• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Doing my Research Project on autism for school...

milktoast16

Hey everyone
1f642.png

I'm from Australia and in Year 12 (senior year, year 13, whatever you call the final year of secondary school in your country) we do a research project about a topic of our choice. My topic of choice is the possibility of an ethically sourced cure for autism. Note that I do not necessarily agree with a cure, this is important.
Anyway, if someone is willing, I would like to interview someone who has autism/who knows someone with autism. That person has to be currently undergoing some sort of "treatment" for their autism, whether that is physical, psychological or a combination. I would like to interview the person/their carer/their associate (e.g. their sibling) about the ethical advantages and disadvantages of a "cure", and the scientific possibility of one.
Only your surnames would be mentioned in my Project and the same with the person with autism (if it's not you who has autism). Only the first initial would be used to differentiate. Also feel free to only share little parts of your experience, only share as comfortable as you feel to do so.

Please feel free to message me privately if you are interested, or comment below and I will message you.
Thank you guys and have a good day,
Peyton
1f642.png

There isn't a cure for autism. This is a largely genetic, neurological condition. Are you thinking of ways of helping the person perhaps?

possibility of an ethically sourced cure for autism.

There isn’t an ethical way to cure this. Certain autistic “charities” have claimed that there’s cures but cures like these are specifically harmful and do more damage than good. There is nothing ethical about this research focus but shift your research focus and possibly your research question to look at ways to support people who are ASD. There’s a particular division for support for children compared with support adults.

Severe co-morbid conditions ARE on the rise and should be prevented, if possible, but they are secondary conditions, not the autism itself.

Hey everyone
1f642.png

I'm from Australia and in Year 12 (senior year, year 13, whatever you call the final year of secondary school in your country) we do a research project about a topic of our choice. My topic of choice is the possibility of an ethically sourced cure for autism. Note that I do not necessarily agree with a cure, this is important.
Anyway, if someone is willing, I would like to interview someone who has autism/who knows someone with autism. That person has to be currently undergoing some sort of "treatment" for their autism, whether that is physical, psychological or a combination. I would like to interview the person/their carer/their associate (e.g. their sibling) about the ethical advantages and disadvantages of a "cure", and the scientific possibility of one.
Only your surnames would be mentioned in my Project and the same with the person with autism (if it's not you who has autism). Only the first initial would be used to differentiate. Also feel free to only share little parts of your experience, only share as comfortable as you feel to do so.

Please feel free to message me privately if you are interested, or comment below and I will message you.
Thank you guys and have a good day,
Peyton
1f642.png

As others have suggested,...at least from your post,...you have a critical misunderstanding of what autism is. Perhaps you still could use autism as your topic,...but perhaps discuss it from a different perspective.

1. Know that autism does appear to have a genetic component, but more specifically, epigenetic component. In other words, although autism occurrence is more likely to run in families,...autism does not appear to be genetically passed down like hair color, eye color, etc. It's not associated with autosomal dominant/recessive genes. Rather there are over 100 autism-related markers on the human genome,...it is likely that you have them as well,...but they need to be activated in the womb. This is where the research is. What are the triggers for activation of these epigenetic markers? This is were we have found "associations", but not "causations",...maternal hormonal milieu, intrauterine exposures to certain environmental toxins and viruses, placental/cord circulatory aberrations, and so on. Autism has likely been part of the human being experience since the beginning of time,...but the concern lately is that our world appears to be changing,...and a higher percentage of these epigenetic markers are being activated within the population.
2. Know that autism has a highly variable presentation. No two autistics are the same. This is likely due to the epigenetics discussed above. There are at least 3 different morphological autistic brain types. Low dopamine turnover is common, however within the autistic population, there are at least 4 different genetic subtypes affecting dopamine, alone,...that's just one of many neurotransmitters. Asperger's condition/ASD-1 variants have distinctly different frontal lobe grey/white matter volume and distribution,...as well as, it appears that they also differ from other forms of "high-functioning" autism in that Asperger's brains are more right hemispherical and the former more left hemispherical. There is a long, exhaustive list of differences between one autistic and another from a brain macro-anatomy/micro-anatomy perspective, neurotransmitter turnover perspective, asymmetrical intelligence perspective,...so we have to be very careful with context and perspective in how we use the word "autism" and "autistic".
3. Be careful with the word "treatment". There is no "treatment", per se. There is minimization of symptomatology, in some cases. There is "therapy" in terms of dealing with symptomatology, as well as, learning ways to deal with the neurotypical world, behaviorally and environmentally. There are medications,...but these are primarily attempts at balancing neurotransmitters,...and their secondary symptomatology. Only a certain percentage of autistics are in need of therapy and medications.

For perspective, I am a medical professional and an educator,...and autistic. The educator in me wants to see my students succeed in their educational endeavors. With that, I would suggest modifying your perspective on this topic toward something else besides possible "cures",...which given what I have told you suggests a near impossibility. Autism is part of the human population,...it always has been,...it likely always will.

Last edited:
I'm wondering if this is coming from wanting to help your sister more? Even if there was a cure - I think it would completely change your sisters personality. Would that even be a good thing?

I imagine the ethics around trying to "cure" autism would be a very drawn out, and heated debate.

Truth be told, a lot of us do our best to fit into a world that is catered to the NT majority. But Autism is who we are. It's how our brain is wired. In day to day life it affects how we think, feel and perceive the world around us. Any attempt to eradicate that that, could fundamentally change who we are as people - and that doesn't seem moral.

For some reason I'm getting images in my minds eye of how the Borg in Star Trek assimilate people against their will, in order to become part of the collective.

This whole notion of a cure feels quite dystopian to me.

Ed

Hi. Welcome but your theory is flawed and not just because it can't be cured, but you want only people in treatment.

1. In certain areas, only wealthy people can afford treatment, skewing results. The wealthy "tend" to be more educated and will thus have a different idea of "cures" and I am NOT saying they are right or wrong, but just different.

2. People in treatment may NOT even want to be in treatment

3. People not in treatment may WANT to be in treatment.

4. A person form a poor family without insurance may have a different idea of what recovery would be like and might find that the person does just fine on the family business, etc.

5. Treatment can trigger a whole host a extraneous "helpers" who are making decisions for the family that may be force upon threats of removal of child from home which may skew the idea the person in treatment may even have of what is necessary.

I could go on.....

The study is flawed top to bottom, but feel free to stick around and learn more. We like everyone.

There is no cure for neurological development once it has run its course and the CNS has fully differentiated. However, I think assistance at appropriate times in life can mitigate its negative impacts. Case in point is my experiences as a teen and young adult where social dysfunction created PTSD. Had I received appropriate social guidance at the time, much distress may have been avoided.

The last thing I would be looking for would be a cure this time in my life, had a successful career, having a comfortable retirement, having made many right decision previously. why would I want to get assimilated this stage.

I don't need to be original here. I just hit "agree"/ "like" on every answer.
And that's how I feel about that.

Sometimes people say they "just want to help" but, what they really mean is that they themselves feel bad with what they percieve is anothers flaws, and they want to fix them to alleviate their own suffering.
Consider carefully what your real intention is.

As you likely have noticed, this topic hits a nerve within the autistic population. I believe your heart is in the right place, and you’re still young and figuring out the world. I’m not going to fault you for having a misunderstanding. I do recommend that you take everyone’s comment into consideration for your project, especially @Neonatal RRT since they are an educator within the medical field. The epigenetic factors are extremely interesting, and I recommend looking into that, as well.

Autism doesn’t need a “cure.” Different neurotypes are a benefit to the world. I’m sure you see your sister’s struggles and want to help her. Maybe you can focus on what society can provide for those on the autism spectrum instead of finding a cure. Or how neurodiversity can be viewed more positively in society.

If you subscribe to the current prevailing theory that autism is the result of genetics the a cure is currently very unlikely. Treatments continue to be explored but may have more to do with the associated co-morbid elements that often accompany autism.

I have to add that some research may in fact be directed or re-directed towards eugenics, that is 'curing' autism by eliminating it. In fact preventing our birth. But we are not talking about a disease here, but neurodiversity. And while it can mean additional challenges and difficulties it also often means enrichments and abilities we would not wish to give up. And society would be foolish to turn it's back on a population that likely has contributed greatly in many areas of development, knowledge and art.

For some reason people on this forum don't even want to see "autism" and "cure" in the same sentence. I on the other would love to be cured of my autism. Autism is as much of a neurotype as cerebral palsey is.

For some reason people on this forum don't even want to see "autism" and "cure" in the same sentence. I on the other would love to be cured of my autism. Autism is as much of a neurotype as cerebral palsey is.
I think sometimes confusion comes from the fact that there are two separate arguments which are sometimes conflated/rolled into one.
The first one being we should not be considered defective and are of us much value as anyone else and therefore don't need cured. I feel this way however this is more of an opinion and if you don't share that view I'd say your just as entitled to your opinion.
The second one where as I understand it there is not really room for opinion but more interpretation of the science. Would be that never mind if its ethical/we need to be cured or whatever but would it even be possible? I can't see how it would be, as I understand our brains work in some fundamentally different ways rather than a NT brain having some handicap stuck on which just needs the right treatment to get rid off so we can go back to being our true NT self. Its our brain at its core that is ND, its just carrying out those processes differently, not getting in the way of a NT brain trying to carry out those processes "normally".
What I am trying to convey is that I think sometimes the first reason I gave can be a red herring in this discussion, yes many of us would agree with it but as you pointed out some may not and may be left wondering why nobody can accept it, I think the real answer lies in my second point.
By the way I totally empathise with how you feel, if you feel it causes you issues you wish you didn't have then that's how you feel and your 100% not alone.

Last edited:
I think sometimes confusion comes from the fact that there are two separate arguments which are sometimes conflated/rolled into one.
The first one being we should not be considered defective and are of us much value as anyone else and therefore don't need cured. I feel this way however this is more of an opinion and if you don't share that view I'd say your just as entitled to your opinion.
The second one where as I understand it there is not really room for opinion but more interpretation of the science. Would be that never mind if its ethical/we need to be cured or whatever but would it even be possible? I can't see how it would be, as I understand our brains work in some fundamentally different ways rather than a NT brain having some handicap stuck on which just needs the right treatment to get rid off so we can go back to being our true NT self. Its our brain at its core that is ND, its just carrying out those processes differently, not getting in the way of a NT brain trying to carry out those processes "normally".
What I am trying to convey is that I think sometimes the first reason I gave can be a red herring in this discussion, yes many of us would agree with it but as you pointed out some may not and may be left wondering why nobody can accept it, I think the real answer lies in my second point.
By the way I totally empathise with how you feel, it you feel it causes you issues you wish you didn't have then that's how you feel and your 100% not alone.
We are still humans with human brains, i wouldn't say we are fundamentally different. I have yet to hear of a new type of neuron or brain structure that only autistic people have.

You are correct in that assessment,...and I totally respect and am sensitive towards your thoughts on this. As I said above, every one of us is unique, and although most of us do not "suffer" from our autism (we definitely have our difficulties),...some certainly do.

I could elaborate on the "for some reason" part of your comment,...but I think you've been on this forum reading enough posts to understand many of our thoughts.

We are still humans with human brains, i wouldn't say we are fundamentally different. I have yet to hear of a new type of neuron or brain structure that only autistic people have.
I completely agree we're human with with human brains. When I said "fundamentally different" I meant different at the core level of functioning, not "drastically different". I think what I'm trying to say is that autism isn't something stuck on top of a NT brain it just kind of is part of our brain. If you removed all the autism I'm not sure what would be left. If you had to put in a whole new NT brain would that be a cure or just creating a new person?
In terms of a new type of neuron I have to confess I am out of my depth at this point but in the conversation but if you have knowledge I'd be interested to learn.

New Threads

Top Bottom