• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Does anyone like collecting?

received_577429323018350.jpeg
What bug is this, is it real?

lion king collect.jpg

Oh yes, always collecting something. One of my collection nooks. Stamps, paper money and Lion King Trading cards and stickers.

Books (I have thousands), antique picture frames, old family photos from the 1800s, genealogical information, egg cups, and souvenir spoons. I have quite a few of my original childhood toys too.

Regarding my book collection I also collect multiple editions of the same book. For example I have about 40 editions of the five novels by Charlotte and Emily Brontë. (And more doubles from Anne and Branwell.)

What bug is this, is it real?
Yes it is, from the Devonian of Morocco. It is Walliserops trifurcatus and that trident coming out from its head was probably useless for feeding, and like the horns of a rhinoceras beetle was probably used in sexual competition.

Populations that undergo such sexual selection are usually dimorphic, with the physiology of the two sexes being different. There is an animal contemporary to this (found in the same formation) that has a very short trident, but given the species Walliserops tridens. I talked with a curator at the Smithsonian and they agree that tridens is probably the female, but proving that is not easy.

Oh but it's a fossil, I thought it was a living creature and was about to add it to my nope list lol

I have had the collecting bug since I was 16 and bought my first hardcover book. The problem with being an avid collector of things of interest is that they eventually can become a problem after 60 years of it. I have hundreds of signed first editions along with many hundreds more that were bought for pleasure. There was an artist that was very active in SoCal back in the 70s. His name was Jim Rumph and I have two of his mugs/tankards: The larger of the two is an extremely rare version of his popular King Kong Mug that was made specifically for the release of the Dino De Laurentiis remake. It is rare because at the bottom of the tankard is a small female figure that is cowering, looking up, and her dress is politely disheveled. The makers stamp on the bottom indicates it is from Slyme Factory. The other is a smaller mug with an alien theme with a boldly emblazoned legend SCI*FI FREAK. (I should probably have just snapped some quick pics but could not be bothered). You can find pictures of his work on the internet.

I also have an enormous record collection that has become very heavy to move but carries much history. I also have hundreds and hundreds of CDs, DVDs, and Blu Rays. Many of those have been rendered unnecessary by streaming, but there are still a significant number that you cannot find there.

I have a pair of collectable dolls that I hang onto because they were given to me by my mother. They are a matched set of W. C. Fields and Mae West.

I could go on and on but I am going to stop before I become tedious.

**Stuff - 2 much Stuff**

I do but I have not started a lot yet.
Stamps, retro cards, stickers, figurines, souvenirs, little visual things I find or get, plushies to a degree, mugs I'm not sure exactly everything I would collect but I have enjoyed starting.

You could even collect classic books or retro magazines or comics.
I have had collections of things I was unaware were collections. For example, one day a bottle cap caught my eye. I picked it up and put it somewhere. Another time another bottle cap had an interesting design. This continued to happen once in a while, and after a time I suddenly realized I had a bottle cap collection. As a geologist, of course, I have the requisite mineral, rock, and fossil collections. I also have a collection of meteorites and related material, since impact structures and effects are an interest of mine. Sometimes when things got boring, I would make up sarcastic advertisements. Part of one was "Consider becoming a geologist. You will accumulate an impressive collection of rocks, minerals, fossils and tropical diseases, some of them unknown to medical science." You may have to be an exploration geologist (or have listened to a lot of their stories) to really appreciate that one. We tend to develop a weird sense of humor.

I also have swords and knives (no tourist souvenirs), navigational instruments, ship coins, maps, space art, ethnic art (for want of a better description), and assorted junk that will probably remain unclassified (which might be considered a collection in itself).

Last edited:
I have had the collecting bug since I was 16 and bought my first hardcover book. The problem with being an avid collector of things of interest is that they eventually can become a problem after 60 years of it. I have hundreds of signed first editions along with many hundreds more that were bought for pleasure. There was an artist that was very active in SoCal back in the 70s. His name was Jim Rumph and I have two of his mugs/tankards: The larger of the two is an extremely rare version of his popular King Kong Mug that was made specifically for the release of the Dino De Laurentiis remake. It is rare because at the bottom of the tankard is a small female figure that is cowering, looking up, and her dress is politely disheveled. The makers stamp on the bottom indicates it is from Slyme Factory. The other is a smaller mug with an alien theme with a boldly emblazoned legend SCI*FI FREAK. (I should probably have just snapped some quick pics but could not be bothered). You can find pictures of his work on the internet.

I also have an enormous record collection that has become very heavy to move but carries much history. I also have hundreds and hundreds of CDs, DVDs, and Blu Rays. Many of those have been rendered unnecessary by streaming, but there are still a significant number that you cannot find there.

I have a pair of collectable dolls that I hang onto because they were given to me by my mother. They are a matched set of W. C. Fields and Mae West.

I could go on and on but I am going to stop before I become tedious.

**Stuff - 2 much Stuff**
That sounds cool, you are an amazing woman.
I love if I ever got to go to someone's house and they were a collector and had movie merch and many records, dvds, cds etc. It would be fun but I do not know if they would let me borrow them.
I may just stay forever watching movies on their giant couch and never leave.
They could make me cool drinks and serve me little cakes

I love collecting tea cups. I think they’re so neat and cool to look at. I can’t help but wonder where each was made and what they have seen. My grandpa loves to collect old coins.

I collect vintage computers. I hadn't counted exactly how many I have until recently. Turns out I have around 90 computers or games consoles, but I keep on discovering ones I have forgotten about lol! I could start a museum.

I also have quite a few guitars, I own 10. I wish I played them enough to warrant having that many. I used to. It's just not very enjoyable with the aches and pains I get.

I have quite a few vinyl records too, not as many as some avid collectors have, but I think I have around 80-100 LPs.

I also collect electronics components from broken, or way too obsolete appliances. If I find anything at all useful, or possibly useful one day, I will desolder it from the circuit board and store it away in my parts organiser. I actually converted my Japanese Sega Saturn from 110volts to 240volts AC because I was able to repurpose the power supply unit from an old TV set top box. It's crazy to me that people throw these sorts of things in the trash or e-waste!

I used to collect cassette tapes for some odd reason. I got heavy into harsh noise music (yeah, that's unfortunately a real genre) with a touch of vaporwave and drone-fever and just had to own all sorts of box set CDs and limited-run cassettes. After about a year I had a, "What am I doing with my life right now?" thought and just got rid of it all.

I've been accused by my wife of collecting computer parts and electronic components, but it's much less of a collection to me and more of a practical use-case. Mostly for educational reasons on the latter one, and because a lot of people rely on me to fix their sick computers and I have to have parts on hand. Otherwise, I don't really care too much about possessions, just about the function and what I can do with them. I don't really put them in a case and admire them, they're just kind of jammed underneath my desk or in jars, respectively.

I used to collect cassette tapes for some odd reason. I got heavy into harsh noise music (yeah, that's unfortunately a real genre) with a touch of vaporwave and drone-fever and just had to own all sorts of box set CDs and limited-run cassettes. After about a year I had a, "What am I doing with my life right now?" thought and just got rid of it all.

I've been accused by my wife of collecting computer parts and electronic components, but it's much less of a collection to me and more of a practical use-case. Mostly for educational reasons on the latter one, and because a lot of people rely on me to fix their sick computers and I have to have parts on hand. Otherwise, I don't really care too much about possessions, just about the function and what I can do with them. I don't really put them in a case and admire them, they're just kind of jammed underneath my desk or in jars, respectively.
I work at a thrift store and someone donated a whole set of VHS tapes that had the entire stars wars movies on them. I know those are worth some money. I was surprised that someone just donated them instead of getting the bag. We also get a lot of old cds, cassette tapes, and old cd players.

I work at a thrift store and someone donated a whole set of VHS tapes that had the entire stars wars movies on them.
If they are originals they may be actually very valuable!

I'm not a Star Wars fan but I know that the only way you can view the original films complete with the original special effects is on VHS. Apparently George Lucas has hacked up the original films to include new special effects to such a degree that fans of the series say it's been detrimental to them.

It's great that movies get special releases with improved effects that fit the director's vision at the time they were made but were basically impossible to implement. But it does seem a shame that you can't see them as they were originally made.

So may be worth checking their value before you price them for sale! :)

If they are originals they may be actually very valuable!

I'm not a Star Wars fan but I know that the only way you can view the original films complete with the original special effects is on VHS. Apparently George Lucas has hacked up the original films to include new special effects to such a degree that fans of the series say it's been detrimental to them.

It's great that movies get special releases with improved effects that fit the director's vision at the time they were made but were basically impossible to implement. But it does seem a shame that you can't see them as they were originally made.

So may be worth checking their value before you price them for sale! :)
I’m glad we had a VHS player on the same day. My grandpa played them to see if they worked. I don’t know if someone bought them already. Things like that go quick. Someone was just going to throw them away and my grandpa was like no don’t do that they are worth money. It’s crazy to think that was sitting in someone’s basement. When we get high price items, they go on a special eBay page. I bet there was a bidding war.

I collect windup record players and all the records for them, but am trying to get out of the hobby and just keep some to listen to instead of collect.

I did collect fountain pens and typewriters. They are addicting but they somehow leave one with less time to write.

Books? Oh absolutely.

Vintage clothes, somewhat.

Antique phones, yes. I need to get them working again though.

Looks like I collect projects mostly.

I’m glad we had a VHS player on the same day. My grandpa played them to see if they worked. I don’t know if someone bought them already. Things like that go quick. Someone was just going to throw them away and my grandpa was like no don’t do that they are worth money. It’s crazy to think that was sitting in someone’s basement. When we get high price items, they go on a special eBay page. I bet there was a bidding war.
That was certainly a lucky catch! :) I do know that they are desirable to collectors. I know that some Star Trek VHS tapes are valuable since they have the original cuts of the movies without modern effects added. The difference with the Star Trek ones are that they will often release the original theatrical cut along with the new improved version as a collectors edition.

But George Lucas basically says "tough luck" and won't let the older versions see a contemporary release. It's kinda like gaslighting your audience in a way and airbrushing film history. So that's why people will pay big bucks for the old VHS versions for safe keeping, if nothing else.

That was certainly a lucky catch! :) I do know that they are desirable to collectors. I know that some Star Trek VHS tapes are valuable since they have the original cuts of the movies without modern effects added. The difference with the Star Trek ones are that they will often release the original theatrical cut along with the new improved version as a collectors edition.

But George Lucas basically says "tough luck" and won't let the older versions see a contemporary release. It's kinda like gaslighting your audience in a way and airbrushing film history. So that's why people will pay big bucks for the old VHS versions for safe keeping, if nothing else.
I didn't know he did that. The original versions were historically significant; why play the auteur and mutilate the most famous science fiction film of all time?

I didn't know he did that. The original versions were historically significant; why play the auteur and mutilate the most famous science fiction film of all time?
I'm not sure what his thinking is really. It's almost like he's embarrassed by them.

Having said that, there's an awful lot of musicians doing similar things with autotune to their historic recordings. It's been happening with the Eagles. They autotuned a performance from the 70s and basically unless you have an old CD or record or something like that, you can't hear the original performance!

New Threads

Top Bottom