• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Does anybody else absolutely hate the term "aspie(s)"

"People of an alike kind don't need such verbage so much to identify themselves or each other. On the other hand those who sense we are different in some way do need some kind of common way to reference it."

OK, I totally agree with your above referenced statement. BUT it makes NO sense as a response to my original question.

If WE don't need such terminology to identify OURSELVES (and I agree that we don't) ... AND, supposedly, only "others" really need such terminology to identify us
... then WHY is this obnoxious, diminutive term "aspies" being applied to us OVERWHELMINGLY by others LIKE us on sites FOR us?

In other words ... I don't see this term floating all over the neurotypical world (because, quite frankly, most of them have little to no awareness of us). I DO, however, see the term used ALL OVER sites for us, by us.
I think that it's fine. If you don't include Asperger's and HFA with LFA then it has a positiveish connotation. I'll some up my definition of aspies, a group of people with mildly to severely impaired social skills and average to well above average IQ's. There, was that a negative definition? Honestly, just because a word is short doesn't mean it's bad. Genius has the same # of letter as aspies.

Love it. Short, sharp, to the point. Can't stand it when people refer to it with a british accent and say "arse burgers". Gugh.

"Aspies" - we can love the label or hate it, but we need something to make it easier to talk to each other to discuss what we have in common. Aspies is a lot easier to say or keyboard than other jargon.

I happen to feel good about the Aspies name because it is how I first came to begin to understand and accept this collection of abilities, traits, and problems that came with my package.

Aspies was described as a word invented by Aspies and that makes me like it even more.
I agree. Also for me, when I was in a really dark place, to be diagnosed with aspergers and be told to go to the "aspie" community meant only brilliant things to me. "Aspie" was one of the first words I had to really start to explain who I am, and so it helped to lift the darkness a little. To me, it just marked the start of an understanding community that would welcome me. So, I suppose someone's perspective on the term, could be about how they came across it in the first place?

Love it. Short, sharp, to the point. Can't stand it when people refer to it with a british accent and say "arse burgers". Gugh.

Where comparisons meet :

British accent versus what americans eat.

Although,if it was truly British, it would be called 'bottom burgers'

The queen sits on her bottom. Thats the word we use.

English is all based on what the queen sits on.

Another trend I spotted :
Tmesis gone mad with the word 'ass' .

'There is no form of language that cannot be improved by sticking the word ass in the middle of it'
Herbert big ass hoover.

(Sorry for the interruption,normal service will resume shortly)

im classic autistic so i dont come under the term aspie, to me it just sounds like slang and its a good thing for the aspie community as they can feel connected and less alien by having a term to refer to themselves,its like the term 'autie' which is the equivilent of aspie for classic autism.

if you dont want to refer to yourself as aspie,dont-as theres no rule to it, call yourself whatever you want but youve also got autistic and autist as two of the possible terms.
aspie and autie are two terms that allows you to relate to a specific form of autism,but you dont have to do that- autistic is a term which joins the whole of the spectrum together and people outside of the autistic community will understand you if you were called autistic-they wouldnt if they heard the term aspie;its really an autistic community thing still although i use it and autie when im doing activist stuff around autism with the SS/learning [intellectual] disability team.
Hmm. I'm not too overly fond of it. It's a fun way of saying the term but it wouldn't be something I use around people who don't have Asperger's. But I don't think it's demeaning.
I've read a couple of times the word 'aspergian', though it never sounded right to me.

New Threads

Top Bottom