• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Does anybody else absolutely hate the term "aspie(s)"

The name of the site does not tell you peoples opinion about the term aspie, therefore the thread can't be pointless. If someone posts a question they have the thread is not pointless if it gives them an answer to their question.

But it does suggest that this site, as opposed to other similar sites where the term is not part of the site name, is not recommended for those who truly loathe the term in question.

If you don't like the term that's part of this site's name, why join it rather than another similar site where the term is not part of the name?

because its just a name. or word. or term. its no more or less important than any other name here. i don't mind it, and tis not important enough to fight about.

Aspie is a term most of us use to avoid spelling out "Asperger's Syndrome" each time we write. For those who don't type 120 wpm, that's a pretty big word.

If you show stereotypical signs of Asperger's and your friends or family (or therapists, etc.) use the term, it's a diagnosis. Just like someone who is "legally blind," can often see "a little."

There are some traits shared by many people with the same issues, which are symptoms or keystones of the diagnosis. It's not a "label," unless you choose to make it one by using it (or being offended by it).

Almost every Aspies is different -- even in highly professional, well-paying positions. Some are more functional than others, and if someone wishes to share a diagnosis with someone else, that's their prerogative.

However, when you are socializing with others on the ASD spectrum, they often use it (Aspie) because it's a separate "area" of the spectrum.

If you don't like the word, you don't have to use it. BUT, to many of us (even if it's just to speed up typing speed), it helps us identify others who need advice or support (and doesn't slow down the typing speed).

I don't know how I feel about it, I find it to be a little too cutesy or even demeaning. How do you feel about it? ...or maybe give me some perspective on it so I can feel better and not be annoyed at the term? haha, thanks!
I--am very proud of being high achieving-so I am 'ASPERGIAN'!!Litist so and so that Iam!

Personally I consider those who are classically autistic to be "neurological first cousins".

So I'm ok with being considered on a common spectrum of autism, although I occupy a different place along its path. It's all good. :)

Last edited:
I am Aspie proud as well, its who I am. And I see the DSM written by bean counters trying to save insurance companies money. My therapist told me never to be ashamed of who I am! Your Aspie she said, own it, its who you are. I have done just that. P.S. and in honor of the work of Dr Asperger, there will be my version of his medical office on my outdoor garden railway. Mike

I don't know how I feel about it, I find it to be a little too cutesy or even demeaning. How do you feel about it? ...or maybe give me some perspective on it so I can feel better and not be annoyed at the term? haha, thanks!
I am an aspie, I don't use the term my wife and I are both aspies and when we spot others we call them spectrum people as we don't know were they are on the spectrum, they may be full aspie, they might just have aspie traits. I do like the term in the sense it is agreed upon bit of slang that works to find information and each other afterwhich we can decide between each other if we want to use extra labels or not. I tend to use people's names or slang names rather than calling them Mr Aspie Tom sir etc for example.

I'm HFA diagnosed but this is close to Aspergers on the spectrum I have heard. How close, who knows, how long is a piece of string? But if I had Aspergers I am saying I don't think I would find Aspie as a term objectionable.

Personally, I like it. But, I'm autistic, so I use 'autie' obviously. I've always enjoyed labels and such, and having something that's cutesy is just kind of my aesthetic. I can certainly see why someone might find it patronizing or something similar, though.

It reminds me of the aspen tree, which is known for trembling. I like to think it's stimming.

No particular feelings either way about the word. As with many other words, it just is.

Last edited:
If I hated the word aspie I'd still be on this forum because so far it's the best autism/aspergers forum I have found. I actually don't mind the word aspie, though since the DSM-V dumped aspergers I refer to myself as autistic about half the time. At least the new criteria includes sensory issues. As for NT/allistics, they rarely understand what any of the terms mean so I don't worry about that aspect of it at all.

I don't mind the term aspie, but its almost seemed kind of childish to me. I always thought that if I were to use a shortened version of aspergers I would use "Asper" because its a play on the word esper, which means someone with psychic powers.

I've heard and been called a LOT worse when describing people with AS.

So it's not a problem to me.

I can take it or leave it. I won't go so far as to say I really like it but at the same time it doesn't matter if I do or not. It exists. The bad thing is that you can't have it as an 'ic', like autistic, diabetic, etc. The good thing is that it is only ours and no one else's. It is only those of us with AS that can claim to be an Aspie.

Was it a literal request when you asked for tips on how to not be annoyed at it? If so the best I can think of is to accept that it exists and you will probably be called it and you can't do a thing about other people's choosing to use that word. It is their choice, the same as it is your choice on what word you use.

New Threads

Top Bottom