• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you really care if it is New Year's Eve?

Re: Trying to get away from the party "fun."
I have made a concerted effort to withdraw from all socialization. I do have to shop and deal with some business people and, on occasion, speak to my neighbors. I remain in touch with my kids but one is 3000 away and the other is as much a hermit as I (not an Apsie, but an alcoholic). After I retired and allowed myself to peel off the layers of "required" interpersonal interaction, I began to encounter a few people who vehemently insisted that I continue to socialize with them. I actually told them that I had chosen to be alone as much as possible because I was tired of people trying to "fix" me, and also of my constant social mistakes that offended people. Most of these people already knew I was an Aspie, had often complained that I was weird, and were told I chose to be alone rather than continue to offend people. Unbelievable! They protested loudly and often that they "loved" me, that I was a wonderful person and they had always enjoyed my company. ********! With every impassioned plea for continued contact these people who insisted I needed to remain social, they all did, indeed, forgive my Aspiness. The frequent invitations continued for a long time from my "best" friend who is an RN and had decided I required "fixing" after I told her I was an Aspie. She just offered gems of wisdom like asking why I didn't just learn from previous "mistakes." She was sooo sad each time I declined an invitation. Never once, did she apologize for failing to realize I had a neurological condition and wasn't just an oaf and a *****. This, from an RN with psych experience! It took a very long time for people to stop insisting I absolutely had to attend some interaction with them and others.
I first complained here about the foolish party behavior of New Year's Eve because there was absolutely nothing to watch on TV except frequent "news" spots showing the progress of the evening at Times Square. I read a lot more than usual between Thanksgiving and January 2nd.

New Threads

Top Bottom