• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Echolalia.

I just heard someone say that echolalia isn't just repeating things out loud, but also repeating things in your head... is that true? 'Cause I constantly have certain phrases running on repeat in my mind...

I too wonder if this qualifies or is different, I do it very often. Right now the phrase stuck in my head on repeat is “body melt”:D (the name of a particularly bad movie that I will probably never actually recommend even to people who usually like movies, I just watch it because I’m a sucker for body horror, which it has in abundance) “Melt” is a word that will often stick in my head, I think I like the feel of thinking/mouthing it. “Murmur” is another one that’s good for me, I can’t just say it once and be done with it:oops:

Last edited:
I just heard someone say that echolalia isn't just repeating things out loud, but also repeating things in your head... is that true? 'Cause I constantly have certain phrases running on repeat in my mind...

"Put this apple on your head!"
"What YOU looking at?"

"Everyone loves you, Kirby..."
"AH, STOP! SPINNIN'! ME! WITH THAT! DADGUM! UMBRELLA BOY!"

"It pains me to do this, Sire, but I am afraid I must...eh...*nudges car with foot*"

"You had no right to harm these creatures, they did NOT deserve to die!"

"Woohoo, overtime!"
"Ka-BOOM, baby!"
"My life for Ai'uhr!"

.....I um....Excuse me, I need to fetch my medicine.

A cockatoo or macaw blue or red scwuak!Repeat what they say aaaaaarrrr *sqwuak!* they sqwauk back i pet em.

Last edited:
Best i dont get a parrot my land lord would boot me from loud noises both of us squawking. Raaaaaaaa!!!

Hi, I’m neurodivergent self-diagnosed but have never been to a therapist for a firm diagnosis of any type besides confirmed OCD. I suspect possible Asperger’s also, but like mentioned, have not been diagnosed. When I was 12 years old, my mom moved away and I had to go to live with my dad. It was traumatic. I started repeating the word “cheese” to everyone when they would try to talk to me and have normal conversation. The only reply I would ever give was “cheese” for at least a year and a half following the event. Is this a type of echolalia? I’ve always been curious.

I started repeating the word “cheese” to everyone when they would try to talk to me and have normal conversation. The only reply I would ever give was “cheese” for at least a year and a half following the event. Is this a type of echolalia? I’ve always been curious.
I don't know whether it's echolalia (maybe it is? Word repetition and all). Is there a reason you went with the word "cheese"? Personally, a lot of my meows are just a way of getting out of saying real words, either because I'm uncomfortable, or because I really don't know how to respond. I only do it with friends and family though.

New Threads

Top Bottom