• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Echolalia.

Im sorry im truly sorry for having it i cant help it i try i try best to help it im crying now im sorry.

I want them to go away and leave me alone.

Where do you encounter them? Are they in your home? Neighbors who know you? Who are they? If you can shed some light on who they are and where you see them, then maybe people here will have some good suggestions about how to handle them.

I, personally, would probably beat the crap out of them, or at least try to, but I don't recommend you do that!

My brother keeps saying "hey kitty kitty kitty kitttty" to call for the family cat , but he kind says it like if you heard it from a snake...

He will repeat it over and over, some times it drives me crazy and i have to leave, but no one should ever attack you for being you.

I repeat things all the time. If i'm around people it's more of a whisper, if I'm on my own it can be quite loud and energetic.

I also do this in conversation if I'm in the middle of doing something. Someone says something to me and I involuntarily start repeating what they said, in my own words. But, as I'm already doing something else, my verbal repetition is slow and spaced out and often leads to a half finished sentence. I suppose the repetition in those cases is to try and take in what was being said whilst my mind is elsewhere.

Ed

Echolalia: Causes, Symptoms, Types, Diagnosis, and Treatment
Description of various types of echolalia...

"In the past, echolalia was regarded as negative, non-functional behavior. However, researchers such as Barry Prizant and colleagues have emphasized the communicative function of echolalia. Among the communicative functions noted are turntaking, requesting, self-regulation and rehearsal to aid comprehension..."
Echolalia - Wikipedia

https://otsimo.com/en/echolalia-autism-spectrum/
TLDR
Directed practice may reduce the degree of repetition.

"...using phrases and words to self-calm is always a better alternative to problem behaviors.

This means that it would not be a great idea to eliminate echolalia altogether as it serves a purpose."

Maybe echolalia also serves as a type of stem. It "self-calms" as Tree noted above. Is it possible to substitute another less obvious behavior to reduce echolalia when you are around other people?

People throwing rocks at you constitutes the criminal act of assault. If a rock actually hits you, then it is assault and battery. I'd call the police if someone did that to me. Please try to avoid them. They are lowlife, bottom feeders and you are so much smarter than they are!

If I'm not mistaken, technically repeating the same phrase or word that you say yourself isn't echolalia; it's called palilalia. Echolalia is repeating/"echoing" what someone else says.

Echolalia: Person 1: "Did you have a good day today?" Person 2: "Did you have a good day today?" or "A good day today?" Person 2 exhibits echolalia.

Palilalia: Person 1 speaking out loud: "I love it when it rains. I love it when it rains." or "I love it when it rains; when it rains." or "I love it when it rains. Rains....rains......rains.....rains...rains."

I exhibit a version of echolalia.

If I'm going to take the dog outside and I'm approaching the dog and my wife says: "Our dog really likes carrots." I'll look at the dog and say: "Come on, carrots." His name is not carrots.

More often, I exhibit palilalia because I often talk to myself out loud, for example when I'm taking a walk.

"It's been a really hard day today. Really hard day today."

I agree, it's not good to eliminate echolalia. I see it in myself, trying to restrict it puts me in a state of
If I'm not mistaken, technically repeating the same phrase or word that you say yourself isn't echolalia; it's called palilalia. Echolalia is repeating/"echoing" what someone else says.

Echolalia: Person 1: "Did you have a good day today?" Person 2: "Did you have a good day today?" or "A good day today?" Person 2 exhibits echolalia.

Palilalia: Person 1 speaking out loud: "I love it when it rains. I love it when it rains." or "I love it when it rains; when it rains." or "I love it when it rains. Rains....rains......rains.....rains...rains."

I exhibit a version of echolalia.

If I'm going to take the dog outside and I'm approaching the dog and my wife says: "Our dog really likes carrots." I'll look at the dog and say: "Come on, carrots." His name is not carrots.

More often, I exhibit palilalia because I often talk to myself out loud, for example when I'm taking a walk.

"It's been a really hard day today. Really hard day today."

Thanks for the info, I didn't know the difference. I do stuffs like "come on, carrots" (not that one though, but the same type of repetition). I didn't know that was echolalia as well, I thought that was "normal" speech. That might be why it makes people laugh :D

I mimic sound effects, animal sounds, instrumental music, onomatopoeia, etc. and it's especially prevalent if I'm with another person and trying to fill the anxious void of silence. I seldom speak but sometimes feel the urge to contribute a sound. I also make up silly lyrics for tunes I've heard on the radio or on tv adverts.

^ So much of my thinking is tied to music. If someone says a word or a phrase found in a song, I instantly think of that song. Then my urge to sing that word or phrase of the song is nearly unstoppable. A lot of times they're songs I don't like.

Yesterday my wife said the words "straight up" in a sentence and I sang: "Straight up now tell me.." from a Paula Abdul song.

Also yesterday she said "All by myself" in a sentence so I sang the words "All by myself" from an Eric Carmen song.

It bugs my wife when I do that because the songs can get stuck in her head like they get stuck in my head.

+1 ^

Yes, exactly. I keep hearing people talk about 'thought police' lately, and as a result I've had Cheap Trick's 'Dream Police' in my head for a good week, and I do all the instrumental bits out loud with echolalia. I especially mimic the guitar when it does the "eve - ry night they're ..." melody with four beats. I sing a mean guitar!

I repeat things all the time. If i'm around people it's more of a whisper, if I'm on my own it can be quite loud and energetic.

I used to repeat myself to other people.
These days I pretty much don't mix with people in real life, so I don't know if I still do it.

I *enjoy* looped thoughts, though.

My problem is that I want to repeat certain things strangers say. Does anyone else have that problem? It's a problem because the person would not like it if they heard you mimic them even if the voice is neutral. It's terribly uncomfortable to refrain from doing so or even just to delay doing so. :eek:

And to clarify, I mean repeat things I overhear other people say, not people I'm talking to.

Last edited:
Where do you encounter them? Are they in your home? Neighbors who know you? Who are they? If you can shed some light on who they are and where you see them, then maybe people here will have some good suggestions about how to handle them.

I, personally, would probably beat the crap out of them, or at least try to, but I don't recommend you do that!
They live in my neighborhood and harrass me when i go for a walk and throw rocks at me at times and call me a freak. Its ok im prepared this time in case they want hurt me. I got a can of mace filled with mad dog 357 plutonium extract they wont bother me no more.

Ukulele?

upload_2020-7-25_20-44-27.jpeg

They live in my neighborhood and harrass me when i go for a walk and throw rocks at me at times and call me a freak. Its ok im prepared this time in case they want hurt me. I got a can of mace filled with mad dog 357 plutonium extract they wont bother me no more.

What in the Sam Hill is their problem???

New Threads

Top Bottom