• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Does my lack of theory of mind contribute to delusional thoughts?

Oz67

I wondered if my history of lack of theory of mind contributed to delusional thoughts.

The first delusion and and second delusions I had throughout my childhood and adolescence until the age of 16.

Throughout my childhood and adolescence, I had a delusion that no one has a face, because I couldn't read facial expressions on time, and my second delusion was that some people were plotting against me, and sometimes became scared and violent when my routine changed, and it made my former prosecutory delusions worse, as I misread people's intentions, due to my history of lack of theory of mind.

One thing that has helped and may help you, is simply ask people what's up. So quick example, you say something, then you think did l say the wrong thing, then you look at their face, you can't tell. JUST ASK THEM. Hey, are you okay? Did l upset you when l said this. Most people will tell you what they think. So you will become a better communicator, because you are asking people for their thought process. So their facial expressions won't matter so much anymore and then you won't go down that no return path.

Or you can ask them, so what is your opinion, or what to you think? Are you sad? Are you okay? Just ask people questions. You will get out of the faceless box that seems to cause you stress.

Violence is not an acceptable way to solve issues. If you have anger issues, then get a punching bag and put it in your room. Martial arts is a great way to channel this energy because you become better at channeling that energy in a productive way. If you live in society, you have to follow those rules.

Last edited:
I wondered if my history of lack of theory of mind contributed to delusional thoughts.

The short answer: YES

When you are lacking in thought towards another's perspective,...and only consider your own,...you risk the chance that you place your values, ethics, morals, dreams, fantasies, fears, thoughts, etc., upon another. Although the autism condition makes it more likely that this occurs,...I think we can all agree that the political and social environment we live in today is a classic societal example of a "lack of theory of mind" on a massive scale.

The short answer: YES

When you are lacking in thought towards another's perspective,...and only consider your own,...you risk the chance that you place your values, ethics, morals, dreams, fantasies, fears, thoughts, etc., upon another. Although the autism condition makes it more likely that this occurs,...I think we can all agree that the political and social environment we live in today is a classic societal example of a "lack of theory of mind" on a massive scale.

That makes sense.

You maybe a pessimist by nature. I tend to be optimistic by nature. Often times people fall into one camp or the other. No way is the right way, it's just where your mind gravitates. You just have to acknowledge l am going down that road, maybe something triggered me, and l need to stop. I need to think of something that made me happy today.

Last edited:
I sometimes have a prosecutory complex, due to sometimes misinterpreting people's intentions and believe that others are plotting against me and I get scared!

Sorry to hear that you feel like this. Some groups of people are persecuted and made to feel less than or only good for one thing. Today my friend apologized for some issues l had with very aggressive drivers tailgating me and that help dispel some of my stress. Do you think you can find some support for therapy from your current medical provider?

Anyways, l have noticed that your posts are a little bit more calm, and you seem to really be looking at your thought process as a younger individual. This really smacks as ***maturity***. It is enlightening to see you step outside and rate your thought process. As human beings, that's all we can do to stay accountable to ourselves!

Sorry to hear that you feel like this. Some groups of people are persecuted and made to feel less than or only good for one thing. Today my friend apologized for some issues l had with very aggressive drivers tailgating me and that help dispel some of my stress. Do you think you can find some support for therapy from your current medical provider?

Anyways, l have noticed that your posts are a little bit more calm, and you seem to really be looking at your thought process as a younger individual. This really smacks as ***maturity***. It is enlightening to see you step outside and rate your thought process. As human beings, that's all we can do to stay accountable to ourselves!

Thank you!

Most of the time I'm relaxing, having fun. Ya know..but sometimes. My paranoid circuits are activated. I might think people are out to betray me or doing things behind my back and things of that nature. I wouldn't call it persecutory though. Just Suspicous.

New Threads

Top Bottom