• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you sign in when you play games online?

Mia

V.I.P Member
Almost never do, don't want to chat, just want to play. Usually play against the computer when I play scrabble or other games like it. Don't care to socialize with others players as I really don't want to know them.

Do you do the 'socializing' thing? Or do you play on your own against unknown or fabricated players? Find that with a lot of online games, people cheat at times to hold on to their point averages, when playing if they are losing, they just leave the game. So their status won't go down. Experienced this a lot, it just seems like lying about yourself for some sort of trophy. Probably why I don't like to play with random players.

Last edited:
I don't do many online games against people- but yes I do sign in. Most games require it these days. I don't generally socialize during games I play- Hearthstone (has no proper chat unless you friend someone first) and some others is about all I play anymore for multiplayer/online games. Hearthstone has a decent system for quitters- if they do it often, they wont get certain rewards. More games need that to penalize the "ragequitters" that wreck so many games..lol. Also..I use to play a bit of stuff on Pogo- might try that site again one day.

But overall- I prefer my single player games. I play a ton of Don't Starve, Spelunky, Rogue Legacy, some of the classic Super Mario Bros games, RPGs and so on. If I want to socialize- I use forums, chat rooms, Discord and so on. I'm shy a bit usually, so it's mostly typing to people.. I don't use a microphone or headset to voice chat much.

I used to. I used to live my life on online games. Not anymore, the general online community has just become too toxic. Sure, I could shrug off a bad experience with another player, but why should I have to? All single player these days.

Played a lot of early Doom, Heretic and RPG's early on. Once I got reached the top levels and I knew where everything was, what to do, couldn't play them anymore. So I stopped.

Don't really miss them all that much. Would have liked games that were more complex in a way that interested me. More problems to solve, less weaponry and killing I guess.

Last edited:
I swear all this hermit Penguin wants to do is play the game. I can't stand all these modern games have all this social crap. It doesn't work for hermits.

Played a lot of early Doom, Heretic and RPG's early on. Once I got reached the top levels and I knew where everything was, what to do, couldn't play them anymore. So I stopped.

Don't really miss them all that much. Would have liked games that were more complex in a way that interested me. More problems to solve, less weaponry and killing I guess.

There's a bit of puzzle games that require a bit of thinking and problem solving. A lot of point and click style games are fun! I recommend Maniac Mansion and Day of the Tentacle to name a few.

Almost never do, don't want to chat, just want to play. Usually play against the computer when I play scrabble or other games like it. Don't care to socialize with others players as I really don't want to know them.

Do you do the 'socializing' thing? Or do you play on your own against unknown or fabricated players? Find that with a lot of online games, people cheat at times to hold on to their point averages, when playing if they are losing, they just leave the game. So their status won't go down. Experienced this a lot, it just seems like lying about yourself for some sort of trophy. Probably why I don't like to play with random players.
i don't play online because i don't have xbox live.

I don't really play online games. I might do the little co-op for some but I haven't done that for quite a while. I have no interest, they have no interest in communicating either so I don't see the point. It's better with bots or no one in general because then no one is trying to do stuff as fast as possible.

Playing competitively gives me anxiety so I don't do that. Although I would like to over come that with exposure.

I'm also sick of games where I need a damn account to play.

I don't mind playing online with strangers, but they can jog on if they think I'm going to have chat on.

I love chatting with a computer opponent. I just wish they'd stop calling me "Dave". :rolleyes:

220px-HAL9000.svg.png

Last edited:
On the rare occasion that I do play online against live opponents, my motto is "less talk, more action". I can brush off most of the stupidity up to a certain point, but if someone's acting really exceptional then that's my cue to hang it up and do something else.

Most of the time though, I prefer single-player or going up against AI - after all, there are dozens of ways to kill time and have a little fun without the thrill of competition, right?

It depends.

On one hand, I dont really want to socialize, or deal with screaming idiots.

On the other hand... it doesnt matter what game it is: In any game designed for multiplayer, AI opponents are no match for me. Never have been, never will be. PARTICULARLY in fighting games. And Mobas (like League of Legends), where the AI gives new meaning to the word "stupid". It's just too dumb, too predictable, too easy. And I'll not even speak about strategy games like Civ.

So if I want to get anything resembling a challenge, I *must* face off against other actual players.

The problem is that AI technology simply isnt even close to advanced enough for this sort of thing. Developers always try to make AI that plays like an actual person, but it fails miserably every time, because the tech just plain isnt there. The best thing is to make an AI that actually acts like a freaking AI. Like my favorite strategy game, AI War, which is sort of a combination of an RTS (that you can pause, and issue orders while paused) and a 4X game (but without the political elements... it's pure war and conquest). There's no competitive multiplayer: The focus is on battling against the AI in procedurally generated campaigns. It has, without a doubt, the best AI I've ever seen. It'll do things that are unexpected, it'll thwart your plans in ways you didnt prepare for, it'll analyze your defenses and find ways to break through. However, the reason it works is because the game is asymmetrical (also because the developer specializes in AI in a general sense). The AI never pretends to be human. It's a freaking monstrous AI and it knows it, and it has it's own stuff that you cannot use, and it's own rules (which are just as strict as yours), and it's the same the other way around. It's one of the most complicated and difficult games I'm aware of, and it's freaking fantastic. Learning curve from hell, but still, superb game, endless challenge and replay value, no need for other players.

But the moment you give me something like Civ or whatever, where the AI simply tries to be human, you've given me something that'll put me to sleep, because it just cant do it. I've given games like that a chance so many times, and every time, I just end up really bored.

I will say though that when I do log in and play against others in any game, I generally mute everyone else, because screw it. I learn what my role is, and I perform that role, and that's that. It actually tends to work out pretty well, but it depends on the game. It's a HORRIBLE approach for Dota for instance, but it's great in Heroes of the Storm (which seems designed to accept that type of playstyle). And really, I've found that NOT muting people is, well... pointless. When playing with randoms, most of the time they're just unhelpful. They either A: dont have anything useful to say, B: give advice that gets you killed alot, or C: scream a bunch and spray insults.

And that last one absolutely baffles me: Why play a game if all it's doing is making you super freaking angry? What in the heck is the point?

I always sign in when I'm gaming, for the achievements, but I don't play online, purely because due to my hearing aid I can't use the chat headset.

I swear all this hermit Penguin wants to do is play the game. I can't stand all these modern games have all this social crap. It doesn't work for hermits.
same here.
i have never played an online game before, excluding roblox a couple of years ago,but i didnt chat on that as i cant do instant chat and i would see people commenting nastily about me because i wasnt doing things right, so i gave up.

everytime i bought a xbox 360 game that demanded an xbox live connection i just gave it to my sisters husband,yes i would have lost a lot of money but i am not becoming an online player, i need to take my own time playing and i am not fast because i mentally or visually cannot process quickly so....screw online playing.

New Threads

Top Bottom