• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Doing my Research Project on autism for school...

I completely agree we're human with with human brains. When I said "fundamentally different" I meant different and the core level of functioning, not "drastically different". I think what I'm trying to say is that autism isn't something stuck on top of a NT brain it just kind of is part of our brain. If you removed all the autism I'm not sure what would be left. If you had to put in a whole new NT brain would that be a cure or just creating a new person?
In terms of a new type of neuron I have to confess I am out of my depth at this point but in the conversation but if you have knowledge I'd be interested to learn.
I don't think the hypothetical cure would erase the autistic person as much as it would enable that person to achieve previously impossible social-emotional developmental milestones.

I don't think the hypothetical cure would erase the autistic person as much as it would enable that person to achieve previously impossible social-emotional developmental milestones.
That certainly sounds good, I think my point isn't that it wouldn't be good but that autism is so fundamental to who we are that it can't be removed without removing us. I would certainly consider reaching further social and emotional milestones to be one of my main goals so I'm totally with you on that part.

*Sorry if we're hijacking your thread OP but hopefully its all food for thought*

Maybe then we can consider rephrasing to changing how society perceives and receives autistics so that there are no longer obstacles that prevent us from achieving those social-emotional milestones, instead of changing our brains.

Or in my opinion, redefining/changing the current outdated social milestones because they don't necessarily translate to success as an individual.

Last edited:
If you subscribe to the current prevailing theory that autism is the result of genetics the a cure is currently very unlikely. Treatments continue to be explored but may have more to do with the associated co-morbid elements that often accompany autism.

I have to add that some research may in fact be directed or re-directed towards eugenics, that is 'curing' autism by eliminating it. In fact preventing our birth. But we are not talking about a disease here, but neurodiversity. And while it can mean additional challenges and difficulties it also often means enrichments and abilities we would not wish to give up. And society would be foolish to turn it's back on a population that likely has contributed greatly in many areas of development, knowledge and art.
Close. The reason is, that the Autistic central nervous system is the result of control genes, among others, which control the extent and timing of genes responsible for neural development. Once the cells of the central nervous system have differentiated, there is no going back, it is locked into its final conformation.

Last edited:
Maybe then we can consider rephrasing to changing how society perceives and receives autistics so that there are no longer obstacles that prevent us from achieving those social-emotional milestones, instead of changing our brains.
Expecting us to conform to the norm puts us in this situation:
for-a-fair-selection-everybody-has-to-take-the-same-55299430.png

Actually, Einstein did not say that.

Credit cards accepted, take our cure -all natural pills. Nope, I still on the spectrum. I need to stop watching 3:00 am infomercials.

Structure and function are not the same thing, same hardware , different software. completely different machine.

New Threads

Top Bottom