• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

early intervention--what is it exactly?

smith2267

Are they trying to make ASD kids into NT's? Trying to stop them from stimming, teach them the art of talking a lot while saying nothing?
Anyone know? If that's what they do it's wrong.
OTOH, the HFA's need teaching geared toward their aspie minds, and the low functioners need help acquiring language.
Early intervention could be great if they are doing it right. You can't fix ASD kids, they aren't broken (or if they are it's an anatomical abnormality in their brain you can't fix), but you can adapt to their learning needs and style.
I studied ASL in college, including Deaf culture. They went through this exact same thing. Deaf kids being taught to lipread and sound hearing. Well, they aren't hearing. YOu can't get pork from a cow.

Don't waste time turning that autie kid into a poor facsimile of a neurotypical. It's his time too.

Last edited:
There is no absolute answer to this question, as I understand it. What constitutes appropriate early intervention strategies vary enormously from one therapist to the next, form one school to the next, between the social classes & from one culture & religion to the next. Each camp can rally a busload of experts armed with 'scientific' studies validating their approaches. One of the worst I've personally seen the effects of is an extreme form of cognitive/behaviour modification strategy. It is applied to young Auties & it involves rewarding them with something they desire (such as a token system where a certain amount of tokens can be traded for a reward) when they behave in the way the authority figures (parents, teacher, therapist etc) desires & punishments/consequences for 'inappropriate' conduct. Therein lurks the potential for tremendous abuses. Any Aspie/Autie traits get punished. This is akin to trying to de-spectrumize the kid on the spectrum. It is cruel, short-sighted, doomed to fail (since the brain's wiring remains the same) & an exercise in frustration for all involved.

Since the punishing/taking away strategies don't work, frustrated, emotionally & ego invested parents up the ante. Here we've seen many upper middle class to affluent parents really buy into these strategies since they are simple to implement (career people have little time to spend on a challenging child), many are accustomed to being able to buy quick fixes for just about everything & many feel (but don't say it aloud) entitled to have a successful 'chip off the old block' status symbol type of model child. Ironically, Spectrum kids often find more acceptance in families where there is less money since the parents often have fewer lofty expectations, accept that life can be difficult & are less likely to expect to be catered to & buy a solution. Affluent parents often feel humiliated by having someone irregular in their family.

Some types of early intervention are great in that they aim to break the parents' denials that something is different about their child, it isn't a phase & the sooner it is acknowledged & understood, the sooner real strategies & interventions tailored to the specific child & his/her needs can be implemented. Some kids lose their budding ability to speak, interact with others at all & attend to their physical needs. Early interventions that support retaining & improving these skills & scaffolding them to be of use in other areas. A sharp-eyed parent or teacher ought to know what a spectrum kid is interested in & use these interests to engage the child. This is especially effective with Aspie kids since many will go on ad nauseum about the topic they're fascinated with.

Part of the problem with helping people on the spectrum is that the interests of concerned parties are at odds. Parents often go into denial (wasting critical time) & then focus on curing or repairing the child. The teacher has a classroom with over 20 kids in it, pressure to follow a curriculum & ensure that the students meet certain grade standards. With so many kids, the teacher's interest often lies in minimizing any distracting or disruptive behaviours. Other parents too resent the presence of so-called 'retarded' kids in class with their child & the teacher must also defend these kids' rights to be there. When little Jimmy goes home & says that 'that crazy kid' went nuts, threw a fit & class was stopped because of it, the teacher catches the flak. Psychologists want to test their pet theories & there are financial incentives to prescribing drugs. Institutions want to grow their businesses, gain clientele & prestige & often do so using specious cockamamie methods(fear tactics backed by pseudoscience) & making false promises. Religious movements teach that this or that holy guy can cure your (IF the price is right, IF you believe hard enough & IF you stop being such a sinful degenerate). Old school disciplinarians blame it on people being too soft on these kids & believe that spanking (punishing, beating & abusing) these kids will 'learn 'em' to stop with that rocking back & forth.

We Aspies & Auties need to tell of our experiences & express what this spectrum is as we see it. WE need to have more of our own experts & spokes people who can advocate for us. So long as the discourse is directed, generated by & managed from a solely NT perspective, we will continue to be subjected to draconian & ineffective interventions.

@Soup, I am educated and well spoken, as are you, but don't have any credentials to support me. Do you think we can make a difference?

Many of these so-called experts have zero credentials & are virtual dunces (think Jenny McCarthy the ex-comic & Playboy Bunny). None of the religious nutters know bugger all & they too do not exactly corner the market on smarts.

@Soup, I am educated and well spoken, as are you, but don't have any credentials to support me. Do you think we can make a difference?

I would like to hope so ... very much I would like to hope that we aspie can make a difference through telling our experiences.

Many of these so-called experts have zero credentials & are virtual dunces (think Jenny McCarthy the ex-comic & Playboy Bunny). None of the religious nutters know bugger all & they too do not exactly corner the market on smarts.

That Jenny McCarthy ... she thought she knew everything ... while her diet thing did work for her kid for a bit ... its just hiding what he really is.

career people have little time to spend on a challenging child ... Soup I think this says it all and why there is such a move to get kids on medication rather than the therapies they need.

Early intervention is about giving them time to learn in an environment that is going to help with them functioning in the world that we all live in. It is geared to help with langauge, body language, emotion regulation, skills that we ASD crowd tend to have varying in poor ability most of the time. The thing is it isn't about teaching them not to stim or teaching them not to be autistic it is teaching them how to cope and deal in the world. Behaviors that need to be curbed or coped with that are not appropriate are meet with therapies to help with reducing those behaviors that are not conducive to having a life in which one people can understand you, two to have a job in, and three to be socially functional enough to tell people what you need or want in life is very important.

I suppose I did my own intervention. I loved my two aspies, but at the time I didn't have the facts. The medical field tried to help, but this was 30 years ago, so away I went with my ritalyn and ADHD child. I taught him how to handle his anger, his dad taught him how to study, I put him in time out and held him responsible for his behaviors. I called every teacher he had, and said "put in in the front row, he has a hard time focusing". I knew there was a problem, then the medical field failed me. I wish I had support back then. My children didn't even have help in school. One of the therapishts told me to keep it quite, so he could get a job. This was just supposed to be ADHD. I'm sorry to report that America is not ready to help Asperger children. America is not ready to hire Asperger children. However there are Aspergers in every big company (in the closet) doing all the brunt of the work. I suppose that my children were lucky to have me working with them every day of there life. My AS husband was struggling and working and making money. I was at his side, and raising two AS children with not help from any one. I read about the explotation of the future. I'm hoping this is not the case.

Sounds like you & your family really faced significant challenges! Your unflagging support likely made a huge difference in their lives.

As for America 'being ready', few people are ready to wait around for foot-dragging narrow-minded people to wake up, inform themselves & become accepting. America 'wasn't ready' for slavery to end, for women to vote, for gay rights, reproductive rights, school desegregation & a host of other changes. Fortunately, those who needed changes to occur didn't sit around waiting. Aspies are being hired. Fields such as engineering, mathematics, physics, computer sciences etc. are jam packed with Aspies. Many are musicians, actors & professors too. Many people hide their differences in order to enable them to work in certain fields. I'm a teacher & I've never told anyone because I know that despite all the sugary talk of acceptance that goes on in schools, these are extremely conservative status quo oriented environments that are slow to change & deeply suspicious of anything unconventional.

Since we have people's kids in our care, many parents would freak to know that the teacher has 'something wrong with them'. Media distortions in the light of recent mass shootings has created a false link in the public mind between Aspies & mass murder. Since I don't require any accommodations due directly to Asperger's, it is easier not to say anything. Since the bulk of the time is spent in the class with the kids, I don't have to be in heavy NT drag except on parent/teacher nights & for certain meetings with parents. These tend to be quite brief so I can pull off a more sociable persona for them. I think, too, that some things are none of anyone's damned business. Why should I have to share with the staff a diagnosis that has absolutely no effect on them? What do I really know about their private lives?

New Threads

Top Bottom