• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Does anybody else absolutely hate the term "aspie(s)"

Oh, I guess I will delete my account then, I'm not sure how though? I'm new here, can you tell me how to delete my account?
dont go-you are needed and valued here as newblood to the community.
its not up to anyone else to sway your view,and its wrong of regular members to push authorative opinions on fellow aspies/auties.

aspiescentral is just a name,i am autie,not aspie and when i first saw the name i thought itd be cliquey and only accomodate the thoughts of aspies but in reality i find it to be the best community for people all over the spectrum and theres no arseholes trolling the place.
i just ignore the name 'aspies central' as im sure the other non aspie autists and NTs/self diagnosed do,itd be a big shame to ignore the best ASD community on the internet because of a name.

Names like this do serve an important purpose in encouraging people to identify with sites like this. I chose to look in here because of the name: Perhaps there would be other people like me, interested in the same things, with similar views, a good standard of writing and maybe even some interesting ideas... Aspies Central certainly has not disappointed... As far as my own preference - I tend towards the more formal and encompassing 'Autist' but this is little used in online shenanigans, and seems to be consigned to the more archaic psychology tomes that are occasionally quoted here and there...

They are just words after all - it's those other less thoughtful types who turn them into labels...

If someone truly dislikes the term (as opposed to having no problem with the term but not using it) they may as well not like the name of this site.

I don't know how I feel about it, I find it to be a little too cutesy or even demeaning. How do you feel about it? ...or maybe give me some perspective on it so I can feel better and not be annoyed at the term? haha, thanks!
I wish I could help you, but I share your feelings. I don't find it demeaning, but I do find it jejune, cloying, grating, and, as you say, cutesy. However, I don't have a snappy alternative, and I don't think it's going to go away anytime soon, so I deal with it.

If someone truly dislikes the term (as opposed to having no problem with the term but not using it) they may as well not like the name of this site.
Myrtonos, to a degree, you're right: I don't like the name of the site. But, think of it this way, I loathe the colour turquoise, but if I needed a car, and the only car I could get was painted turquoise, I would buy it, use it and be grateful that I had it. Same with this forum, I don't like the, inconsequential, name but I am quite happy to use it and I'm grateful it's here.

Does that help?

Actually, I like the term "Aspie" and use it fairly regularly. I think its because of my Dad, who laughs every time I say "Asperger's" (he thinks Ass-burgers). If I say Aspie, they now what I mean and don't laugh at the name of the condition. Also, I don't really consider myself "autistic", even though I know Asperger's is on the spectrum. I have Asperger's, not Autism. My friends in Special Education and psychology backgrounds understand this distinction. Lastly, "Aspie" is much easier to both type and say. It just kind of rolls off the tongue and gives a very specific idea of a distinct set of traits that is different than classic autism. So yes, I like the term "Aspie" and use it regularly, even though it is an abbreviation of a no-longer-clinically-recognized disorder.

Oh, I guess I will delete my account then, I'm not sure how though? I'm new here, can you tell me how to delete my account?
Hey, don't delete your account. You came here for a reason. Your statement made sense to me and should be understood given this site is full of concrete thinkers. Push through to find and give good. We need everyone here. We need you!

The word "Aspie" is a word that's used to refer to us. However, the word "Aspie" doesn't mean anything to most people. Maybe we need to come up with another name to re-brand ourselves with.

Aspiescentral is just the name of the website; it's not important. This is a website for all of autism. You could call this website "AutismForums.com" and that would be accurate.

At this point it is a personal preference, and no more.

If we get crowds of brownshirts beating up on people with autism while using the word as a slur... that would be different.

...to a degree, you're right: I don't like the name of the site. But, think of it this way, I loathe the colour turquoise, but if I needed a car, and the only car I could get was painted turquoise, I would buy it, use it and be grateful that I had it. Same with this forum, I don't like the, inconsequential, name but I am quite happy to use it and I'm grateful it's here.

But there are other similar sites, such as Asperclick and Wrong Plant, where the word 'aspie' is not part of the name.

Aspiescentral is just the name of the website; it's not important. This is a website for all of autism. You could call this website "AutismForums.com" and that would be accurate.

Names of websites do make statements. There are other Asperger community forums which do not have 'aspie' in their names. If 'aspie' is part of the name, it is saying that this site is for those who don't loathe the term.

Last edited:
I'm pretty indifferent to the term,most people in real life don't know i am on the spectrum and I don't really like to tell someone unless it's on a need to know basis but my husband calls me "sperg" sometimes.

I'm pretty indifferent to the term,most people in real life don't know i am on the spectrum and I don't really like to tell someone unless it's on a need to know basis but my husband calls me "sperg" sometimes.

No one would have called you that before you were diagnosed. Could it be that most people you know personally don't know recognise the symptoms you have as such?

Myrtonos I meant after my diagnosis but no one has asked me but I rather not tell people.

Myrtonos, on the one hand, in going over this again, I don't wish to create the idea that I want or need to convince you of anything, let alone change your mind. On the other hand, I don't wish to seem rude by ignoring you. So...

If 'aspie' is part of the name, it is saying that this site is for those who don't loathe the term.

Your logic is, sad to say, faulty. That I am a member of a forum with the word "aspie" in the title does not imply that I like the word. It doesn't even imply that I like the forum; maybe I'm here because a therapist told me to join, for example.

As it so happens, I do like the forum. The use of the word "aspie" in the title is a mere trifle to me, especially compared to the benefits gained by being here. See, even an aspie like me can learn to adapt and compromise!

I know you like the forum, but why adapt and compromise if you could gain the same benefits on another site where "aspie" is not part of the site name?

I like it. Personally I've never heard NTs who use autism as a way to insult use "aspie", they tend to comment "autism" on something they dislike or say "that's autistic as ****", or something equally stupid.

But even if it is being used in a negative way, it doesn't bother me. I don't care about the opinions of the ones who have sunk that low.

Don't delete your account, that's silly. Ignore what Myrtonos said, there is no reason for you to stop posting because you dislike a word.

I know you like the forum, but why adapt and compromise if you could gain the same benefits on another site where "aspie" is not part of the site name?

There is no site exactly like this one. Why give up on the entire site over one word?

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom