• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Don't Be Shy To Introduce Yourself

Hi, everyone! I'm a 25 year-old who was diagnosed with Asperger's (and ADD, but it wasn't formally diagnosed) and generalized anxiety when I was 17. I'm just trying to make my success in the world, but it's been a long road.

welcome im 47 diagnosed officially diagnosed 22 months ago, there are people who are like me ,some like you and different ones again,if it matters to you thats alright
Hi, everyone! I'm a 25 year-old who was diagnosed with Asperger's (and ADD, but it wasn't formally diagnosed) and generalized anxiety when I was 17. I'm just trying to make my success in the world, but it's been a long road.

Hi everyone,

I decided to join all of you to gain some perspective. My mother is on the spectrum as is the guy I'm currently dating both of them can be pretty mysterious to me.

~Solaen

Hi everyone,

I decided to join all of you to gain some perspective. My mother is on the spectrum as is the guy I'm currently dating both of them can be pretty mysterious to me.

~Solaen
Think of an adult who never lies and can't understand why people gossip and understand the world by constantly learning and we are constantly physically exhausted

Think of an adult who never lies and can't understand why people gossip and understand the world by constantly learning and we are constantly physically exhausted
Hmmm... I can see some of that in them both. :) They are quite busy, physically and mentally. I am not wired to go that fast.

Hello everyone,

I'm Marci, and I'm not in the spectrum. Rather, I'm here for my friend who is. She's got aspergers and she found that out within the last three years. We're both 29, it's a long time of misdiagnosis since she was born. I'll be honest here, and I'm not here to brag, I'm here to ask for help. We've been friends since we were in Junior High, I've always appreciated her sense of humour and our common interests. We had our ups and downs, and there was a time that we had a long long break from each other, approximately three years when we didn't talk to each other at all.

I'm here now because I've been winging it with my friend for that long, and the problems with our individual personalities and added the aspergers, make it really hard for me to understand her. So in a way, I came here to seek what perspective I'm missing so I could understand her better. There's no way that I'd let a 16 year old friendship go to waste because of my ignorance and lack of capability to understand. So when I ask about a problem about my AS friend, please don't take it as an attack, merely take it as me asking for help, because I need to understand my bestfriend better. Not only from my own musings, but from people from around the world who would understand it better than I would. Thankyou everyone in advance, and if I'm being an idiot, please forgive me since I am still learning, and has been for the last 16 years. Thank you.

Marci.

welcome
Hello everyone,

I'm Marci, and I'm not in the spectrum. Rather, I'm here for my friend who is. She's got aspergers and she found that out within the last three years. We're both 29, it's a long time of misdiagnosis since she was born. I'll be honest here, and I'm not here to brag, I'm here to ask for help. We've been friends since we were in Junior High, I've always appreciated her sense of humour and our common interests. We had our ups and downs, and there was a time that we had a long long break from each other, approximately three years when we didn't talk to each other at all.

I'm here now because I've been winging it with my friend for that long, and the problems with our individual personalities and added the aspergers, make it really hard for me to understand her. So in a way, I came here to seek what perspective I'm missing so I could understand her better. There's no way that I'd let a 16 year old friendship go to waste because of my ignorance and lack of capability to understand. So when I ask about a problem about my AS friend, please don't take it as an attack, merely take it as me asking for help, because I need to understand my bestfriend better. Not only from my own musings, but from people from around the world who would understand it better than I would. Thankyou everyone in advance, and if I'm being an idiot, please forgive me since I am still learning, and has been for the last 16 years. Thank you.

Marci.

Hi, I'm Betbet,
I'm 32 and waiting for an appointment to be officially tested/diagnosed with Autism/Aspergers.
I'm a mother of two girls, the eldest of which seems to be displaying Asperger tendencies but as she's at a small all girls school they have no idea about autism (her previous class teacher listed a whole load of male autistic traits and said "she doesn't do any of these so she's fine") I'm hoping my diagnosis may help her in the future.

we
Hi, I'm Betbet,
I'm 32 and waiting for an appointment to be officially tested/diagnosed with Autism/Aspergers.
I'm a mother of two girls, the eldest of which seems to be displaying Asperger tendencies but as she's at a small all girls school they have no idea about autism (her previous class teacher listed a whole load of male autistic traits and said "she doesn't do any of these so she's fine") I'm hoping my diagnosis may help her in the future.
welcome be careful about taking diagnosis if you dont need accomodations university or welfare benefits ive heard living in the us its expensive
someone said they were diagnosed for free through the job agency program whether thats still happening i dont know .
type in the search box on the forum page autism diagnosis read the posts its educational

we
welcome be careful about taking diagnosis if you dont need accomodations university or welfare benefits ive heard living in the us its expensive
someone said they were diagnosed for free through the job agency program whether thats still happening i dont know .
type in the search box on the forum page autism diagnosis read the posts its educational
Thanks, Streetwise, I'm not just doing it for her, (that's just a positive extra) I've got to 32 in my life somehow muddling through, constantly copying everyone and now I can't seem to do it anymore and everything is crashing down around me.
Also I'm in Wiltshire in the UK so I'm very grateful for the NHS!

great i confused someone again classic i meant you its common for people on the autism spectrum to not know they are aspie if they were born 1991 or 2-3 no diagnosis for what was Aspergers now another label of high functioning autism instead and the government are trying to declassify it .in the uk.
theres a service in sunderland tyne and wear called www.ESPA .org.uk its to help you with all things autism .
ive never contacted them it was suggested by a c.p.n.
i live in Sunderland
Thanks, Streetwise, I'm not just doing it for her, (that's just a positive extra) I've got to 32 in my life somehow muddling through, constantly copying everyone and now I can't seem to do it anymore and everything is crashing down around me.
Also I'm in Wiltshire in the UK so I'm very grateful for the NHS!

Hello.I was diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder(high functioning) a long time ago.Recently however I've had an increase in meltdowns and my aunt thinks something else may be co-morbiding with my autism.I'm going to be put on meds soon and my aunt plans on taking me to someone to get my mind checked.Aside from that I'm doing okay.How are you guys?

i'm in a constant shattering war with panic disorder and hope i can see a psychiatric nurse soon,probably will be next year! as im in England waiting lists are huge,
was hoping to try d.b.t but the n.h.s don't offer it ,there are not many members who arent suffering in some way ,dont have meltdowns people can see i internalise them , a lot of people recommend mindfulness- look it up on a search engine, they are a few ways to practice it ,i use adult colouring books and what i call my little bits, but what helps me maybe different for you,as i experience a lot of panic attacks.I was diagnosed 23 months ago with mild h.f.a and im nearly 48 ,but its common if you're a female aspie to be pigeonholed with mental illness!!! instead of h.f.a and you were born before aspergers syndrome was a diagnosis,even after for countries like france .
.[qQUOTE="hopeisnotlost, post: 434509, member: 18242"]Hello.I was diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder(high functioning) a long time ago.Recently however I've had an increase in meltdowns and my aunt thinks something else may be co-morbiding with my autism.I'm going to be put on meds soon and my aunt plans on taking me to someone to get my mind checked.Aside from that I'm doing okay.How are you guys?[/QUOTE]

i'm in a constant shattering war with panic disorder and hope i can see a psychiatric nurse soon,probably will be next year! as im in England waiting lists are huge,
was hoping to try d.b.t but the n.h.s don't offer it ,there are not many members who arent suffering in some way ,dont have meltdowns people can see i internalise them , a lot of people recommend mindfulness- look it up on a search engine, they are a few ways to practice it ,i use adult colouring books and what i call my little bits, but what helps me maybe different for you,as i experience a lot of panic attacks.I was diagnosed 23 months ago with mild h.f.a and im nearly 48 ,but its common if you're a female aspie to be pigeonholed with mental illness!!! instead of h.f.a and you were born before aspergers syndrome was a diagnosis,even after for countries like france .
.[qQUOTE="hopeisnotlost, post: 434509, member: 18242"]Hello.I was diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder(high functioning) a long time ago.Recently however I've had an increase in meltdowns and my aunt thinks something else may be co-morbiding with my autism.I'm going to be put on meds soon and my aunt plans on taking me to someone to get my mind checked.Aside from that I'm doing okay.How are you guys?
[/QUOTE]
What's d.b.t? And I'll look up mindfulness.

dialectical behaviour therapy my psychiatric nurse said it's based on emotions for people who are suicidal -instead of cognitive behavioural therapy which is changing your thinking.
I need a lot of CBT most people are on the autism spectrum do .

Hi my name is Elizabeth. I was screened in high school and they told me I am high-functioning but actually lower on the spectrum than my little brother who has a lot of very obvious traits...females present differently so looking back I guess it makes sense.

At the time, I rejected my diagnosis. I felt like the label would actually make me achieve less and figured since I had gotten to 16 years old without the diagnosis, that I would be fine without it.

I now realize all the resources I could have had at my disposal...

I am 26 now, have my Bachelors degree in experimental psychology and I'm a year away from my Masters (I'm doing research on autism for my thesis )...

Looking back at all the issues I have had in all social relationships, romantic, family, friends. I wish I would have had more help. My self-esteem drops when I imagine how I may have hurt people unknowingly...

Anyway, I've got a lot to say about a lot of stuff but I won't say it here...just pretty excited to be a part of a social group that may understand me and support me and give me advice. I really need it sometimes...nice to meet you all!!

I'm high functioning like you, from North East England, 47 years old and was diagnosed 23 months ago joined to try understand that I was autistic at 46 years old, also annoyed that that was inferred that I was a hypochondriac when I suggested autism and wanted to talk.
Hi my name is Elizabeth. I was screened in high school and they told me I am high-functioning but actually lower on the spectrum than my little brother who has a lot of very obvious traits...females present differently so looking back I guess it makes sense.

At the time, I rejected my diagnosis. I felt like the label would actually make me achieve less and figured since I had gotten to 16 years old without the diagnosis, that I would be fine without it.

I now realize all the resources I could have had at my disposal...

I am 26 now, have my Bachelors degree in experimental psychology and I'm a year away from my Masters (I'm doing research on autism for my thesis )...

Looking back at all the issues I have had in all social relationships, romantic, family, friends. I wish I would have had more help. My self-esteem drops when I imagine how I may have hurt people unknowingly...

Anyway, I've got a lot to say about a lot of stuff but I won't say it here...just pretty excited to be a part of a social group that may understand me and support me and give me advice. I really need it sometimes...nice to meet you all!!

I'm high functioning like you, from North East England, 47 years old and was diagnosed 23 months ago joined to try understand that I was autistic at 46 years old, also annoyed that that was inferred that I was a hypochondriac when I suggested autism and wanted to talk.

The hypochondriac thing is upsetting. Exes of mine would just consistently tell me that I'm not autistic. It hurts my feelings really because it then decreases the amount of support and understanding I get. None of them ever tried to understand me. Just deny what I'm telling them and say I was 'making excuses'. So hard to deal with that

New Threads

Top Bottom