• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Does anybody else absolutely hate the term "aspie(s)"

Aspie is cute and I can understand why they use the label. it's like they say "labels are for cans". I would rather have a cute label if anything.

I personally just use asperger for aspergers and autistic for autistic. I am a black and white type person. And feel that Hans Aspergers may of specialized in the very thing in which he was trying to treat. So I have great respect for Hans name. I believe there is a difference between sever autism and aspergers but that we do have alot of overlapping traits.

I will have to say that aspie sounds like a cute name given to people so we can relate with on another easier and so we can feel special.

Aspie is cute and I can understand why they use the label. it's like they say "labels are for cans". I would rather have a cute label if anything.

I personally just use asperger for aspergers and autistic for autistic. I am a black and white type person. And feel that Hans Aspergers may of specialized in the very thing in which he was trying to treat. So I have great respect for Hans name. I believe there is a difference between sever autism and aspergers but that we do have alot of overlapping traits.

I will have to say that aspie sounds like a cute name given to people so we can relate with on another easier and so we can feel special.
hi clintos.
do you think aspergers is not a form of autism?
i think people,aspies in particular are still associating the word 'autism' with being another term for classic autism,and have a vision of classic autism being severe or profound,but adult high functioning classic autism can look exactly like aspergers in presentation-the only difference is the classical autist didnt start speaking till after four.
some researchers have tried to prove a difference in between aspergers and classic autism,stating classic has more issue with sensory difficulties and aspergers has more issue with motor skill difficulties,but i dont think enough research on that has been done to prove such a difference.

as for severe autism,well im severely autistic in all respects-its just my extreme challenging behavior and my speech had stabilized a couple of years ago to the point i and others think im under moderate.
i relate to some aspies ;in various ways,the only difference is my behaviors are more complex and i have heavier traits/difficulties,i have similar interests to a lot of aspies like computers and cartoons and sensory toys.

i think this is why we have the autism spectrum,it blends from one end to another,and all forms of autism are on there,no form is more 'autism' than another they just present autism differently.
i think the word 'autism' as a symbol for classic autism is out dated,it represents the whole spectrum in my view.
i respect the views of people who dont view aspergers as autism,but you do get a lot of adult aspies whose presentation is definitely autistic,aspies who are better able to emulate NT society perhaps dont feel able to relate to autistic presentations and maybe even need a seperate diagnosis such as 'social dyslexia',i dont know,what do you feel clintos or any one else? i am waffling a lot as i am on a sugar crash and sleep deprived.

...If 'aspie' is part of the name, it is saying that this site is for those who don't loathe the term.

No, it doesn't. I'm not going to explain this any further.

I hate to sound rash here, but you really should drop it already as your previous posts are confusing a new member here who's almost ready to leave. That's it from me.

Last edited:
I don't like being central.o_O

I also have no idea what that face means but it's not a central face. :confused:

Have a turkey leg :chickenleg:

(Sorry just noticed all the emojis)

A rose:rose: by any other name would smell as sweet...

I know that's not a rose.

hi clintos.
do you think aspergers is not a form of autism?
i think people,aspies in particular are still associating the word 'autism' with being another term for classic autism,and have a vision of classic autism being severe or profound,but adult high functioning classic autism can look exactly like aspergers in presentation-the only difference is the classical autist didnt start speaking till after four.
some researchers have tried to prove a difference in between aspergers and classic autism,stating classic has more issue with sensory difficulties and aspergers has more issue with motor skill difficulties,but i dont think enough research on that has been done to prove such a difference.

as for severe autism,well im severely autistic in all respects-its just my extreme challenging behavior and my speech had stabilized a couple of years ago to the point i and others think im under moderate.
i relate to some aspies ;in various ways,the only difference is my behaviors are more complex and i have heavier traits/difficulties,i have similar interests to a lot of aspies like computers and cartoons and sensory toys.

i think this is why we have the autism spectrum,it blends from one end to another,and all forms of autism are on there,no form is more 'autism' than another they just present autism differently.
i think the word 'autism' as a symbol for classic autism is out dated,it represents the whole spectrum in my view.
i respect the views of people who dont view aspergers as autism,but you do get a lot of adult aspies whose presentation is definitely autistic,aspies who are better able to emulate NT society perhaps dont feel able to relate to autistic presentations and maybe even need a seperate diagnosis such as 'social dyslexia',i dont know,what do you feel clintos or any one else? i am waffling a lot as i am on a sugar crash and sleep deprived.

I know I am on the spectrum and that aspergers is a form of autism. I also think that every single person is on the spectrum to a degree in one way, shape or form.

When I compare your ability to respond/communicate/write you seem to be more advanced then I am.

One of the reason I am on the spectrum, I believe, is that I have a communication problem some would say I need an interpreter.

My motor skills are fine and my sensory issues are fine and behavior is fine.
I may be a little awkward with my body mannerisms and the way I walk looks a little weird but all in all my motor skills are fantastic.

I feel blessed to of found this site, which is why I support it. it has taught me more about myself then I ever could of. I know I am not alone with my condition.

It's just I feel autism is a spectrum and you and I are at the some spot practically, just in different ways. I feel that people can slide up and down the spectrum.

Say for example 100% represents NT and 0% represents severe autism, I believe we are at the 60-75% of the spectrum.

I believe social dyslexia would be more appropriate for my condition imo. but then I wouldn't have found this site.

For example I think a lot of us also have other conditions ontop of our autism like schizo-affective disorder/schizophrenia, bi polar, anxieties,ADHD,agoraphobia and depression.

I guess you can say that I am not an advocate of labels but that they do come in handle to diagnose someone and figure out what actions should be best taken.

I definitely am not pro being labeled an autistic, it is not something I am proud of. But I accept that I have it, and chose to fight it, instead of a embracing it, no disrespect.

I'll probably get kicked off this site for my views but that is ok.

Last edited:
I don't know how I feel about it, I find it to be a little too cutesy or even demeaning. How do you feel about it? ...or maybe give me some perspective on it so I can feel better and not be annoyed at the term? haha, thanks!
i don,t dislike the term aspies im just not sure of it.

Being called an Aspie feels just as fitting to me, personally, as being called a girlie. I'm a tall, grown-ass 31-year old woman. Anything that sounds diminutive sounds a little weird applied to me :p

I don't like the name fork, but I am not going to eat my steak with a spoon.

I think I am relatively indifferent about the use of the term 'aspie,' and therefore indifferent about the name of the site as well. I've used the term, but really as just an abbreviation.

No, it doesn't. I'm not going to explain this any further.

I hate to sound rash here, but you really should drop it already as your previous posts are confusing a new member here who's almost ready to leave. That's it from me.
Jonathan, I understand your feeling of frustration; I felt a little twinge of it myself. Which in turn made me recall how I felt when others became angry towards me, furious even, when I couldn't let go of something. And I mean I could not, not would not.

I just had to pause: the emotions brought on by thinking about this are surprisingly strong.

Like some, many?, most?, here, I know what it's like to figuratively lose my voice because I feel that I'm not fitting in or that I am not being accepted. I would rather not be the one who makes another feel that way. I'm not always this wonderful, but I work at it...

Aspie feels warm, welcoming, non-threatening, at least to me. I like these characteristics when I'm around others who also are on the spectrum.

It's up to you whether or not the name of the site stops you from wanting to post. It's not up to anyone else. I hope you feel welcome and stay :)

I'm fine with it. It doesn't sound as "medicalised" as "Asperger's Syndrome", and it's part of my identity.

It doesn't have the problematic historical baggage that (for example) "Queer" has for some LGBTQ people, men especially, for whom it was a term of abuse before being "reclaimed"; whereas for some of us, it has a broader definition in terms of not being part of the heteronormative world.

@WereBear - Nor should anyone who accesses this site, even without posting.
On the whole, this thread is pointless because of the site's name.

The name of the site does not tell you peoples opinion about the term aspie, therefore the thread can't be pointless. If someone posts a question they have the thread is not pointless if it gives them an answer to their question.

Aspie is a term that people can use to refer to themselves or others in a less clinical way since autism and aspergers are used in medical or neurological circles.

Most people have an opinion of what they think autism is. I would feel absolutely disingenuine saying I am autistic because that does not fit the image that people have of autism. Saying I am an aspie or aspergers seems more appropriate for me as an individual. It does sound cutesy as others have commented but that works for me since I am female. If I was a guy I might not like the term.

I'm Aspie Proud! I wouldn't be the champion golfer I am without the obsession that. Aspies are famous for.

"Aspie" is slang. It is taken from the name of the person who first officially described the syndrome. Since the most recent revision of the medical terms book [I never can remember the name but recognize when I see it written] there is no such thing as "Aspie." We are all HFA. Or LFA. Maybe. Are those terms defined? Or are we all just "Autistic" ???

Since the most recent revision of the medical terms book [I never can remember the name but recognize when I see it written] there is no such thing as "Aspie." We are all HFA. Or LFA. Maybe. Are those terms defined? Or are we all just "Autistic" ???

Only if you abide by the medical protocols of the DSM-V established in May, 2013 which changed the diagnostic process and definition of Aspergers Syndrome to "Autism Spectrum Disorder". Though there are plenty of other medical communities abroad who follow other medical protocols like the ICD-10.

If you're looking for one conclusive, absolute explanation that all medical professionals abide by, you won't find it.

As for the term "Aspie", it's claimed to have been coined by author Liane Holliday Willey.

I'm proud to be an Aspie. It took me many years to accept my diagnosis and Aspie is an affectionate term for someone with Asperger's Syndrome. That's me. There's nothing wrong with the name.

I'd rather be called an Aspie than an Autistic!

New Threads

Top Bottom