : High Functioning Asperger >60 yr

If you're in your 60s today, high-functioning autism/Asperger's wasn't even on anyone's radar until the last couple of decades. Only people in large urban areas with access to the best-informed psychologists (i.e. money) would ever get the diagnosis. If nobody looks for it, it usually doesn't get found.

I'd never met a psychologist until my mid-20s and she totally missed it. I talked to various counselors and therapists over the years and none of them raised the possibility. Wasn't anything they'd been taught in school. Everything was all about working out childhood trauma and handing out Prozac.

The Prozac helped the depression but I'd long since shook off the abuse and put it behind me. Not relevant and wasted time to pursue it.

Oh yeah. They’re still doing the trauma-pills routine. Had a fair bit of that. I had to fight the urge to lie about it because it ends up being the permanent focus.

New Threads

Top Bottom