• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Favourite words!

Racecar (Spell it backwards)

Book

Science

Conscience

Phoenix

Electronic Photon Generator (Lightbulb) Not a word but a phrase I know but I find it amusing

Overwhelmed, overwhelming ... I like words in general, just like numbers, but "overwhelming" has come to mind. It feels like "h" really want to be pronounced, and in reality word "whelm" is possibly related to "helmet", so, I guess, it makes sense :) if you take away "w" you'll get overhelmed, like somebody put too many helmets on :) had best intentions but ended up making everything worse :) I want to say, "come on, cheer up, don't over-helmet it" :) also can be compared with over-thinking, sort of, putting one thought on top of another unnecessary :) ok, I'm done :)

I didn't include this in my post above, but something that intrigues me is sometimes, though not often, some words, though none in particular, when saying them, just don't seem to register and I'll say them over and over and they just don't seem to register in my brain. Hard to explain really. But kind of like they just sound like a random noise instead of having a meaning to them. Still this descripton doesn't get at the whole point, really hard to explain. Anyone else experience this if you get what I'm trying to get at?

Edit: Disregard this posting. I just realized it will derail the thread. Sorry.

Last edited:
I didn't include this in my post above, but something that intrigues me is sometimes, though not often, some words, though none in particular, when saying them, just don't seem to register and I'll say them over and over and they just don't seem to register in my brain. Hard to explain really. But kind of like they just sound like a random noise instead of having a meaning to them. Still this descripton doesn't get at the whole point, really hard to explain. Anyone else experience this if you get what I'm trying to get at?

Edit: Disregard this posting. I just realized it will derail the thread. Sorry.

I'm not sure what you mean exactly, but, to me, some words seem a little flat, they don't sing, don't jingle, don't ding. They just sort of fall on your ear like a sack of potatoes falling on the ground. I know, my descriptions are a little out there, I'm doing the best I can :) there're also other words that don't inspire any imaginative play, therefore they seem meaningless... But...you might have meant something else

Again I don't wish to derail the thread but...

In reading what I wrote, it sounds more extreme than what I mean, it almost like I'm describing a dementia like experience. LOL Not what I meant to try to explain.
I understand the word, know it's meaning and if someone spoke it to me I would understand, but sometimes I'll say a word and it seems to sound like a strange language, or just a sound rather than a word and as I say it over and over it loses even more of it's familiarity.

I have quite a few, but some of my favorites are as follows (in no particular order of course):

- Exacerbate
- Imbecile
- Ignoramus
- Joy
- Peace
- Quagmire

I could go on and on if I could...

Again I don't wish to derail the thread but...

In reading what I wrote, it sounds more extreme than what I mean, it almost like I'm describing a dementia like experience. LOL Not what I meant to try to explain.
I understand the word, know it's meaning and if someone spoke it to me I would understand, but sometimes I'll say a word and it seems to sound like a strange language, or just a sound rather than a word and as I say it over and over it loses even more of it's familiarity.

I know what you mean. It's usually those monosyllabic Anglo-Saxon words that lose their meaning if repeated enough times. What is it about f-o-o-d that really means something that you eat to sustain you? Why couldn't it have been "fod" or "fud" or why couldn't it rhyme with "hood" instead of "mood"?

Whereas polysyllabic words like "ostentatious" and "supercilious" - one my favourites - just exudes that showy, superior quality with the flowery "-ous" prefix and their morphological complexity.

I also love words like "flabbergasted," "ramshackle" and "lily-livered" because they're decorated with so many phonemes.

To be succinct I'd like to get to the epitome of this thread... ;) Not in a dichotomous manner, of course not...no...never.
There is a plethora of words I like; I jes mentioned a few of em...

Eh me Pirates...

Plethora
Enrapture
Malaise
Epiphany
Mahogany
Consummation
Anima
Vacuous
Venusian
Capricious
Sylph
Oblivion
Melancholy

I love the world plethora but haven't used it in a bit. Epiphany-I had one of those at the end of a pool stick! :-o Great word. Consummation-great word for a marriage uhm I mean couple... ;)

Plethora
Enrapture
Malaise
Epiphany
Mahogany
Consummation
Anima
Vacuous
Venusian
Capricious
Sylph
Oblivion
Melancholy

I love the world plethora but haven't used it in a bit. Epiphany-I had one of those at the end of a pool stick! :-o Great word. Consummation-great word for a marriage uhm I mean couple... ;)
Actually it has a deeper meaning than what we typically think of... It means completion, perfection, fulfillment.

New Threads

Top Bottom