• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Exhaustion from every day activities

Ttianana

For a long time I thought that this was something that generally everyone felt, or that yes, I'm more tired than everyone, but I could attribute it to bad health. I'm a rather healthy person though, and have been tested for things like diabetes and even cancer, anything that would explain my constant state of exhaustion. Now I'm wondering if other people with Aspergers feel this way.
I'm constantly tired. It's just a natural state. Some days i'm too tired to do anything, those are usually because of late nights or loud roomates. But some days I wake up with enough energy to do something and get productive stuff done. My problem is that I can only get ONE productive thing done. Doing the dishes and cleaning the kitchen/ cooking myself a proper meal / doing the laundry / writing an essay for school / doing errands downtown / going to work. I can only pick one thing and organize my head around how i'm going to do said thing. I'll get said thing done, but by the time i'm finished i'm so exhausted I can't move or think. Things that require more stimulus, like organizing my room, grocery stores with bright lights and too many labels to read and memorizing things at work exhaust me most. I either have to sit and mindlessly scroll my phone or put on the tv. I've always thought i'm a really lazy person but I've started to realize complete exhaustion is different than laziness. I didn't realize that this was so weird until I excitedly explained my new essay writing tactic, where I take naps every time my brain gets too tired to write and that it's helped me manage to finish an essay in a day instead of having to switch to tv. They didn't seem to understand and asked why i didn't just go for a walk and clean the house for a brain break. I had to explain that would be it's own entire thing and that I would have no more energy to write and they thought it was really strange. Anyways, thoughts? I might perhaps have some strange disease zapping all my energy but i'd be happy to know if other Aspies experience this.

I've been having trouble with this lately as well. Last week I went to the doctor and had some blood work done, and we've ruled out anemia, diabetes, hypoglycemia, and thyroid malfunction. I also have persistent headaches and dizziness which no treatment has helped, so up next for me is an MRI to see what's rattling around up there.

It's funny, I do fairly often feel just tired when I literally haven't done a thing, and going places feels like it takes more energy that it should. I haven't been tested for diabetes insipidus though I have been passing a lot of water which I'm on a medication to stop that - which does work half of the time. I didn't honestly know that was a symptom caused by diabetes, I might have to follow up on this with my GP again.

I can only focus on one thing at a time. When I am doing this thing, whatever it might be, I cannot be distracted. I get tired after I do it. I call it hyperfocusing. It is like my world narrows down to the one activity. This is great when I am working and hyperfocus on my tasks. This is not so great when i hyperfocus on cleaning the dishes and I am worn out afterwards. I do not know if this is actually a symptom of Asperger's. I know that hyperfocus is not legitimate terminology. However, that is exactly what I do.

Just another little not about hyperfocusing, the word multitask does not exist in my world. Whatever I am concentrating on, is what will have my attention. People have tried to tell me other tasks or talk to me while hyperfocused and I have not remembered them speaking to me. My world is like a camera lens. When I am not doing something, lights, noise and all kinds of stimuli get in. This exhausts me because my brain has to process it. Hyperfocusing exhausts me because I am concentrating so hard that everything else fades away. It is very hard for my brain to shut out background noise and it wears me out.

I haven't looked into it but anecdotally I find that other female autistics tend to get exhausted easily from the effort of social interaction and other mental tasks. (Sorry, male autistics, I don't want to speak for you. :) ) Some of us are good at being organised but others find it utterly taxing. It has also been suggested that gluten sensitivity is often found in the autistic population, and this would contribute to physical sluggishness.

After catching a serious virus in winter (pneumonia or pertussis... I never found out precisely what it was because by the time I went to the doc I'd been ill for six weeks and there was no trace of the original cause left in me) I still haven't recovered. Now it's summer... The original symptoms are gone. Two months ago the doc diagnosed me with post viral fatigue syndrome, aka chronic fatigue syndrome aka myalgic encephalomyelitis. At first I could barely walk but I'm walking now, albeit not fast. Some days I feel ok-ish but most days I'm totally flat and spend 85% of my time in bed. Even driving the car is tiring. When I'm really bad I collapse, and at its worst my body won't obey my commands...like it is protesting. Other symptoms of ME that I'm living with are palpitations, dizziness, muscle weakness, muscle and joint aches and pains, trembling and spasms (when I'm completely exhausted), unexplained nausea, intolerance of temperature changes, sweats and chills, worse than usual sensory sensitivity, headaches and terrible cognitive functioning. Before I knew that I had ME I honestly thought I might be getting early onset dementia because my brain just isn't working properly...

I don't know if any of the symptoms I listed ring true for you, Ttianana (or anyone else reading this), but it might be worth looking into.

Also, following as healthy a diet as you can will always help. Avoid stimulants like caffeine, and alcohol. Avoid sugar. Avoid anything that will interfere with your body's natural functions. Eat more vegetables than you think it's possible to eat. Eat them in smoothies and salads. I feel better when I eat mostly veg and little else.

Depression and burnout can also cause these symptoms, that might be worth looking into, too.

New Threads

Top Bottom