• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you really care if it is New Year's Eve?

Aspieistj

I have never been able to understand why anyone gives a damn about the 31st unless they are big drinkers and look forward to getting trashed. So, when I wake up it will be 1-1-14--so what? I don't have any foolish notions that tomorrow will be the first day of a special year. One year follows another and we can't do a thing to change that. I'm not turning 18 or 21 or getting married or anything special in 2014. I might die, but don't expect to. It will still be winter here, there will still be wars and ugliness, and just because the decade has changed I don't expect any special good luck in '14. My parents always had the same couple over on the 31st, they played cards and drank beer or Rye and Ginger, we kids were allowed a sip of a drink, and my mother made everyone sit at the table and hold hands and kiss at midnight. I absolutely HATED having to kiss anyone, and it was always on the lips! I live alone and will watch TV and read, as I do any other night. At 8PM NPR will broadcast the Capitol Steps New Year's performance and that is the only thing I look forward to. I just learned that some people have a special dinner on the 1st. I did buy a half pound of shrimp because it was on sale and I will eat that whenever I decide I want it. So--do other Aspies feel nothing for most holidays? I gave and received no Christmas presents and I don't mind at all. I haven't had a tree for many years. I loved Christmas when I had little kids and also when we went to church and sang carols. Neither of my kids are parents, they are now quite certain they are Atheists, and the only recognition of Christmas is that they call me. One is local and the other is in CA. Am I terrible, even by Aspie standards or do others feel as I do?

To me, it's mostly just another day on the calendar, but I suppose a new year still has some kind of symbolic importance to me that I can't entirely get away from.

Actually they're forecasting 2014 to be a very bad year economically speaking. I'm really not looking forward to the new year at all. That's why I'm doing the same thing this night like I do every other night - I'm going to exercise then either watch a romantic comedy on the couch with Waldo or read one of my books or knit then have my nightcap of my usual 2 glasses of red wine (cause it's good for the heart, you know). Then tomorrow my big plan is to make "pigs in a blanket" (with fat free hotdogs of course) while I lounge in my favorite clothes -MY JAMMIES! Happy New Year to All Aspies!!!!!! I'm sure it will be a much happier new year since I have met all of you!!!!!

Not only do I not care that a new year's a-comin', this is my least favourite holiday on the entire calendar.

That said, the day off is nice.

Also, my life has always tended to revolve around renewal occurring in September, so I treat Labour Day as my unofficial new year.

To me it is just another number on the calender, if I remember to look at the calender, same goes for my birthday.:sleep:

I can't say I spend time on New Year's Eve going to parties and stuff, but I like spending time with friends and family, and I use the time to reflect on my conduct during the past year. I try to think about what mistakes I've made, and what I've done right, so I can improve during the new year.

I only wish I could've been with my boyfriend tonight. But I'll make up for it the next time I see him. :)

Same I don't understand why it's such a big deal for people to drink, to me it's like any other day nothing really special happens
It's an ordinary day
See no point in making resolutions either cause I would just forget about it

Birthdays are the same for me tbh mines on the 7th of jan but it's just a normal day to me same for all holidays

We always stay up for New Year's Eve and let the old year out of the back door and the new year in through the front. It's a family tradition and I'm kind of superstitious about not doing it. Most year's if we step out of the door with a glass in our hands neighbours who are doing the same will call out a greeting - not last night though since it was raining heavily.

I like the symbolic idea of a 'fresh start', but I don't go crazy over it like some do - went out with the boyfriend and we saw some very overdressed people wearing very little! And you have the novelty factor of if you're doing something at midnight on NYE you can say "I've been doing this for 2 years ;)".

I don't think aspies would in general want to go out in a large crowd being noisy and drunk?! I fell asleep last night on the sofa waiting for the midnight fireworks on the telly, spilling my glass of water all over me! Yup, I'm getting too old to stay awake that long, and I'm so teatotal that a glass of bubbly(water) is my idea of a nice drink! yay!

At least every year allows us to try and put past mistakes behind us and look forward to making fresh new ones! :p

I don't see it as a symbolic importance, but it is a new day of a new year, a way to keep a record of time, so if the worst things happened to me in 2013, instead of saying "1 year ago or half a year ago, this happened" or "the space of time between 5 days ago and 370 days ago was the worst period of my life", I can say "2013 was my worst year". It would sound silly saying it like the first things. A new year means a refresh of the record, starting the timer again. They are significant. And I am atheist but I do celebrate Christmas, why? Because it's an excuse to get presents and celebrate, and a similar thing goes for the New Year. I'm not just sad and sit around and treat every day the same, that would be depressing.

I'm way late on this thread, but I don't really care very much when it is New Year's Eve either. Like has been said, it seems like just an excuse for many people to party and get drunk. It's ironic because my wife and I were saying for days leading up to it how it is pretty much one of our least favorite holidays. About the only thing I like about New Year's is a day off of work. :D

What nye means to me:

Sleep. Then watch the fireworks. Then sleep again.

Otherwise it's just another day.

Couldn't care less. It's just one of the few fricking parties of the year that I can't get out of. I just take my kindle, have a beer (my yearly binge, here comes the intervention), and read so determinedly and obviously that most just ignore me. Fine by me, thanks for playing along folks! Can we go now? It's bloody late I want to sleep.

Although under 60, i like to hammer on the wall like an old man complaining about the neighbours music.

I'm 48. Do you think I should be starting this soon myself, then? What's the optimal age to get into the game? What are your thoughts about "Stay off my lawn!", while we're at it?

Couldn't care less. It's just one of the few fricking parties of the year that I can't get out of. I just take my kindle, have a beer (my yearly binge, here comes the intervention), and read so determinedly and obviously that most just ignore me. Fine by me, thanks for playing along folks! Can we go now? It's bloody late I want to sleep.

Just curious - exactly why can't you get out of it? Is there some law requiring one to party on New Year's Eve? If so, it's time to move. ;) If not, trust me, there exists some method of getting out. (One year I deliberately scheduled a Greyhound trip (that I was taking anyway) that went through midnight. I was literally the only passenger on the bus for the last five hours.)

New Threads

Top Bottom