• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Echolalia.

AspieOtaku

Leader of the otaku legion!
I tend to repeat things to myself over and over again out of random like say two more days till pay day even after payday has passed. Any other echolalians out there? I hope im not alone i guess im a weirdo that reapeats things if i am i just repeat phrases like that almost involuntarily and im sorry i cant help it i try to stop but i cant.

We are two, AspieOtaku. :D I've been repeating the word Lollipop over and over again during the last days. I try to embrace it and have a fun time.

So im not alone thats a relief i know people with tourettes the same way at times just hoping im not alone when repeat things like that. I am sorry for repeating things i try to help it but cant. It makes me sad sometimes, i try hard not to repeat things but its almost involuntary.

I have echolalia as well. Hopefully it's in my mind most of the time, unless I'm in a high level of stress or alone. I count until 8 since I'm a kid when I'm stressed, that's the one which is the most common in me. 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8, continuously.
I also mimic noises and repeat sentences/poems/movie dialogues.
I also repeat in my mind what someone just said (completely involuntarily, I don't even know it happens when it does, it's like a reflex) it helps me understand it and then find the answer, but hopefully it stays in my mind, people just see a lag between their sentence and my answer. That makes me look a bit weird I guess (some people believe I'm stupid easily because of this "lag"), but they don't know there's an echolalia in my mind. For me it's not necessarily connected to the sounds I will produce with my mouth, although the more stress there is the less I'm able to maintain this image.

I agree with your last point, it is involuntary, it just happens. It's not exactly something you're doing on purpose.

Don't be sorry AspieOtaku. It's ok. You're not harming anyone. Do you like songs and repeat them?
Yes i do i dont mean to be repetative i play em over and over again, it annoys other people at times im truly sorry. I play this song over and over again it cheers me up and gets me in a good mood and helps me fight depression. I get very sad.

Sometimes people pick on me and bully me for repeating things over and over again i dont mean to they get annoyed and want to beat me up i get sad at times over what i cant help i apologize each time i dont mean to annoy others by being repetetive.

I also mimic noises and repeat sentences/poems/movie dialogues.

As do i ALL the time

Sometimes people pick on me and bully me for repeating things over and over again i dont mean to they get annoyed and want to beat me up i get sad at times over what i cant help i apologize each time i dont mean to annoy others by being repetetive.

First of all DONT blame youre self my friend you cant help it .

Second If people are beginning to bully you if you can walk away my friend.

And you are NOT alone my friend (HUGS )

Last edited:
I mimic alot people call me a parrot i dont mean to im sorry.

You are how you am my friend and there is NO reason that you should have to feel youre sorry for just being you . I`l be darned if i will apologize for being me to anyone. Either accept me as i am or we can just go our separate ways simple as that.

Depending on how old you are, your brain is still forming. It's fine. You will evolve slowly through the years. What ignorant people think about it doesn't change your self worth.

I don't know how old you are, but when I was younger I was repeating more things in inappropriate situations. It changed slowly as I learned. It takes time and other processes than other people, you don't need to apologize for that.

I also used to mimic people like a parrot as a teen because I didn't know how to respond to them. So I was trying to do the same than what I saw them doing. As time passed I just got used to categorize social situations differently and have a better understanding of them and more social skills to answer to those situations. But it's a long process, it takes a life time. It's fine and actually good if you're repeating what you hear and try to use it in social situations, although it seems weird or annoying and it's difficult to understand for an outsider. For me being a parrot was a huge part of learning how to relate to others and express myself verbally better on the long run. I was extremely clumsy and odd, but I had no other way. Honestly it's fine.

Last edited:
I copy i repeat i dont mean to make fun im sorry not intentional i copy involuntarily it is what it is and im sorry i cannot help it i try im sorry dont hurt me.

Repeat things over and over again people beat me up im sorry dont mean to they still hurt me.i try and explain they dont understand, they beat me up even after i apologize what i cant help.

Im sorry for having Echolalia i cant help it dont hurt me.Im sorry im very sorry i cannot help it. Im sorry dont hurt me or kill me im sorry i beg thode not to kill me my repeats are involuntary. Some day somebody might shoot me or try to for being me but i will apologize and plead not to shoot me, if it happens it does then im dead.

Im 37 years old and still repeat and have echolalia im sorry i try my best to help it for society but cant it makes me sad.

I have echolallia i cant help it im not hurting anyone im truly sorry im 37 still have it people want to hurt me i want em to leave me alone, im sorry for what i cant help, i try i try hard im truly sorry. Im crying dont hurt me please im sorry.

Im sorry for having echolalia i cant help it i try real hard to control it but cant im truly sorry it makes me sad and people want to beat me up for it.

Last edited:
My nephew has echolalia, too. He is now about 30 years old and still repeats what he hears. He also has an uncanny ability to mimic how other people's voices sound. I've posted here before that when he was a child, he communicated with others by repeating dialogue from TV shows, such as Sesame Street characters' conversations. It doesn't bother me at all. In fact, if he goes silent, then I worry something is wrong with him.

Just thinking about it, NT babies learn by echolalia, too. A baby must hear the word "mama" or "daddy" hundreds of times before he can speak it, and once he learns, he will say it repeatedly.

There's nothing to be embarrassed about. It's a learning process. :)

... Wish i could fix me being me and be a perfect human but im not im sorry im not perfect and sorry for being Autistic. I do my best to fit in the world but cant and im a misfit, an outsider and seen as sub human. Im sad after that. I try my best i try hard to fit in.

My nephew has echolalia, too. He is now about 30 years old and still repeats what he hears. He also has an uncanny ability to mimic how other people's voices sound. I've posted here before that when he was a child, he communicated with others by repeating dialogue from TV shows, such as Sesame Street characters' conversations. It doesn't bother me at all. In fact, if he goes silent, then I worry something is wrong with him.

Just thinking about it, NT babies learn by echolalia, too. A baby must hear the word "mama" or "daddy" hundreds of times before he can speak it, and once he learns, he will say it repeatedly.

There's nothing to be embarrassed about. It's a learning process. :)
Im 37 still have it what is wrong with me? I should be too old to have it, i feel sad at times and people want to bully me.

Im 37 still have it what is wrong with me? I should be too old to have it, i feel sad at times and people want to bully me.

I don't think there is anything "wrong" with you. It's just how your brain processes information. I expect my nephew to have echolalia his entire life and he is not much younger than you are. It's okay to have echolalia. Sometimes words and phrases get stuck in my brain but I don't way it aloud, just say it internally, so somehow it must subconsciously comfort me or reduce anxiety. Maybe it discharges excess energy from my brain.

I wish I could get rid of the bullies for you. Please try to avoid them. They are ignorant, petty, losers who are so insecure that they try to pump up their self-esteem by attacking other people.

No you're not too old to have it. I'm 27 and although it got better with time, I still have it. It seems to be to a lesser extend than what you have, but it's still there and I can't do anything to not have it at all either. It just happens to be this way.

New Threads

Top Bottom