• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Does anybody else absolutely hate the term "aspie(s)"

I don't know how I feel about it, I find it to be a little too cutesy or even demeaning. How do you feel about it? ...or maybe give me some perspective on it so I can feel better and not be annoyed at the term? haha, thanks!
Hello, As an NT, I get the notion that only people who suffer from this condition actually use the word 'Aspie'. Others might but only because it has first been triggered by regular users.

Hello, As an NT, I get the notion that only people who suffer from this condition actually use the word 'Aspie'. Others might but only because it has first been triggered by regular users.

And yet, few people "suffer" from the condition anywhere near as much as they suffer from the stigma.

Personally I consider those who are classically autistic to be "neurological first cousins".

So I'm ok with being considered on a common spectrum of autism, although I occupy a different place along its path. It's all good. :)

Actually, I like the term "Aspie" and use it fairly regularly. I think its because of my Dad, who laughs every time I say "Asperger's" (he thinks Ass-burgers). If I say Aspie, they now what I mean and don't laugh at the name of the condition. Also, I don't really consider myself "autistic", even though I know Asperger's is on the spectrum. I have Asperger's, not Autism. My friends in Special Education and psychology backgrounds understand this distinction. Lastly, "Aspie" is much easier to both type and say. It just kind of rolls off the tongue and gives a very specific idea of a distinct set of traits that is different than classic autism. So yes, I like the term "Aspie" and use it regularly, even though it is an abbreviation of a no-longer-clinically-recognized disorder.

I have always quite liked the term Aspie and was looking forward to using it after I got my formal diagnosis. It's kind of cute it's true, but not offensive.

I was actually diagnosed with autism rather than Asperger's (because I didn't speak until I was 3), although on the surface I appear to be a typical Aspie. Unfortunately, I will never be able to use the term.

Which brings me to my other point...

Anybody who believes that because they have been diagnosed with Asperger's rather than autism they are somehow kind of special, a bit sparkly, a bit glamorous are talking absolute nonsense.
According to both the DSM-4 and the ICD-10, a diagnosis of Autism rather than Asperger's must be given if you had delayed speech development when you were a child, but this has nothing to do with your current language abilities. You could be a professor of linguistics and still have a diagnosis of autism.

The comment from Judge "Personally I consider those who are classically autistic to be "neurological first cousins" is rather unpleasant, not to mention inaccurate. It's almost like implying that the relationship that Asperger's has to Autism is akin to the relationship that humans have to chimpanzees on the evolutionary scale.

This impression is further enhanced by the statement "So I'm OK with being considered on a common spectrum of autism, although I occupy a different place upon it's path"

Ronin82 states that "I don't really consider myself autistic" and "I have Asperger's not Autism. My friends in Special Education and psychology backgrounds understand this distinction". I would suggest that your friends go back and do a bit more revision, starting with the text of the DSM-4 and the ICD-10.

AHJohn states "I...am very proud of being high achieving - so I am ASPERGIAN". Sorry, to break it to you, but the fact that someone is high achieving doesn't mean that they have Asperger's.

Sorry, for hijacking the thread a bit, but I'm not going to sit back and let people imply that I (and other Autistic people) am inferior to those with Asperger's without saying something about it. It's bad enough to have to listen to people's prejudiced and ignorant opinions, but it's impossible to ignore when these opinions are based on factual inaccuracy.

Anyway - rant over.

The comment from Judge "Personally I consider those who are classically autistic to be "neurological first cousins" is rather unpleasant, not to mention inaccurate. It's almost like implying that the relationship that Asperger's has to Autism is akin to the relationship that humans have to chimpanzees on the evolutionary scale.

Frankly I can't think of anyone who would initially default to evolution over the term "first cousin". I guess there's a first time for everything. :rolleyes:

Obviously none of my first cousins are chimpanzees. But they are family. My point being that those with ASD or classic autism are figuratively in the same family so to speak, on a common spectrum. It's just an analogy and not intended to be a concise, scientific explanation. Especially over a thread debating a slang term not created with scientific intent. Perspective!

When we discuss distinctions within the Neurodiverse community, rest assured we are talking only about the neurology of human beings and no other species.

Though admittedly at times I suspect some people think we can be programmed like Pavlov's Dog. :eek:

Last edited:
It's hardly surprising that most members here don't have a problem with the term, it's part of the name of this site. There are plenty of other similar sites where the term is not part of the site name.

The name of the site does not tell you peoples opinion about the term aspie, therefore the thread can't be pointless. If someone posts a question they have the thread is not pointless if it gives them an answer to their question.

While it does not tell you the people's opinion (which people?), it does suggest that the site is not recommended for those who really don't like the term, and this doesn't just mean anyone who doesn't use the term. Think of it this way; Why put the term "aspie" in the name of your site if you want it to appeal to anyone who doesn't like the term?

Think of it this way; Why put the term "aspie" in the name of your site if you want it to appeal to anyone who doesn't like the term?

Stands to reason given the term itself is some 18 years old. I suppose if there was truly broad dissent to it we or others would have discussed it much earlier than the creation of this thread.

This is the first I've noticed that much of anyone cared one way or another. The one issue I've seen debated many times here is over the term autism in conjunction with Asperger's Syndrome. An issue pretty much out of our hands in the US given the DSM-V transition of Aspergers Syndrome to Autism Spectrum Disorder back in 2013.

At least it was someone on the spectrum who came up with the term.

Last edited:
Whoa! None of my first cousins are chimpanzees. But they are family. That's not only unpleasant and inaccurate, but just plain insulting. :rolleyes:

I only meant that those with ASD or classic autism are in the same family so to speak. It's just an analogy. Not a scientific explanation.

Similarly, I consider NTs to be neurologically speaking like second or third cousins, but I mean that figuratively not taxonomically.

Frankly I can't think of anyone who would initially default to evolution over the term "first cousin". I guess there's a first time for everything. :rolleyes:

Obviously none of my first cousins are chimpanzees. But they are family. My point being that those with ASD or classic autism are figuratively in the same family so to speak, on a common spectrum. It's just an analogy and not intended to be a concise, scientific explanation. Especially over a thread debating a slang term not created with scientific intent. Perspective!

When we discuss distinctions within the Neurodiverse community, rest assured we are talking only about the neurology of human beings and no other species.

Though admittedly at times I suspect some people think we can be programmed like Pavlov's Dog. :eek:

Although you state correctly that Asperger's, ASD and classic autism are on the same spectrum, it is obvious from the language that you use that you consider people with 'classical autism' to be distinct from those who have Asperger's.

You chose to use the words "first cousins", why not "brothers and sisters"? By choosing the words "first cousins" to describe those with classic autism, you are purposefully distancing yourself from them . The idea that Asperger's and 'classic autism' are related but distinct and separate is simply not true.

Although you state correctly that Asperger's, ASD and classic autism are on the same spectrum, it is obvious from the language that you use that you consider people with 'classical autism' to be distinct from those who have Asperger's.

You chose to use the words "first cousins", why not "brothers and sisters"? By choosing the words "first cousins" to describe those with classic autism, you are purposefully distancing yourself from them . The idea that Asperger's and 'classic autism' are related but distinct and separate is simply not true.
i agree i do think some aspies purposely distances themselves from us [classical autists/auties] its probably because classic autism has rarely been 'promoted' as a high functioning form where adult auties are no different to adult aspies;they would only look different in toddler development.
as a low functioning autist, i am like a very complex and stronger form of aspergers but i also feel i relate to aspies in lots of ways if they give me a chance to express myself,so part of me is different [eg, my lifelong speech and language impairment, my mild intellectual disability,my complex severe sometimes challenging behaviors that im unaware of showing in public-whereas aspies are very concious of that,my near constant total disconnection to anything outside my own mind,my need for 24/7 constant support,my inability to function with any task independantly, my inability to see humans as seperate unique objects etc] but i relate in ways like my profound affinity with computers and animals,my thinking is more on aspie level than with profoundly autistic people but i relate to them as well.

although i didnt have an issue with what judge said,it didnt mean anything offensive to me,i just saw it as judge saying he thinks we are related just not so close.
there is incredible vile disablist thinking against classic autism, i know its youtube but-if you look on BBC3s what not to say to an autistic comments section-a ton of it is abuse towards those of us who are classic autistic,even more so LFA,many aspies seem offended to be related to us,in that sense i dont know why they even bothered to get assessed for aspergers if they feel they had no connection to autism,they need to like it or not;but aspergers is almost exactly the same as high functioning classic autism- one criteria-ie a significant speech delay is what seperates them.

You chose to use the words "first cousins", why not "brothers and sisters"?

That works too I suppose. However they are quite literally relative terms. Members of the same family, but two technically different neurological conditions.

Though personally I thought of a metaphor of first cousins mostly because of the reality of it relative to my own family. I'm certain two of my cousins are on the spectrum as well as myself. One a first cousin, the other a second cousin. My parents and one brother are all Neurotypical.

If you stick around in this community, you'll see any number of posts made by me that refers to "my autism". So I'm hardly in a position to be disparaging about it whether one is considered classically autistic or has Autism Spectrum Disorder.

As I said, we're all part of the same family. Especially given the existing protocols of the DSM-V. It's not any kind of slight on my part. Please do not further insinuate anything to the contrary.

Last edited:
I think of my mother's sister's daughter as my first cousin.

Oddly enough I have two second cousins who I grew up with and consider for better or worse "my sisters". Some of the very few relatives who kept up with us given how often we moved as my father was in the military. Though one of them is constantly at odds with me over autism in general. The other passed away from cancer in 1997.

So it's all a matter of perspective for some of us when it comes to bloodlines. Not so much any kind of social hierarchy etched in stone.

Last edited:
if you look on BBC3s what not to say to an autistic comments section-a ton of it is abuse towards those of us who are classic autistic

A lot of the unfriendly comments seemed to begin something like "my brother has LFA…" and complain about how many more supports their autistic family member needed compared with the people in the video (although who knows what they needed to function) and so on. But it's true that most anti-autism propaganda targets classical and low-functioning autistics.

Last edited:
That works too I suppose. However they are quite literally relative terms. Members of the same family, but two technically different neurological conditions.

Though personally I thought of a metaphor of first cousins mostly because of the reality of it relative to my own family. I'm certain two of my cousins are on the spectrum as well as myself. One a first cousin, the other a second cousin. My parents and one brother are all Neurotypical.

If you stick around in this community, you'll see any number of posts made by me that refers to "my autism". So I'm hardly in a position to be disparaging about it whether one is considered classically autistic or has Autism Spectrum Disorder.

As I said, we're all part of the same family. Especially given the existing protocols of the DSM-V. It's not any kind of slight on my part. Please do not further insinuate anything to the contrary.

I've obvious upset you Judge and I apologise for that, however I can only comment on what I read. You still state that [Asperger's and Autism] are "two technically different neurological conditions", which is something I don't agree with. As you mention, the protocols of the DSM-5 don't agree with you either.

I've obvious upset you Judge and I apologise for that, however I can only comment on what I read. You still state that [Asperger's and Autism] are "two technically different neurological conditions", which is something I don't agree with. As you mention, the protocols of the DSM-5 don't agree with you either.

Classic autism remains a separate distinction, within Autism Spectrum Disorders. As does PDD-NOS and ASD (Aspergers Syndrome) itself. Probably the diagnostic processes are somewhat different as well in isolating whatever forms of autism one may have.

One can choose to make analogies of such distinctions in many ways. Brothers, sisters or first cousins...whatever. Nitpick all you want over sisters versus first cousins, but it's not something to seriously consider disparaging. I hold family dear to me, warts and all. Neither my first cousins- or yours are comparable to apes.

My whole point was simply that we are all equal here, no matter how one chooses to define or validate their neurological profile. We still all belong to the same family, regardless of our vast and differing traits, behaviors or neurological distinctions. A message far more important than a petty argument over an analogy citing the different groups within Autism Spectrum Disorders. Otherwise we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Nuff said. Let's get back to the very unscientific term "Aspie".

Last edited:
I like saying "aspie" instead of "asperger". I always say asperger with the wrong 'g' sound, never knowing if it sounds like g as in purge or g as in burger and usually saying it twice to get it right for the listener. How did Asperger pronounce his own name?
Aspie is short and sweet.
However, I prefer the sound of asper-sister/girl than aspie-sister/girl :)

New Threads

Top Bottom