• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Echolalia.

My problem is that I want to repeat certain things strangers say. Does anyone else have that problem? It's a problem because the person would not like it if they heard you mimic them even if the voice is neutral. It's terribly uncomfortable to refrain from doing so or even just to delay doing so. :eek:

And to clarify, I mean repeat things I overhear other people say, not people I'm talking to.

Maybe there’s a parrot in your family tree somewhere whose genes you inherited.

I repeat a lot of phrases I've heard from other people and in games a lot, and I also mimic the sounds animals make which I do more often. When I was a kid there was a point where I would just repeat dialogue from the villagers in Animal Crossing and stuff from commercials all the time.

I like to repeat certain sentences like" my cat is so fat! I would ask my dad" How is he? (The cat) "and he Will answer "fat"
I am not sure if this is a type of echolalia, but i like to say these things and go back in forth with my dad who also likes it. We have this same convo nearly every day.

Bright side of having echolalia is i repeat speakers who speak forein languages and repeat and learn the languages like Japanese and Mandarin and speak back with a native accent. Sometimes watching anime subs i like to say Yosh and shikashi!! A favorite word i like saying is Ikibukuro.Yosh means lets go, shikashi means however.

What in the Sam Hill is their problem???
Just ignorant immature thugs that live down the street, they dont bother me when i drive but if i walk by they make fun of me and threaten to hurt me and throw rocks at me and call me rain man or retard.its ok if they jump me like they threatened me to i can call the police and they spend a long time in prison for a hate crime.

Bright side of having echolalia is i repeat speakers who speak forein languages and repeat and learn the languages like Japanese and Mandarin and speak back with a native accent. Sometimes watching anime subs i like to say Yosh and shikashi!! A favorite word i like saying is Ikibukuro.Yosh means lets go, shikashi means however.
Echolalia has made it easier for me to learn languages. I started learning Norwegian and Japanese partly because I liked repeating words from those languages, plus doing so makes it so I can pronounce things easily. lol

Echolalia has made it easier for me to learn languages. I started learning Norwegian and Japanese partly because I liked repeating words from those languages, plus doing so makes it so I can pronounce things easily. lol
In a way its a gift i get curious and copy languages i become a polyglot at times without meaning to.

If I'm not mistaken, technically repeating the same phrase or word that you say yourself isn't echolalia; it's called palilalia. Echolalia is repeating/"echoing" what someone else says.

Echolalia: Person 1: "Did you have a good day today?" Person 2: "Did you have a good day today?" or "A good day today?" Person 2 exhibits echolalia.

Palilalia: Person 1 speaking out loud: "I love it when it rains. I love it when it rains." or "I love it when it rains; when it rains." or "I love it when it rains. Rains....rains......rains.....rains...rains."

I exhibit a version of echolalia.

If I'm going to take the dog outside and I'm approaching the dog and my wife says: "Our dog really likes carrots." I'll look at the dog and say: "Come on, carrots." His name is not carrots.

More often, I exhibit palilalia because I often talk to myself out loud, for example when I'm taking a walk.

"It's been a really hard day today. Really hard day today."
I have both, i repeat what others say and whats on my mind almost involuntarily, i also talk to myself and repeat things to myself over and over again. I repeat what others say i listen and say what they say too i cant help it i try but i cant. at least i try though i dont like society keeping me down i try my best so they dont but sometimes trying isnt enough.

I like to repeat certain sentences like" my cat is so fat! I would ask my dad" How is he? (The cat) "and he Will answer "fat"
I am not sure if this is a type of echolalia, but i like to say these things and go back in forth with my dad who also likes it. We have this same convo nearly every day.

You have a potential career os a children's author. Dr. Seus would be proud!

When I get depressed, I have a problem of saying "I hate my life!" over and over. I've managed to keep it to myself. People would not react well if they heard it.

I have echolalia as well. Hopefully it's in my mind most of the time, unless I'm in a high level of stress or alone. I count until 8 since I'm a kid when I'm stressed, that's the one which is the most common in me. 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8, continuously.
I also mimic noises and repeat sentences/poems/movie dialogues.
I also repeat in my mind what someone just said (completely involuntarily, I don't even know it happens when it does, it's like a reflex) it helps me understand it and then find the answer, but hopefully it stays in my mind, people just see a lag between their sentence and my answer. That makes me look a bit weird I guess (some people believe I'm stupid easily because of this "lag"), but they don't know there's an echolalia in my mind. For me it's not necessarily connected to the sounds I will produce with my mouth, although the more stress there is the less I'm able to maintain this image.

I agree with your last point, it is involuntary, it just happens. It's not exactly something you're doing on purpose.

When I'm talking to people, whether it's my health worker or my teacher from college, I often to have to repeat stuff to myself or to them in order for it to sink in. I have to repeat myself twenty or thirty times before it sinks in. I can relate. My teacher in psychology class got fed up with me. My health worker doesn't mind, but my mom gets a bit fed up and irritated. She warns me never to repeat myself to other people in the community or they will reject me harshly or verbally assault me. I'm not sure if it's echolalia, but it might come close.

When I get stressed, I often have to repeat stuff to myself, certain words or phrases. I have panic attacks, so I end up repeating stuff just to calm myself down.

I do the same sort of thing, but I keep it mostly in my head. I will almost always repeat any sentence I hear once before moving on to the next, and so on. I usually get “stuck” on some phrase, often the last one I or another person said. Sometimes I have to mouth or whisper the words instead of just thinking them, but usually I don’t actually say them out loud. Not sure if this qualifies as echolalia or not if I don’t often actually say anything.

New Threads

Top Bottom