• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I talk to myself when I am upset about something, and I talk to my cats all the time. I know they can't understand everything I'm saying but I think they understand my tone.

I talk to myself whenever I need to "monologue" about my special interests, which is pretty much every single day.

There are a couple of people in my life who are willing to sit through my monologues, but one of them recently admitted that she feels "drained" after listening to me, so I've been trying to keep the monologues to myself.

I used to monologue to my cat too, back when I still had her. Pets are fantastic listeners.

Same for me with all that, plus I have conversations in my head with an imagined other, usually for the purposes of rehearsing a conversation or what I'm going to say (which is a bad habit because things never go to plan like that).

admitted that she feels "drained" after listening to me

Story of my life. My family can only bear so much talk about the current news in science and engineering. I need to find someone who can bore me with my own special interests. One can only dream...

Also, quiet new here. How do I quote on mobile?

admitted that she feels "drained" after listening to me

Story of my life. My family can only bear so much talk about the current news in science and engineering. I need to find someone who can bore me with my own special interests. One can only dream...

Also, quiet new here. How do I quote on mobile?

Don't worry, I found your quote. :blush: (Not sure how to help you with mobile, because I only browse this site on my desktop...)

Anyway, yeah, the person who said that my monologues "drained" her was my mom. My major special interest at the moment is visual novels (basically interactive fiction/Choose Your Own Adventure games with anime-style graphics). While I enjoy playing them I'm much more interested in developing them myself for fun.

There's a new visual novel creation software that's coming out on November 16th, and that's all I've been talking about with my mom for the past several months. As the date draws nearer, the developers keep showing little teaser images on their Facebook page and it just makes me even more excited and impatient to get my hands on it.

I could go on and on for hours about visual novels and the types of software used to make them. I find the topic so fascinating that I can't imagine why anyone would feel bored with it. Oh well. :persevere:

I do, more than I realized. Maybe it’s calming or it helps me think. But when someone jokes about it, that feels very intrusive and hurtful.

Related issue: sometimes in public I’ll “hear” in my mind a funny joke or comment I remember from before and start visibly and audibly laughing at it. That’s when strangers really try to keep their distance from me.

d8d11dbb753e35e0f42ebf7a0ea4f0f4.jpg

:p

Is it normal for Autistic people to talk to themselves when they have no one to talk to? I remember I was a kid and I was isolated because my mother feared the predatory aspects of society. She kept me inside the house until I was 10. Even then she kept a close eyes on me. I had no friends because I kept getting bullied by other members of my peer group. I wasn't very well socialized and everyone knew that. I have engaged in this habit of talking to myself numerous times. My relatives make fun of me for it. My mother accepted it before, but now she's trying to discourage me. My father bullied me over it and he thought I was schizophrenic. He threatened to have me committed to an asylum the foolish bastard he was. Is it normal for Autistic people like me to talk to themselves? Do any of you talk to yourselves? I talk to myself because I have no one to talk to. I'm not schizophrenic. I have OCD and social anxiety. That's it.

I tend to talk to myself at times it helps me keep track of things, do others do too? Or am ia freak? I got echolalia and pallalia but its not always the case when i talk to myself, sometimes is but other time i have nobody to talk to but myself.people judge me for talking to myself i explain it helps me keep track of things.

Yes I talk to myself. Usually on my solo walks. After all, I'm my own best friend.

Now that a mask hides my mouth movements, I no longer have to pretend I'm on a bluetooth.

TLDR

“For tasks with a multistep sequence,
talking to yourself out loud can help you keep out distractions and
remind yourself where you are.”

The Benefits of Talking to Yourself

That's a great link, Tree. Thanks for posting it. I'm reassured now that what I've always done is not only acceptable, it's actually beneficial. I often use third person when talking out loud. "You need to go to the store today." "It's what we need to do." I wondered if I do that because I feel my brain and my body are separate from each other.

This from the article you linked resonated with me:

"Even how you refer to yourself when talking to yourself can make a difference. Mr. Kross and his colleagues studied the impact of internal self-talk — talking to yourself in your head — to see how it can affect attitudes and feelings. They found that when their subjects talked about themselves in the second or third person — for example, “You can do this” or “Jane can do this” instead of “I can do this” — not only did they feel less anxiety while performing, but their peers also rated their performances better. Mr. Kross said this was because of self-distancing: focusing on the self from the distanced perspective of a third person, even though that person is you."

I talk to myself i function better when i do, i plan scheduals ahead of time when i talk to myself. What to do today and the rest of the week i talk to myself.

One of my most visible ASD symptoms is self-talk, which I try to keep in my head when around others. It's extremely difficult for me to keep my monologue on the inside, though, and I've been told that it's very distracting for others to hear me (quietly) speaking to myself or to see my lips moving without any sound coming out - I can understand why they would feel this way.

One of my coping strategies has been to cover my mouth with my hand when this occurs, but that has led to co-workers asking me why I'm always touching my face.

For those of you with this symptom or who have been around it - what are some ways that you manage it?

New Threads

Top Bottom