1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Featured Echolalia.

Discussion in 'General Autism Discussion' started by AspieOtaku, Jul 25, 2020.

1. Kalinychta

Kalinychta Well-Known Member

Maybe there’s a parrot in your family tree somewhere whose genes you inherited.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. HeroOfHyrule

HeroOfHyrule Chicken Chaser

I repeat a lot of phrases I've heard from other people and in games a lot, and I also mimic the sounds animals make which I do more often. When I was a kid there was a point where I would just repeat dialogue from the villagers in Animal Crossing and stuff from commercials all the time.

3. AprilR

AprilR Active Member

I like to repeat certain sentences like" my cat is so fat! I would ask my dad" How is he? (The cat) "and he Will answer "fat"
    I am not sure if this is a type of echolalia, but i like to say these things and go back in forth with my dad who also likes it. We have this same convo nearly every day.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. AspieOtaku

AspieOtaku Leader of the otaku legion!

Bright side of having echolalia is i repeat speakers who speak forein languages and repeat and learn the languages like Japanese and Mandarin and speak back with a native accent. Sometimes watching anime subs i like to say Yosh and shikashi!! A favorite word i like saying is Ikibukuro.Yosh means lets go, shikashi means however.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. AspieOtaku

Just ignorant immature thugs that live down the street, they dont bother me when i drive but if i walk by they make fun of me and threaten to hurt me and throw rocks at me and call me rain man or retard.its ok if they jump me like they threatened me to i can call the police and they spend a long time in prison for a hate crime.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. HeroOfHyrule

HeroOfHyrule Chicken Chaser

Echolalia has made it easier for me to learn languages. I started learning Norwegian and Japanese partly because I liked repeating words from those languages, plus doing so makes it so I can pronounce things easily. lol

• Like Like x 1
  7. AspieOtaku

In a way its a gift i get curious and copy languages i become a polyglot at times without meaning to.

• Like Like x 1
  8. AspieOtaku

• Like Like x 1
  9. AspieOtaku

Aww such a cute song it made my heart soft.

• Like Like x 2
  10. AspieOtaku

Speaking of Lolipop awww.On the good ship Lolipop!

• Like Like x 2
  11. AspieOtaku

Dangit now im saying lolipop ack its ok awww.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. AspieOtaku

I have both, i repeat what others say and whats on my mind almost involuntarily, i also talk to myself and repeat things to myself over and over again. I repeat what others say i listen and say what they say too i cant help it i try but i cant. at least i try though i dont like society keeping me down i try my best so they dont but sometimes trying isnt enough.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Au Naturel

Au Naturel Au Naturel

You have a potential career os a children's author. Dr. Seus would be proud!

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Au Naturel

Au Naturel Au Naturel

Sounds like a certain kid I knew in school. He would go way out of his way just to be in position to torture me.

15. Au Naturel

Au Naturel Au Naturel

When I get depressed, I have a problem of saying "I hate my life!" over and over. I've managed to keep it to myself. People would not react well if they heard it.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. AprilR

AprilR Active Member

Lmao my dad (as i do) loves the movie "The cat in the hat" :D

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
  17. Mister Anonymity

Mister Anonymity Active Member

When I'm talking to people, whether it's my health worker or my teacher from college, I often to have to repeat stuff to myself or to them in order for it to sink in. I have to repeat myself twenty or thirty times before it sinks in. I can relate. My teacher in psychology class got fed up with me. My health worker doesn't mind, but my mom gets a bit fed up and irritated. She warns me never to repeat myself to other people in the community or they will reject me harshly or verbally assault me. I'm not sure if it's echolalia, but it might come close.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. Mister Anonymity

Mister Anonymity Active Member

When I get stressed, I often have to repeat stuff to myself, certain words or phrases. I have panic attacks, so I end up repeating stuff just to calm myself down.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. dragonfire42

dragonfire42 Perpetual outsider

I do the same sort of thing, but I keep it mostly in my head. I will almost always repeat any sentence I hear once before moving on to the next, and so on. I usually get “stuck” on some phrase, often the last one I or another person said. Sometimes I have to mouth or whisper the words instead of just thinking them, but usually I don’t actually say them out loud. Not sure if this qualifies as echolalia or not if I don’t often actually say anything.

20. AspieOtaku

Lolipop anyone? Hehe.

• Like Like x 1