• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Driving

alex0103

I understand a lot of you here are in America or possibly Canada. I am in UK and as of such we tend to have more manual (stick shift as it's known in your country) cars and therefore often the driving lessons are in a manual as is also the driving test

I am 49 and whilst I have had about 20 lessons over my lifetime, I still haven't managed to learn to drive. I find the dual concentration on using a clutch, shifting gears and using a brake pedal as well as concentrating on the road and traffic to be quite difficult. I am thinking that driving an automatic car would be much simpler and easier. It seems more and more cars here in UK are now automatic and there is even a test to do it in automatic car although that would mean you could only ever drive an automatic car and not a manual car.

I just wondered if any of you here have had difficulty learning to drive?

Well, the "manual" part certainly doesnt help, I expect.

I'm in the US, and manual cars seem to have been entirely faded out a long while ago... archaic at best. It's been decades since I last saw one. Which makes sense: people are easily distracted as it is, giving them this now-unnecessary lever that they need to constantly be pulling and pushing as they go aint the best idea. I mean, really, drivers here are idiots to start with...

As such, a lot of people here have no idea how to use one.

Heck, I graduated highschool in 2000, and even during Driver's Ed classes there at that time, manual cars were not only not covered, but not even mentioned. They werent a thing we had to deal with, so... we didnt.

So even considering how much driving I do (which is a lot) I cant use a manual car either.

I think it's just about practice, repeat, repeat, repeat. I prefer stick shifts, I have always had cars with stick shifts. Automatic is easier, no doubt about that. I just prefer to have more control over the car. My dad was smart, he taught me to drive all sorts of things when I was 13, it's easier to learn things at that age I think. At first it was difficult to handle the stick shift, but it's about practice. It's not very complicated, it just feels like it is at first. After a while you get a 'feeling' of how it is, you instinctively know when to do what.

The trickiest part is when you're letting the clutch out and stepping on the gas pedal at the same time, there's a balance there. It has to work together. You have to learn that balance. Don't give up, that's the trick. After a while you don't even have to think about it, it becomes almost a reflex. On the other hand, I think automatic is becoming the norm, most new cars have automatic transmissions and electric cars have no transmission at all. So maybe you don't have to learn it.

I recently changed from manual to automatic, and I can confirm that automatic is way more simple.

I drive automatic, but it is one of those fussy little automatics from the "slushbox" era. You still have to manually put it in a lower gear on steep hills.

I think I might like to try a manual but I think the electric auto will have finished killing the gasoline auto by then. Wish we had our passenger train network back in good condition...

Well, the "manual" part certainly doesnt help, I expect.

I'm in the US, and manual cars seem to have been entirely faded out a long while ago... archaic at best. It's been decades since I last saw one. Which makes sense: people are easily distracted as it is, giving them this now-unnecessary lever that they need to constantly be pulling and pushing as they go aint the best idea. I mean, really, drivers here are idiots to start with...

As such, a lot of people here have no idea how to use one.

Heck, I graduated highschool in 2000, and even during Driver's Ed classes there at that time, manual cars were not only not covered, but not even mentioned. They werent a thing we had to deal with, so... we didnt.

So even considering how much driving I do (which is a lot) I cant use a manual car either.
We briefly lived in California in the early 80s. My mum went to driver education classes and passed her test first time there.

My wife passed her manual driving test here in UK after 5 attempts, not only are they more strict but it shows how much more difficult it is to pass a test here. That isn't to disrespect you there in America, just saying it's a lot harder to pass your test and learn here in UK. Often driving instructors want you to do at least 45-50 lessons with them before even attempting your test. Maybe that's because they want to make as much money as they can, I don't know.

I think it's just about practice, repeat, repeat, repeat. I prefer stick shifts, I have always had cars with stick shifts. Automatic is easier, no doubt about that. I just prefer to have more control over the car. My dad was smart, he taught me to drive all sorts of things when I was 13, it's easier to learn things at that age I think. At first it was difficult to handle the stick shift, but it's about practice. It's not very complicated, it just feels like it is at first. After a while you get a 'feeling' of how it is, you instinctively know when to do what.

The trickiest part is when you're letting the clutch out and stepping on the gas pedal at the same time, there's a balance there. It has to work together. You have to learn that balance. Don't give up, that's the trick. After a while you don't even have to think about it, it becomes almost a reflex. On the other hand, I think automatic is becoming the norm, most new cars have automatic transmissions and electric cars have no transmission at all. So maybe you don't have to learn it.
The clutch for me is the worst part

I had four lessons when I was eighteen and couldn't get the hang of the clutch at all. Went down the motorcycle route and passed the test second time. It's great apart from when it's raining, snowing or there is a lot of traffic.

You can get twist'n'go mopeds if you want to avoid changing gear. I've ridden bikes with hand change and left hand foot brake, hand change with right hand foot brake, right hand foot change with left hand foot brake and the opposite (yes, it is confusing and yes, I have tried to change gear with the brake!). The one I haven't ridden yet is hand change with a lever operated throttle... that is the hard one!

I can drive, but do not have a licence and when I was practising in a car with automatic, I was told that it is clear that I cannot multi task and driving does involve that, so, he said: you will make a great driver, but only by driving automatic and I fully agree.

Although, I know there are many aspies who do drive manually and curious to know how lol

I can drive, but do not have a licence and when I was practising in a car with automatic, I was told that it is clear that I cannot multi task and driving does involve that, so, he said: you will make a great driver, but only by driving automatic and I fully agree.

Although, I know there are many aspies who do drive manually and curious to know how lol
Me too and yes I have the same problems of multi tasking also.

All of my family drive, my mum, dad, sisters and brother and they all drive a manual but then I am the only Aspie among them. I don't know if my son or my nephew will have issues learning to drive when they get older (both are ASD).

Practice, practice and more practice. :) It's like everything else, enough practice makes champions.
But what if you practice and practice and it just isn't coming, you learn it then the knowledge doesn't stick? I go out driving with my instructor and I am mostly ok but nervous. Then I go out driving with my wife or a friend and suddenly I seem to forget most of the important things and I am almost dangerous.

But what if you practice and practice and it just isn't coming, you learn it then the knowledge doesn't stick? I go out driving with my instructor and I am mostly ok but nervous. Then I go out driving with my wife or a friend and suddenly I seem to forget most of the important things and I am almost dangerous.
Then you try motorbikes

Driving with an instructor will always be different to driving with friends or family. Also the car is probably different too. If there's a lot of anxiety around driving - then fear of making mistakes will probably lead to a self-fulfilling prohpechy. As @Forest Cat said - it needs practice. When I passed my driving test it took me many weeks of daily driving before confidence grew enough to feel safe and capable driving on the road. But, as the weeks turn into months and years - you grow more competent.

Ed

Started off on a Cub Cadet riding mower as a child.
I learned how to steer and avoid objects on a go-cart.
At age 9, my dad let me row the gears in his new El Camino so I learned what it sounded like when it was time to change gears.
At age 13, I built a minibike I wasn't allowed to have, so it got a manual clutch because I couldn't ask for an automatic one.
At age 14, I purchased my first car, and yep manual transmission.

I passed my driver's test the first time in a Bradley GT kit car that had a 4 speed.

When I did a driver's education course in highschool to reduce insurance costs, I had already been driving a full year in that old SS 396 Camino.
It was a very difficult transition to an automatic for me. After I left the school parking lot, there was a hill with a stop sign at the bottom.
After bringing it to a near halt with the brakes, I generally stabbed the wider brake pedal to the floor at the last ten feet thinking it was a manual transmission car.
Oops, wrong move.
The instructor also scolded me on a regular basis for not keeping two hands on the wheel.
That won't work on a manual shifted ride dude.
Ever.
Although I had driven many of them, I didn't own my first automatic transmission car until I was 28.

Believe it or not, my dragster has an automatic transmission, modified with a reverse manual valvebody and a high stall torque converter :emojiconfused:
(The high stall converter mimics releasing a manual clutch at the optimum power setting like you do when straight line racing a manual)
The valve body allows you to do the gear selection as needed, not as programmed.

In the USA, most of the manufacturers have dropped manual transmission options to avoid warranty issues.
Everything now has a rev limiter on it for the same reason.

I prefer a manual transmission in a truck because of the additional control it offers.

After you get onto a manual transmission, the entire process becomes automatic ;)

Last edited:
I started driving at about 8 years old, but I never learned to drive a stick. I have ridden a lot of quads and 3 wheeler ATVs, so I understand the idea of the clutch and changing gears, but I have never done that in a car or truck.

I don't really know, I have just learned that repetition is key to become good at something. I'm sure you can do it, just keep doing it and I think it will get better.

Started off on a Cub Cadet riding mower as a child.
I learned how to steer and avoid objects on a go-cart.
At age 9, my dad let me row the gears in his new El Camino so I learned what it sounded like when it was time to change gears.
At age 13, I built a minibike I wasn't allowed to have, so it got a manual clutch because I couldn't ask for an automatic one.
At age 14, I purchased my first car, and yep manual transmission.

I passed my driver's test the first time in a Bradley GT kit car that had a 4 speed.

When I did a driver's education course in highschool to reduce insurance costs, I had already been driving a full year in that old SS 396 Camino.
It was a very difficult transition to an automatic for me. After I left the school parking lot, there was a hill with a stop sign at the bottom.
After bringing it to a near halt with the brakes, I generally stabbed the wider brake pedal to the floor at the last ten feet thinking it was a manual transmission car.
Oops, wrong move.
The instructor also scolded me on a regular basis for not keeping two hands on the wheel.
That won't work on a manual shifted ride dude.
Ever.
Although I had driven many of them, I didn't own my first automatic transmission car until I was 28.

Believe it or not, my dragster has an automatic transmission, modified with a reverse manual valvebody and a high stall torque converter :emojiconfused:
(The high stall converter mimics releasing a manual clutch at the optimum power setting like you do when straight line racing a manual)
The valve body allows you to do the gear selection as needed, not as programmed.

In the USA, most of the manufacturers have dropped manual transmission options to avoid warranty issues.
Everything now has a rev limiter on it for the same reason.

I prefer a manual transmission in a truck because of the additional control it offers.

After you get onto a manual transmission, the entire process becomes automatic ;)

When it was time for me to get my license, I had already been driving for 5 years. You have to be 18 to get a license here. So I went to traffic school and after the first hour of driving, the driving instructor looked at me and said "So, how long have you been driving illegally?". :D It was obvious that I had much more experience than I legally could have. lol He didn't care, it was just funny. I learned to drive on fields, backroads and dirt tracks.

I learned at the age of fifteen to operate a car with an automatic transmission. Wasn't until after I got my license the following year that I began to learn (struggle is more like it) to successfully and safely drive a family car with manual transmission.

As intimidating as it is having to do so much multitasking, I found a simple dynamic to it all:

PRACTICE-PRACTICE-PRACTICE!

After so much continuous practice, you'll most likely begin to shift those gears as second-nature. Though hopefully you'll have someone very patient to teach you. I started off with my father, who simply did not have such patience. He gave up on me, and my mother stepped in. In time and with considerably more patience, I prevailed.

Some forty years later, I still exclusively drive a car with a manual (6-speed) transmission and still love it.

You can do this! Thanks, Mom. ;)

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom