• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Does anyone like collecting?

That was certainly a lucky catch! :) I do know that they are desirable to collectors. I know that some Star Trek VHS tapes are valuable since they have the original cuts of the movies without modern effects added. The difference with the Star Trek ones are that they will often release the original theatrical cut along with the new improved version as a collectors edition.

But George Lucas basically says "tough luck" and won't let the older versions see a contemporary release. It's kinda like gaslighting your audience in a way and airbrushing film history. So that's why people will pay big bucks for the old VHS versions for safe keeping, if nothing else.

For some strange reason, we recorded all the Star Trek The Next Generation original episodes for several years on VHS. Our old VHS player still works and we have the VHS tapes but no one ever watches those old shows in our household.

For some strange reason, we recorded all the Star Trek The Next Generation original episodes for several years on VHS. Our old VHS player still works and we have the VHS tapes but no one ever watches those old shows in our household.
I suppose they are easily found in their original state on Netflix. Well, pretty much, there is a small difference with the crispness of the images but I seem to be the only person that notices it :)

I'm sure that there will be someone who would love to pour over those recorded to VHS episodes for any mild differences compared to the DVD/Streaming versions and catalogue them all for posterity :)

I collect vintage computers. I hadn't counted exactly how many I have until recently. Turns out I have around 90 computers or games consoles, but I keep on discovering ones I have forgotten about lol! I could start a museum.

I also have quite a few guitars, I own 10. I wish I played them enough to warrant having that many. I used to. It's just not very enjoyable with the aches and pains I get.

I have quite a few vinyl records too, not as many as some avid collectors have, but I think I have around 80-100 LPs.

I also collect electronics components from broken, or way too obsolete appliances. If I find anything at all useful, or possibly useful one day, I will desolder it from the circuit board and store it away in my parts organiser. I actually converted my Japanese Sega Saturn from 110volts to 240volts AC because I was able to repurpose the power supply unit from an old TV set top box. It's crazy to me that people throw these sorts of things in the trash or e-waste!
That reminded me. I also collect pre-electronic computers and calculators. Yes, such things exist. There is nothing quite like watching a Monroe Calculator trying to divide by zero. I am still trying to find an affordable Kurta.

I liked collecting seasonal box sets of The Simpsons until some genius decided not to sell them on DVD any more.

I liked collecting seasonal box sets of The Simpsons until some genius decided not to sell them on DVD any more.
Oh no! Are they only on Blu-ray now? Or do you mean no box sets at all any more?

I just bought the first 10 seasons box sets through eBay. I've been keeping an eye out for the others at CEX etc. but no luck yet. That really sucks if they aren't making them anymore!

I mean, I'm a functional hoarder, I can still cook food in my kitchen and sleep in my bed. Not like those many shows I've seen about hoarders who sometimes can't even use their bathroom and most of the stuff they have is literal garbage.

One thing I've noticed on those shows is that the hoarders mostly seem to have suffered a terrible tragedy and it's like they've tried to stop time from up until that event.

The summer of 2008. I had fun giving away an entire collection of VHS tapes when I moved to Nevada. Put them all in a big box marked with the word, "Enjoy" and left it along the side of my alley way.

It was gone in less than half an hour. Next was my Sony VCR I left in its original box. That went quickly as well.

One I migrated to DVDs, I never wanted to watch another VHS tape on television. And this was before I even bought a widescreen tv. I cringe now whenever I see an old low definition video. Can't even watch them for very long.

Of course my DVD collection grew to nearly three times what I had in VHS and Beta.

Yet do I get all hyped up about formats beyond 1080p resolution? Not at all. LOL....go figure. ;)

Does any autistic not collect something? I have had a lot of collections through my life, but my current ones are radioactive items, pipes, straight rasors, fountain pens, books, horror movies, and hats.

Does any autistic not collect something? I have had a lot of collections through my life, but my current ones are radioactive items, pipes, straight rasors, fountain pens, books, horror movies, and hats.

What kind of radioactive items do you collect?

Oh no! Are they only on Blu-ray now? Or do you mean no box sets at all any more?
No box sets any more, not after season 20.
I just bought the first 10 seasons box sets through eBay. I've been keeping an eye out for the others at CEX etc. but no luck yet. That really sucks if they aren't making them anymore!
I so badly want them to. It isn't fair. I used to get a new Simpsons box set every Christmas and it used to make Christmas so exciting, as on Christmas night I would settle down and watch the never seen before by me episodes. It was something to look forward to.

No box sets any more, not after season 20.

I so badly want them to. It isn't fair. I used to get a new Simpsons box set every Christmas and it used to make Christmas so exciting, as on Christmas night I would settle down and watch the never seen before by me episodes. It was something to look forward to.
I understand how annoying and disappointing it must be! I think it's really silly that they have stopped producing them, particularly after season 20?! Why stop there?!

I was going to collect the boxsets too. I like the idea of having them there whenever I want to watch them. I've mostly been copying the episodes to a hard disk/usb drive because I'm going to build a device that plays the episodes randomly on a loop like my own private TV channel.

I always like watching the Simpsons and if I find myself without anything to do I could just "tune" to the "TV channel" and watch whatever is playing.

It just seems so silly that the only way you can watch the Simpsons will be on streaming services or broadcast TV.

I've been a collector for as long as I can remember, but what I collect has changed over the years: comic books, stamps, first edition books, coins, action figures, camouflage clothing, video games, lead miniatures, WWII militaria, CDs, tarot card decks, Bibles, rosaries, concert t-shirts, boxes, etc., etc.

But once my collection gets too large, I always get the urge to purge it and end up selling/donating my entire collection and starting over. I don't understand it.

I've been working extra hard to thin out some of my collections the past couple of weeks. I'm getting a new desk for my computer sometime in May and I need extra space to move it upstairs into the apartment. I guess it's for the best. My mother said my dad was a real collector too, but I never really noticed since he stored most of it in his tool shed.

I've been working extra hard to thin out some of my collections the past couple of weeks. I'm getting a new desk for my computer sometime in May and I need extra space to move it upstairs into the apartment. I guess it's for the best. My mother said my dad was a real collector too, but I never really noticed since he stored most of it in his tool shed.
Good luck with thinning out some of your collections. I find it challenging to get rid of things that I have attachments to, so I've been trying to do the next best thing and store my collections more efficiently. I think it's kinda going ok. I got lots of those plastic tubs/boxes with lids and I've carefully put things in them. I've quite enjoyed that as I like fitting everything in like a 3D game of Tetris :)

Getting organised is something I like to do but have struggled with in the last few years, so it's nice that I'm doing it a little again. I also have been clearing stuff off my laptop and computers and got loads of hard drive space back. So I've been bitten by the organisation bug a bit again :)

I really hope you manage to get everything sorted out so you can use your new desk and computer! I'm sure it will be all the more fun to use after all the effort you're putting in :)

I went through a time where I collected a lot of woodwind and brass instruments. For some of them I legitimately thought "I want to play this!" (perhaps it's my ADHD, but I've been through more than one instrument in my time of playing music...), but others I just picked up, just because. >.<

I have a lot, almost a full wind ensemble's worth (in terms of one of each, I mean). Especially the woodwinds, of the stereotypical woodwinds you may find in the Wind Ensemble the ones I lack are baritone saxophone, piccolo, euphonium, and tuba.

My username itself is actually a reference to this. A bit obscure of a reference to the use of the word "Harmonie or HarmonieMusik" to refer to a woodwind/brass section or small ensemble so it is likely to be missed by everyone. 😅

Otherwise, I'm a collector of G1 and G3 My Little Pony toys. My collection is significantly smaller than many collectors, though. If I were to size it up, I'd say an alto saxophone case's worth of them. I can say this because I just packed all of them for a move and approximately 90% of them fit into a box about that size.

I have a few collections: vinyl (both LP's and 7" singles), cassettes, jigsaw puzzles, board games, and a modest retro video game collection.

Books, clothes, rocks and crystals. I also like cute cushions, doilies (I use them on clothing) yarns for clothing projects, art supplies, musical equipment. I would like to collect plants but I don't drive and that makes it too hard at present. I'm starting to collect a bit of art work as well.
Sigh. I'm such a girl.

New Threads

Top Bottom