• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Exactly! When I start my meal, I tend to eat everything in a clockwise fashion, unless there is a food that I don't like, then I eat that first so I can enjoy the rest of the meal. If I run out of something on the plate, I'll go get a little bit more so the bites balance right to the end.

If I’m having something that’s all cooked together like pasta and mixed veg sauce I’ll work my way from edge to middle in a spiral by turning the plate round and round between each mouthful. (Clockwise) :)

carefully making sure the last mouthful contains an olive: black ones have top status over all other foodstuffs ;):p:D

I don't do that with food, but I make sure that my last bite is my favourite thing on the plate.

I do something similar with medicine. When I have to take a tablet I pour them all out of the container and stare at them to decide which one I should take. I personify them and pity them, for either being chosen to be swallowed (having to leave the group), or worst case being the last one chosen. It reminds me of being chosen last in school group activities. Sometimes some of them look really helpless like they don't want me to pick them, or they are hiding beneath their friend. :(

Yes I'm weird.

Only recently, I have begun to eat plants [fruits & vegetables] before protein (in the hope of preventing constipation).
full

I just scoff my food as quickly as possible. I prefer easy food, minimal prep etc. I'm quite happy just eating the same thing again and again. Back when I lived at home they had the same dinners every week for over 15 years. I really enjoyed that routine, but people who I dated who began to realise how rigid this dinner method was would quickly find it tedious.

Ed

I eat food in particular ways. The end of the meal seems to be important to me too. For example, when eating a burger and fries, I always finish the last bite of the burger and end with a couple of fries. When I eat a steak with sides though, I finish the sides and the last bite is the steak. I have an order for eating my food depending on what it is.

I don't care about numbers, at least in food. I want specific plates and utensils, though. I wouldn't say I'm "OCD" about it, as there's no anxiety, but I do blankly refuse to eat with/from certain items.

I think it is not OCD. It is high systematizing common in ASD. I don't have that kind of systematizing when eating, but I have a strict time schedule when brushing teeth.

How To Autism Eat:
1. Take fork, stab food.
2. Let excess pieces fall, stab food again.
3. Repeat step 2 until food stops being gravity.
4. Eat.

Sometimes when Bubby get lots of M-Ms, Bubby put the colors together! Rainbow!

I have read where people with ASD often have food sensitivities and restrictive diets, and I am like this as well. Additionally, I tend to eat the same things every day. But the habit that people comment on as strange is that I sort and prioritize my food in order of increasing expected enjoyment, and I eat foods sequentially without thinking about it.

I am just curious because my wife's family members have made comments from time to time at family functions about my weird eating habits the past 28 years. Does anyone else on this forum have similar eating habits? Is this an Aspie trait, OCD, or what?

I'm not sure I'm understanding this right: so you eat the foods on your plate in a certain order? Your in-laws have been making comments about it for the last 28 years?!

I have little quirks, yes, I eat when I want and what I want and don't often sit down for a "proper" meal, I can eat the same thing every day and on occasion, I will arrange or eat my food in a specific way.

Maybe I'm just a grumpy old man, but if people comment more than once on personal habits that don't affect them in any way, I tend to put a stop to that :p

When there is more than one thing on my plate, I eat all of one thing first. Then I eat the next and then the next in that order. Even when we get a burger & fries, I will eat all of one, then the other. I do not know why I do this, I have eaten like this for as long as I can remember. Nobody in the family says anything, they all know that grandpa is weird.

When there is more than one thing on my plate, I eat all of one thing first. Then I eat the next and then the next in that order. Even when we get a burger & fries, I will eat all of one, then the other. I do not know why I do this, I have eaten like this for as long as I can remember. Nobody in the family says anything, they all know that grandpa is weird.

Yes that is what I do also. I have heard it is an ASD trait and was just curious if others did this.

I'm not sure I'm understanding this right: so you eat the foods on your plate in a certain order? Your in-laws have been making comments about it for the last 28 years?!

I have little quirks, yes, I eat when I want and what I want and don't often sit down for a "proper" meal, I can eat the same thing every day and on occasion, I will arrange or eat my food in a specific way.

Maybe I'm just a grumpy old man, but if people comment more than once on personal habits that don't affect them in any way, I tend to put a stop to that :p

People find my habits mildly amusing, but it doesn't bother me. I was just curious if it was an ASD trait, which it apparently is.

For what it's worth, I've heard a lot of people on the spectrum mentioning various peculiar food-related habits. I think the most common were eating the same thing all the time and - somewhat related - misophonia or just preferring to eat by themselves.

@grommet discussed this on a thread recently, he was saying he likes to eat the same foods but that some people have shown surprise about this. I agree that this seems common in ASD.

I don't mind mixing up my food on my plate. I do get fond of specific foods and eat them a lot, though I like to try new foods too.

It is very common for autistics to have ritualized and methodical eating habits. To have a limited range of things they like to eat. To eat the same things regularly.

It is all about order and consistency.

New Threads

Top Bottom