• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Yes, I do this, mainly when I need to remember something or to stay focused.

I talk aloud to myself all the time. Sometimes it's just an interjection, like swearing or something when I stub my toe. That's pretty universal, I think. But I also go through my side of conversations, or get into complex monologues very often. My inner monologue can't help but come out. My visual thinking process and my imagination are so strong that I find myself completely enveloped by what I see in my mind. Reliving memories means I end up feeling as though I'm really there. Same goes for preparing for future social interaction.

When I walk through the supermarket or charity shop I talk aloud but it's fairly quiet. I try to keep in inside so I just move my mouth slightly but it's pretty hard!

My psychologist was surprised when I emphatically agreed that I talk aloud to myself. Thing is, sometimes I talk to myself (e.g. In the supermarket, when searching for something), and sometimes I'm not talking to myself, I'm just talking to people who aren't physically there at the time. :) Talking aloud to nobody helps me put my thoughts in order.

I can relate to much of what you are saying. I can start a conversation in my head, then finish it off out loud.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with talking to yourself. It's therapeutic, helpful and re-assuring.

However, the pills I'm taking seem to reduce my desire to talk to myself, which I kind of miss.

Oh yes, all the time. Always have very interesting conversations with myself

The drawback is when my imagination is so good in the results, but the reality does not go like that, and I am left drained and promising to not do that again, but my brain seems to always want to contradict that and so, now I am a bit more realistic and compromise lol and say: OK, dream away, but realise it is a dream and it does seem to work.

Oh and I could win talents contests for my singing, as long as they tap into my mind

All the time. It's almost more like thinking out loud, or perhaps my thinking is more like silently talking to myself. But anyway, sometimes I do it as a form of patter, like I didn't know what to say once so I said "Hey David, is it a one Xanax day or a two Xanax day?" "I dunno, I'm thinking it's a two" "I agree. Good talk, other David." Pulled some yucks, dodged an awkward situation. Point being, talking to yourself doesn't always have to be creepy!

I'm quite well known for giving myself tellings off ie 'Well done kaz, you spaz'
Or laugh and call my self an idiot for something I've got myself into which clearly had 'DANGER' written all over it.

I find myself alone alot. And i talk to myself, and answer myself.
As if hearing my voice coming from someone else. I can respond to it, and build on it.
I do it alot when trying to figure out problems. And, lol, I will have to distinct accents and tone.

As the Aspie Marilyn Monroe said " I am alone, always alone" and I am just like that, in fact no one calls me by phone, since I do not like the sound of a phone ringing, or enjoying speaking on them.
I very seldom have company here, and find I do not really want any the vast majority of the "time".
I very regularly talk with myself, and have for many years.

Yes! Lol definitely when I know I'm alone though and it's a whisper to myself usually in front of my bedroom mirror. I've had some epic and intense whispering debates with myself. Also it enables me to progress my internal fantasy storylines I have in my head. Tbh I don't think I could have coped in my life if I somehow couldn't have talked to myself. It's kind of a soothing thing. I almost always do it when I'm stressed.

I do too, often talking myself through some type of problem
When playing golf, sometime I'll talk myself through my setup and pre-shot routine, sometimes right to the top of my back swing. If I'm pulling up carts, & I park one a little crooked I'll fuss at myself & park it again.

I don't know if I'm just a mad woman, but I have the tendency to talk to myself, often, sometimes even in public. I actually can't help it. I've had people ask me who I'm talking to on the phone, until they realise I don't have one, and have been picked on for it many a time. Sometimes I'm talking just to get things straightened out in my head, encouragement, or I'm walking through situations that I might be in later or simply talking to made-up people. Super normal right?:p I'm not quite sure what to do about this, because I really can't seem to stop without losing it and spiralling into a full-on meltdown (the talking helps me handle anxiety). Does anybody else do it? And how do you do this without looking quite mad? I think I'm just going to have to carry my phone around with me and talk as though I had any friends to ring in the first place. "No I'm not crazy... What are you talking about?"

Oh yeah, I do it constantly. It's how I "sort things out." People that know me are used to it and tend to ignore me when I'm in "that mode." I also do it when I'm "scripting." That's when I play scenarios through my head for when I am preparing for some sort of social interaction. I would venture to say that's it's a regular "Aspie thing."
Cool, not crazy then.

Yeah, I talk to myself all the time - sometimes repeating what I've read in a book/article or repeating lines I've heard from a film, other times venting my frustration when something has angered or upset me, etc.
The scenarios vary and sometimes I start doing it without even realising, which can catch me off guard if someone (usually my mum) asks me who I'm talking to.

If I'm in public I try not to 'act out' a conversation in my head. If I feel the urge to laugh I have my phone or book in hand to look at to mask my happiness because I'm nearly always alone and it would look weird laughing by myself at nothing from other peoples' view. I actually laugh at something that did happen.

If I'm in public I try not to 'act out' a conversation in my head. If I feel the urge to laugh I have my phone or book in hand to look at to mask my happiness because I'm nearly always alone and it would look weird laughing by myself at nothing from other peoples' view. I actually laugh at something that did happen.
lol,i act out conversations verbally,as its part of my echolalia but i think its just my brain processing what they were saying as it takes me a long time to properly process language.

i dont talk to myself,i use as little verbal speech as possible as non echolalic,free speech overloads me,my dad who is aspie however speaks to himself constantly,and if he isnt doing that he talks about his favourite obsession-the weather to any bugger who will stop walking for him and listen.

I find that when I need to script something for a future real-life conversation that I do in fact say it verbally out loud to myself. Of course it's something I always do in private.

I can't recall ever talking to myself and having someone see it and give me strange looks. But then maybe these days it doesn't matter considering all the folks wandering about talking with a Bluetooth device in their ear that isn't so noticeable. :p

New Threads

Top Bottom